It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird smelly fog

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I am not sure where to post this. I have mentioned in a reply before about this smelly fog that usually occurs with storms. Sometimes it occurs hours after or before a storm.
I have been doing research and even was told that this happens from time to time.
When I called the fire department they told me it was aphalt from the highway construction. The highway construction was 10 miles away!
I found out there was a plant supposedly 2 miles from me. I drove around and yet never found it. This fog is a real thin layer of grayish smoke; sometimes there is no visble fog. I even thought maybe it came from the lake but it actually comes from the opposite direction.
When I saw the fog before a thunderstorm the other day it glowed red. I looked up st elmos fire yet it does not fit.
This weird smelly fog has made me sick twice. I called up my local government to find out if there were any businesses that may omit any pollutants. That did not get me anywhere. I am extremely puzzled. There are no explosions or loud sounds and there have only been a few localized complaints. If someone is burming trash near me then that would be noticable since it is an apartment complex.
Any ideas on what this can be? When it first appears it knocks a person on their feet with dizzy spells, nasua and headaches. It is not chemtrails either becuase it is way too low to the ground. It seems to linger only 6 feet into the air and stays in a very small area. It clings to me as well so much I had to take a shower.
2 days a go it was 75 degrees to cool for any type of summer type fog but too warm for regular fog. The fog did not go to the valleys either it just sort of appeared in random areas.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by dreamseeker]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

What does it smell like?
How long has this been happening?

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by YarlanZey

It smells like an electrical fire, asphalt,oil and sulfur. It is a mix of different things. It is very over powering. It usually clears up in an hour or two. For that time I do not open windows or doors.
My neighbor has a dog and he was having trouble getting his dog to go outside. He is an elderly man so I helped him coax his dog outside to go to the restroom. He told me his dog is very calm and rarely barks. Yet this dog was terrrified.
This has been happening for a month on and off.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Sounds like a gas of some sort. Ever see "Killer Lakes" on Discovery? 1200 were killed (an entire village) when a lake "burped" a cloud of C02, which drifted down the valley into the village.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
You may just have a sewer gas issue in your area. I have gotten sick in a friends basement who had an unknown open sewer line under some carpet in his basement. He always thought the smell came from the old toilet and shower in the basement.

It can't be methane from an old landfill because it is odorless.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Unit541

Can that happen with man made lakes? The lake is man made and very small.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   

What is under the lake?? Do some more research in your area. Maybe someone cleaned up an old Superfund site on the cheap.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
maybe it is from acid rain

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Another thing that is weird is it comes from the opposite direction of the lake. I will do some more research on what the area used to be.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I suppose it's possible but not very likely from what I know. Unless of course, it was a very heavy gas. The lake I referred to was very deep, and the immense pressure was required to keep the gas dissolved at the bottom of the lake.

If it were a soda spring under a man made lake, it likely just fizz to the top, and be harmless.

I think that in order to learn where it's coming from, and why, what exactly it is must be determined.

Shoot, could be a dead raccoon under someone's deck, and you smell it when the breeze blows just right.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

We live in a valley and there are alot of older buildings with open fires. We often get a mist/fog/smoke that lingers through the valley, depending on the weather/wind direction. Do you have any old houses?

The glowing red might help identify the chemical content.

What industry do you have near you? Could it be farmers burning fields or something like that - not sure what time of year they do this.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I've smelt and seen that sort of thing here where I live a few times. Turns out a factory/plant nearby (4km or so) was releasing it in the early morning before sunrise so there was light patches of fog. Had that same smell you describe.
My guess is that some factory or plans is releasing it around the same time fog is normally created and then blown in your direction. The fog probably has nothing to do with the smell.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by QBSneak000]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

Maybe but I drove around and there are no factories within a 2 mile radius. It happens at about 9pm to 10 pm.
Another odd thing is I was trying to grill and using a butane lighter yet it would not light on firrst try. I went inside to make sure it was working and sure enough it came right on with little to no pressure.
I went back outside and it took me 3 times to get a very small flame.
I also thought maybe it could be people grilling yet when it happens it too late for that.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

What sort of factory was it?

I don't know if you heard about the incident at the at Buncefield depot , Hemel Hempstead where there was an explosion in 2005? Not only did we feel the blast, but the smoke plume was visble and we live about 20 miles away. The plume travelled as far as Europe and could be seen from space.

I know this is an extreme example, but the factory wouldn't need to be close by.

WiKi Link:
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 29-7-2009 by YarlanZey]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I am in a city the nearest farm would be a good 10 miles away. I think it is something very local because I know someone who lives 5 miles from me and has never smelled it. I have even gone outside my apartment complex and there is nothing like that. It is something within the apartment complex I am thinking.
I just find it very odd because it happens around the time of storms so the winds kick up and really pick up the fumes. I am sure it is not dangerous but it still makes me sick sometimes. Sometimes it does not effect me.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   

That is weird, was it windy outside when you were trying to light your lighter?

Makes me think that there wasnt enough oxygen in the air but to be that severe, you probably would have passed out very quickly. I have had training for combined spaces and rescue and there have been cases where people have succumbed to and have died due to the lack of oxygen or excess of C02 or other gasses in less than a minute.

Granted you were outdoors in an open area but for the assumption that the flame wouldn't work outside due to lack of oxygen or something like that doesn't seem probable.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

It was not windy at all. If it were a lack of oxygen I assume I would have passed out. Unforunately I may never find the answers I need. I am going to keep doing research but I am not sure what to look up. I am glad it happens at night because I am so sick of having to stay inside because of this. I moved by a lake so I could be outside more.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   

I have no idea, I think it had something to do with concrete maybe? it was about 20 years ago, so im also not sure what kind of legislation they had back then if any. Was it legal? I have no idea, all I know is that my friends and felt very Ill after it wafting over us (we were camping in the back 40 of my friends place. Not a lot of people lived around there back in the day.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I suggest you contact your local air quality/weather authority (Environment Canada where I am)and see if they will set up an air quality tester/sampler near your home. They should be able to tell you exactly what it is.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Good idea. I will do that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join