It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happens After Unemplyment Runs Out?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Ever since returning from iraq in janaury i have been unemployed because the company i worked for went out of buisness while i was gone. Anyway, what do you think is going to happen when all the people on unemployment run out of bennifets.I read somewere that somone has predicted a certain timeframe when the unemployment benifets will run out, when will that be?
do you think that that will be the beginning of the peoples uprise against the government or is that when TSHTF and people take to the streets taking what they need by force? Just currius of what this forum thinks will happen.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
No problem, a new stimulus and print more trillions or more likely find a way to exterminate the unemployed. God only knows what kind of fate awaits us all.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
i'm in the same boat with my family, my dad just lost his job.

and yes, people will take to the streets if it comes down to their survival.

the army did a study once on this, they said that within 7 days with no food, people are willing to actually kill for food.

the survival instinct takes over.

after unemployment runs out, i think most people will try to get assistence from their family.

its at the point where the family can no longer survive that people will begin rioting and committing crime in order to survive.

Since you are former military, I recommend going back to school and taking out max student loans as well as the GI Bill. You should be able to survive just fine on those loans.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by mnemeth1]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I am one of those currently getting unemployment. They just approved another round. Make sure you dont miss it.

I will keep reapplying until the cows come home. I look for jobs but there are none to be had here.

Good luck to you.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
After six months you can file for an extension, at least you can here in Arkansas. I'll probably be doing that in the next few weeks since I too have been out of work since January.

After that, who knows. If worse comes to worse I have one heck of a tent. I'll find one of those tent cities and start telling fortunes with my Tarot cards. People love fortune tellers in a time of crisis.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Well, first of all Unemployment figures represent only those who are currently on Unemployment Insurance. So, when they say there is 17% Unemployment in Detroit, that means there are currently 17% of their workforce currently eligible and claiming benefits. The actual number of Unemployed is much higher, being those that are not eligible (because they were fired, or they quit their jobs), and those who are no longer receiving it because they exceeded the amount of time for Unemployment Insurance that they could claim. However, there is no easy way to get figures of those actually unemployed, so they use the one number they can easily track which is the number of people currently receiving Unemployment Benefits.

Secondly, States should *NOT* be running out of Unemployment Insurance. This is money that is held in Trust and paid for either in part or in full by a Tax on Employers (which is why they can contest an Unemployment Claim) and in some States, partially by the Employee through a mandatory State Withholding (which for those that have a stigma about receiving Unemployment, since you paid for it in those States, it's your money, not a hand-out!). Each State may handle this fund differently, but unless they mismanaged it then it shouldn't ever run out.

Third, Unemployment Insurance is not meant to buy you time to look for a job. It is meant to help support you while you find new Employment. Of course, in these tough economic times that is easier said than done. However, as you are receiving no more than 70% of your Average Weekly Gross during the previous 18 months, it shouldn't be too hard to find a lesser job that pays you 70% of what you previously earned.

Fourth, it is true that Unemployed Masses are unhappy masses. Idle hands are the Devil's playthings. However, is it enough to get the people to revolt? I don't personally believe so. It will definitely leave a lot of people disenfranchised with the system. Many may even protest. However, the government can't be blamed, at least not entirely for Unemployment. The blame rests primarily on the Corporations and Financial Institutions that failed, were mismanaged, were run by the corrupt and the greedy, that moved manufacturing plants and jobs overseas to save a few cents per employee. I wouldn't mind seeing a few old fashioned Lynch Mobs running about grabbing CEOs off of Wall Street (it would give new meaning to the name "Merrill Lynch"), but revolting against the government for unemployment is kind of like cutting off your nose to spite your face...especially when government has given us far better reasons to scream for dramatic political reform.

That's my .02 cents worth any way.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Sorry Mr Wuppy, but apply for unemployment and the health insurance and keep reaplying until the day comes when there is no unemployment for anyone.

YOU are entitled to it. I'd still buy the tent with the unemployment $$ though.

Blessings.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
unfort that seems to the plan that is bieng implemented by the real world leaders in every country around the world.....

Eventualy we all get the boot and are sent to work in Goverment institutions for bugger all pay in order to keep the world elite in power and us as slaves....

Lets hope if there is some kind of life out in the Universe it makes itself know so we can shake up the world and get it back on track in order to bring world peace and the erradication of world povery etc....

one can only sit and wait.....

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
They'll be sure to time when the biggest numbers of people dropping off the dole with the declaired "national emergency" tied in with the Swine Flu. That way, they'll find lots of ready and willing volunteers who'll be working on the mandatory vaccination teams coming to a town near you.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

I'm betting there will be another federal extension act by late fall, there is no way they will let that many people fall through the cracks since the social service and charity sectors already are strained. My guess is it will be announced sometime in October, especially if we do get dragged into the Israel-Iran mess that has been postulated. A great diversion and I remember people predicting they would never issue the first extension.

Hate to bring this up but some type of volunteer work in exchange for room and board, like the much ballyhooed national service, would be a pretty good temporary fix at this point. It would get people off the street, fed and doing productive work that could go a long way for the emotional state.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Well im glad to see that people beleive that the system will wok for the people when the unemplyment runs out,, or doesnt run out.
As far as finding a job that pays 25hr these days like my old job,, well that isnt happin.. what is sad is that, at all the jobs ive been looking at,, they couldnt even pay me to match what i make a week on unemployment. I think it sucks that employers know that the economy is bad and there usiing it to there advantage to hire cheap labor.. oh well, what can ya do right?

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Soup.

2- Lines.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sapperranger04

Just be glad they are hiring Americans and not illegals. That is more than can be said for a lot of Florida companies, ahem.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I ran out of unemployment in Louisiana after Katrina ruined the dialysis center I worked at.

Luckily, I have been able to survive, based on good friends and family, and my partner, who went to work this last year around the country to support us, but who got injured on the job. (He has MS)

While he has a court case pending, we are living a frugal lifestyle on the unemployment his lawyer told him to collect, until his case goes to court, as he has a grievance against his workers comp company also.

We sold our home, and live in a 5th wheel camper. It's perfect for us, and our small pets, and we can take it anywhere.

Whenever we go to the grocery store, I make sure to purchase bags of rice, and dried beans and some canned goods for when we are really in a pinch.

We shop at salvage stores for any items that do not include meat, or dairy.

We also have a garden, and we swap produce with other people in the area. Corn for watermelons, okra for greens.

People need to start getting creative. Make plans for when and if your money supply completely dries up.

We keep our fuel tanks full, and our holding tanks for water full also.

We only buy what we need when we need it. Even our internet is shared with the people next door to us. We split the bill.

America needs a wake up call. We have lived to excess in a lot of cases, and have forgotten how our parents, grandparents, etc... survived without trips to the mall, and buying everything we want on a whim, putting crap on credit cards.

There is always a way to survive, and it might not be pretty, but just doable. If you can cope, you will get by just fine.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
I ran out of unemployment in Louisiana after Katrina ruined the dialysis center I worked at.

Luckily, I have been able to survive, based on good friends and family, and my partner, who went to work this last year around the country to support us, but who got injured on the job. (He has MS)

While he has a court case pending, we are living a frugal lifestyle on the unemployment his lawyer told him to collect, until his case goes to court, as he has a grievance against his workers comp company also.

We sold our home, and live in a 5th wheel camper. It's perfect for us, and our small pets, and we can take it anywhere.

Whenever we go to the grocery store, I make sure to purchase bags of rice, and dried beans and some canned goods for when we are really in a pinch.

We also have a garden, and we swap produce with other people in the area. Corn for watermelons, okra for greens.

People need to start getting creative. Make plans for when and if your money supply completely dries up.

We keep our fuel tanks full, and our holding tanks for water full also.

We only buy what we need when we need it. Even our internet is shared with the people next door to us. We split the bill.

America needs a wake up call. We have lived to excess in a lot of cases, and have forgotten how our parents, grandparents, etc... survived without trips to the mall, and buying everything we want on a whim, putting crap on credit cards.

There is always a way to survive, and it might not be pretty, but just doable. If you can cope, you will get by just fine.

Man, im sorry to hear about your bad fortunes. Im glad to hear that you are getting by and have a sence of hope and security. Its people like you that others should be envius of. You took a bad situation and made the best of it. All i can say is Awsome.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by sapperranger04

Man, im sorry to hear about your bad fortunes. Im glad to hear that you are getting by and have a sence of hope and security. Its people like you that others should be envius of. You took a bad situation and made the best of it. All i can say is Awsome.

Well, thanks, I'm blushing!

I consider myself very lucky, and a testament to the thought that if there is a will, there is a way.

If I can do it, anybody can!

edit to fix quote

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Blanca Rose]

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Personally, I think people will start bartering for services more. It makes sense and if I were in a situation where I didn't have a job, etc, I'd find a way to offer my skills in exchange for goods in order to survive.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Wow... First, I'm sorry about your bad luck... But I find it EXTREMELY ironic that the current state of our country, and the 'powers that be' have actually CREATED the perfect situation which enables the 'average' citizen to evolve into the survivalist.

I'm a survivalist... Spent the time, energy and money to be able to take care of myself, with the barest of essentials, as an animal in the wilderness... This I imagine should frighten or at least be looked down upon by "tptb"... But here they are, CREATING these individuals... It's priceless..

I'm glad you're starting to see your situation as an opportunity, because I believe it truly is, and that you're being groomed to become some of the few who will actually be prepared for the tribulations of the future...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janitor From Mars
Personally, I think people will start bartering for services more. It makes sense and if I were in a situation where I didn't have a job, etc, I'd find a way to offer my skills in exchange for goods in order to survive.

Sorry had to add, that it's odd that the communities of generations ago, which survived EXACTLY as Janitor describes, have become so novel as to refer to them as some sort of last resort...

This I've always felt is a huge problem with our culture; Mega-communities don't work... Smaller communities are self sufficient, and nobody gets to be the "100 million dollar CEO" .... Everybody sweeps the floors in real communities...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by JRedBeard

Wow... First, I'm sorry about your bad luck... But I find it EXTREMELY ironic that the current state of our country, and the 'powers that be' have actually CREATED the perfect situation which enables the 'average' citizen to evolve into the survivalist.

Thanks for the thought, but actually, I just consider it life. I also think you are very correct in your assumption. People are going to have to adjust, and pretty darn soon. Hey, when I say food at even the salvage store is getting very expensive, I can't imagine how people who frown upon salvaging are going to make it, when their unemployment dries up. Personally, I don't even eat meat,[ I buy it for other people] have been a vegetarian for years, and I have researched what wild plants are edible in the area where I live, just in case I need to scour for food. My suggestion is that everyone should be doing the same.

I'm a survivalist... Spent the time, energy and money to be able to take care of myself, with the barest of essentials, as an animal in the wilderness... This I imagine should frighten or at least be looked down upon by "tptb"... But here they are, CREATING these individuals... It's priceless..

Yeah, just imagine, people not having to use cell phones, shop at the mall, and have to have the latest vehicle, etc....it is priceless. I guess some of us are not so dumbed down by advertising, the latest fashion, or the latest fad of any kind.

I'm glad you're starting to see your situation as an opportunity, because I believe it truly is, and that you're being groomed to become some of the few who will actually be prepared for the tribulations of the future...

Well, I hope so. And, I hope others will come up with creative ways to survive as well.

top topics

join