It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Power Shifts in Plan for Capital Calamity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Power Shifts in Plan for Capital Calamity

www.nytimes.com

A shift in authority has given military officials at the White House a bigger operational role in creating a backup government if the nation’s capital were “decapitated” by a terrorist attack or other calamity, according to current and former officials involved in the decision.

The move, which was made in the closing weeks of the administration of President George W. Bush, came after months of heated internal debate about the balance of power and the role of the military in a time of crisis, participants said. Officials said the Obama administration had left the plan essentially inta
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit - Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 7/29/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Since learning that a US "shadow government" is not a conspiracy, and is in fact quite real, I often wondered who calls the shots before/after an emergency.

Is a shadow government truly designed to actually be running the government 24/7/365?

Now I have more of an answer...the military office of the White House controls the shadow government.

Not sure how much I like that idea.

Here are some other details from the NY Times article:

And the office, a 2,300-person outfit best known for flying Air Force One, has taken on added responsibilities as the lead agent in shepherding government leaders to a secure site at Mount Weather in rural Virginia, keeping classified lists of successors and maintaining computer systems, among other operational duties. Many of these types of tasks were previously handled by civilians at other agencies, led by the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
www.nytimes.com...

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit - Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 7/29/2009 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Nice find, certainly clarifies a lot of information that was unknown. I would however hate the thought of my nation being put into the hands of unelected leaders, particularly unelected leaders from the military.

( Wait a second, my nation has been put into the hands of an unelected leader
)

These people after all spend there life thinking over military related scenarios, how would they be expected to cope with the economy, manage the cities and much more IF the unknown powers would allow them to implement such governance. Even more concerning, how would many Generals respond should say China start provoking them... I doubt politically.

Freedom of speech would perhaps swiftly be made a thing of the past as well, it is after all simply not in 'the' training to listen to what the lower ranks have to say. BUT, considering this shadow government would only come into play during an obvious large scale conflict many of the above points I raise should not have enough time to impact the nation.

I can't quite put my finger on why, but I don't like the sound of having military ruling. But the one huge concern brought up in my mind, using Russian history as an example, how easy would it be for the politicians to regain power !?

I guess you can only hope the unspoken powers that'll be passed on in extreme circumstances aren't too many.

Edit: Typos.

[edit on 29/7/09 by Sed Non Credo]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
The article fails to mention that this is the culmination of groundwork and policies initially set forth by former president Reagan. George Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama are merely continuing this same legacy and shoring up the powers given to the Shadow Government in the United States.

There are some that believe that these policies began with Lyndon B. Johnson, or even earlier with Harry S. Truman, although the term itself wasn't coined until the Reagan Administration at the point where it was given legitimate public powers.

I hate to be the one to say it but Eisenhower told us this would happen!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

Will this shadow government abide by the constitution or simply follow it's own rules? You know, seeing as how it would be during a *ahem* crisis.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb

Will this shadow government abide by the constitution or simply follow it's own rules? You know, seeing as how it would be during a *ahem* crisis.

That's what I have never been able to find. Does the shadow government even "need" to follow the US Constitution, or because of the previous Executive Orders signed by President Bush that seems to give unprecedented powers to the Office of President, does the shadow goverment plan to just run wild?

Man, our shadow government would be like a bunch of Blackwater operatives.

Scary.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

it seems Jesse Ventura possibly met the secret government

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I see something else, if this nation's government fall many states will become Republics independent, after all that is the role of the state, to be able to survive independently to whatever power takes over Washington, this nation is too big for a "Shadow" government to have hold of every state in the nation.

I imagine that states like Texas, California, Alaska, Hawaii and many others that are far away from a central government location will go on their own for the best interest of their citizens.

new topics

top topics

join