It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food safety bill defeated in House--Congress is actually a hero today!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The American citizenry, and particularly farmers, won a big battle today...as Congress acted in the best interest of the people! Wow, there's a shock for ya!

The House defeated a far-reaching food safety bill Wednesday after farm-state lawmakers complained it would be too invasive and others said it was pushed to the floor too quickly.

The legislation, which would require more government inspections and oversight of food manufacturers in the wake of a massive salmonella outbreak in peanuts, was considered under a suspension of House rules and needed a two-thirds vote for passage. The 280-150 vote was just a few shy of that threshold.

The bill would give the Food and Drug Administration new authority to order recalls and require the agency to develop a system for better tracing the source of foodborne illnesses. The government could impose new criminal and civil penalties on those who violate the law and food companies would be required to create detailed food safety plans.
www.breitbart.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
your excitement could be short lived as the article states another vote has been scheduled for thursday..and it most likely will pass given the wide support it received( it only fell a couple of votes short of a two thirds majority). Let's hope that saner minds prevail in the senate, but I aint holding my breath.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

Well, unfortunately, the victory will be short-lived. In the link, it states:

Democrats quickly scheduled another vote on the bill—under normal House rules, in which only a simple majority is needed—for Thursday.

and since:

The legislation, which would require more government inspections and oversight of food manufacturers in the wake of a massive salmonella outbreak in peanuts, was considered under a suspension of House rules and needed a two-thirds vote for passage. The 280-150 vote was just a few shy of that threshold.

Since the Thursday vote only needs a simple majority, they will have no problem passing it. There is no filibustering in the House. so, although there will be a debate, I don't thinkt the bill will change substantially.

I share your concern about the bill, but I'm afraid it's virtually a done deal.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
They will call votes again, even if they have been defeated- they will call votes again and again, like they are doing with the Lisbon Treaty, part 2.

The system is garbage.

The law allows them to appeal and appeal and appeal, and if that fails they will bring in the tanks.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
This is why I'm grateful to be from a poor country. Try as the government might to be Big Brotherly, it ain't able to afford it.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
i don't understand, do you mean they can vote on something again and again until they get it? who decides to vote again, how many, what happens?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Not like much of this will matter look up these fellows who are now working for the FDA to "improve" food safety:
Michael Taylor: www.fda.gov... obamboozled.blogspot.com...

David Campion Acheson: en.wikipedia.org... seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Wonderful that Dr. Acheson is a member of Skull and Bones and Mr. Taylor was once VP of Monsanto

the FDA has been infiltrated!

another article for you:
www.opednews.com...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
The congress critters that keep bringing up these laws that the people do not want but some big corporation is trying to get pushed through should be removed from office. Every time without exception if a bill is brought up again that has no initial backing from the people the rep that brings it up again should receive a very public trouncing.

new topics

top topics

join