It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elderly should be low priority for antivirals, says scientist

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Mudman21

Your so entrusted leaders are the worse a-holes in the whole planet. I wouldn't trust them with a fly, much less with the lives of anyone.

People in power are the most worthless people in the whole world. They lie, cheat, and steal their whole life, and show nothing good for it. At least that's what they have been doing lately...

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
How the elderly are treated is a sure sign of the moral health of a nation.

If we decide that the elderly are not in need of medication, why draw the line there? If we are going to be utilitarians, let us do it properly. All those with mental illnesses, birth defects and a criminal history should be withheld of any sort of medication. What are they to us, right?

So let's say you have a child with down syndrome, or a mother that is getting into her seventies. Between giving her the medication, or let's say a young nuclear physicist, you will have to give it to the latter person, or else you are a hypocrite. Hey, here's an idea, how about we just let the free market decide who gets what? Not that we have had any semblance of a free market in nearly a century.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Viral]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I think what it comes down to is..circumstances. And to Aggie Man.. I don't know of any 70 yr old people would consider their life more important than a 5 yr. old child. The people I know young and older adults would gladly give up the serum for a child to be able to live his or her life. I'm not 70 yrs. old, but I know if it came up between me and my 5 yr. old grand daughter, I would definitely let her have it or any other 5 yr. old.
There are just too many variables in the human equation. Too many quirky models that would make for whoever gets the serum really heartbreaking.
I think if it ever came down to that situation, the young and the old would die, because..Circumstances would choose what people would be saved.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

What age classes are unproductive to society? The youth and the elderly. The youth have future potential to contribute, whereas the elderly, for all intents and purposes, have nothing tangible left to contribute. So, with that being said, they SHOULD be lowest priority.

Just my 2-cents

Yeah I agree with this one, if and that's a big if, if this flu is anything like what tptb are making it out to be we need to think very carefully about who gets the priority for treatments if they become limited.

But now lets look at it in another context.

"The youth have future potential to contribute, whereas the elderly, for all intents and purposes, have nothing tangible left to contribute."

That statement would fit in there just as well if we were talking about a drug that was designed to sterilize the population. I mean why wast it on the elderly if they cant have anymore kids anyway? Just something to think about...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join