It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Claim New State of Matter Created

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Scientists Claim New State of Matter Created

news.yahoo.com

"Transparent aluminum is just the start," Wark said. "The physical properties of the matter we are creating are relevant to the conditions inside large planets, and we also hope that by studying it we can gain a greater understanding of what is going on during the creation of 'miniature stars' created by high-power laser implosions, which may one day allow the power of nuclear fusion to be harnessed here on Earth."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Puting aside the fact that there was nothing created, they actually just "discovered" a state of matter "no one has seen before", it is exciting news nontheless.

This state of matter was formed only for a very brief period, about 40 femtoseconds, but if it can be kept in a stable state it would not only mean transparent aluminim will be available, but we might find a new renewable source of power.

However, scientists are nowhere near to keeping this state of matter in a stable condition.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Where would this be located in the "states of matter" ladder?
So far. the order is as follows
BEC(Boes-Einstine Codensate)--> Solid--> Liquid--> Gas--> Plasma--> Beam--> Thought Wave or Dark Energy-->
Is this what your talking about? The states of matter?

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I already posted a thread on this a few days ago, just a heads up.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Transparent aluminum has been around for a while now.
It's in the windows of the space shuttle. and Krieger watch corporation made a wristwatch out of the stuff.

Nothing new folks.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 29-7-2009 by grey580]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
If you read the last sentence of the article it makes me think there is more here than meets the eye This sounds like its about Alchemy and the potential to transform any matter into a crystalline nature. It reminds me of all the talk of dna upgrades and ascension in 2012. Changing with LIGHT. wow.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Redacted for inaccuracy of post.

[edit on 7/29/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Yeah that's a compound mixed with other elements.

This new stuff is entirely new - and is a new state of matter that exists in core's of stars. Don't get mixed up just because the names are similar.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Is this what will lead to having use of cold fusion? This is pretty cool. May it even lead to more efficient long term shuttle missions? It could make us definately travel faster through space using nuclear fusion power. That would be awesome!

[edit on 29-7-2009 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Bose-Einstein Condensate is an state of matter. Basically it is a super solid.

It occurs at temperatures near absolute zero where atoms stop moving around and are physically packed together like marbles in a jar.

Look into it, it's quite interesting.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowLife
Where would this be located in the "states of matter" ladder?
So far. the order is as follows
BEC(Boes-Einstine Codensate)--> Solid--> Liquid--> Gas--> Plasma--> Beam--> Thought Wave or Dark Energy-->
Is this what your talking about? The states of matter?

I believe the order is...

Solid
Liquid
Gas
Plasma
BEC
Dark Matter
Dark Energy

At least that is my understanding.

There is a chart here near the bottom (scroll down to "Other Graphics"): www.frontsoft.com...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Solid
Liquid
Gas
Plasma
BEC
Dark Matter
Dark Energy

BEC comes before Solid.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Welfhard]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Welfhard

Solid
Liquid
Gas
Plasma
BEC
Dark Matter
Dark Energy

BEC comes before Solid.

Why?

I mean... It is in a higher energy state than solid/liquid/gas...

Please explain (rather than just stating...).

Thanks.

[edit on 7/29/2009 by Amaterasu]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Welfhard

Wow, actually I did not know that. Thanks for the heads up, lol I feel like an idiot now.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Bose-Einstein Condensate.

The clue is in the name - condensate. Firstly, it doesnot have a higher energy level than solid, it actually has next to no energy at all.

At temperatures near absolute 0, atmos slow to a crall (zero is when atomic activity ceases meaning that it can't get colder than abs. zero).

The condensate is when you take the atoms and push them together into a lump of non-moving atoms.

It's like bulls. When awake they spread out across the field and move about on their own accord. At night that condense into a tight group to sleep.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Didn't Scotty from Star Trek give the owner of a manufacturing plant the secrets to creating transparent aluminum in the movie with the whale? The transparent aluminum was to create an enclosure to support the water and whale on their ship.

You sure people are not confusing fiction with reality.

[edit on 7/29/2009 by WhatTheory]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Welfhard

Bose-Einstein Condensate.

The clue is in the name - condensate. Firstly, it doesnot have a higher energy level than solid, it actually has next to no energy at all.

At temperatures near absolute 0, atmos slow to a crall (zero is when atomic activity ceases meaning that it can't get colder than abs. zero).

The condensate is when you take the atoms and push them together into a lump of non-moving atoms.

It's like bulls. When awake they spread out across the field and move about on their own accord. At night that condense into a tight group to sleep.

I see your point. Thanks for your willingness to teach. [smile]

I will discuss this with the one who designed that chart.

new topics

top topics

join