It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traces of Aramaic on Shroud of Turin

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
News Article Here

A recent study by French scientist Thierry Castex has revealed that on the shroud are traces of words in Aramaic spelled with Hebrew letters. A Vatican researcher, Barbara Frale, told Vatican Radio on July 26 that her own studies suggest the letters on the shroud were written more than 1,800 years ago.

She said that in 1978 a Latin professor in Milan noticed Aramaic writing on the shroud and in 1989 scholars discovered Hebrew characters that probably were portions of the phrase "The king of the Jews."

Castex's recent discovery of the word "found" with another word next to it, which still has to be deciphered, "together may mean 'because found' or 'we found'," she said.

What is interesting, she said, is that it recalls a passage in the Gospel of St Luke, "We found this man misleading our people," which was what several Jewish leaders told Pontius Pilate when they asked him to condemn Jesus.

The fire that caused harm to the shroud also made it impossible to properly
carbon date the shroud. Considering the pollen, the flower impressions, and the coins imprints over the eyes ... considering the medical accuracy of the flowing blood of the wounds ... considering the blood type to be male and AB ... and now considering the Aramaic .... I'm still thinking this really is Jesus death shroud.

The reason the head appears smaller is that is was wrapped on top of the shroud, as scripture says there was a separate head wrap that was, upon when jesus rose, folded neatly aside.

more shroud evidence

There have been other 'shroud threads' here, I don't remember seeing anyone post about the Aramaic information so I figured I would.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

A quick look for the credentials of Thierry Castex returned nothing. I was curious because the Shroud is an artifact that is very protected. Scientific studies have usually required a long application process before being permitted. The story is all over the web in the past day but details are the same all over.

There's a reference to Aramaic writing being noticed in the 70s...I can't find any other source that supports the claim. The story has the hallmarks of a hoax...who knows?

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Star and a flag, FF...I'd like to know more about this development.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
The story has the hallmarks of a hoax...who knows?

It's being carried by conservative Catholic news outlets.
If it's a hoax, they are being caught up in it.
I'd think that they'd not be quick to jump on it without knowing the players.
(I could be wrong .. but that's what I think)

top topics

join