It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Invisible Metal is REAL - A Stealthy UFO Skin?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Just came across this interesting article at the Physics Org site in which they describe a new TRANSPARENT ALUMINUM!

The authors, in describing the work of a team of Oxford scientists, refers to the new material as,

"Transparent aluminum previously only existed in science fiction, featuring in the movie Star Trek IV, but the real material is an exotic new state of matter with implications for planetary science and nuclear fusion."

Presumably, assuming of course that UFOs are terrestrial big&black projects and/or extraterrestrial advanced technology craft - utilizing this type of material in the skins of aircraft may at least hide/cloak/shield part of the airframe from view.

The corollary to this is that we may actually have a lot more things buzzing around the sky above us (or on the ground amongst us!) than we previously thought.

Intriguing possibilities abound in any case, eh? I can think of a few clever adaptations for a see-thru material like this myself - only one or two of which might be perceived as slightly nefarious... How about you?

Transparent Aluminum Article

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
That's not new. Better check your sources, OP.

Wonder Woman had an invisible JET, remember? Geez. Where do they FIND you guys?

Invisible stuff would be cool, but couldn't you see the people inside it? Oh, that wouldn't be odd at all..a lot of guys sitting down, flying around...nope, nothing to see here.

Seems to me like to 'create' the transparency, the material had to be under god-like pressures, or it would be a color than than 'none.' That made me really wonder about it's practicality. I guess when force fields get a little better it might come in handy.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I love how there is now picture of it......They write this nice article and leave us hanging...

Good read though and thanks for posting it.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Yeah, the biggest problem with invisible jets is the invisible doors to the invisible toilet. *smirk*

Seriously, though, this is an interesting tech. I read the article a while back and was reminded that certain gems such as rubys and sapphires are actually aluminum alloys. But this is not cloaking. A transparent skin means you can see inside the plane.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
so now i have to learn how to tig weld Invisible aluminum?

great

very interesting, to bad it will more then likely only be used on military applications do to cost.

i want an invisible car...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a flash of x-rays from the worlds most powerful laser focused on a spot 1/20th the width of a human hair turned aluminum transparent to extreme ultraviolet radiation for 40 femtoseconds.

i'm not holding my breath for an invisible plane but it is interesting, nice find OP.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

There probably ISN'T a picture of it -- that's why.

This transparent effect only lasted 40 quadrillionths of a second -- which is an extraordinarily brief period of time. I doubt they have a camera that could capture that picture.

On a lighter note, didn't Scotty already discuss this stuff in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home?:
Scotty Showing how to Make Transparent Aluminum

[edit on 7/29/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Transparent aluminum isn't anything new.

en.wikipedia.org...

It's acutally a ceramic. and they've been using it in the space shuttle windows for some time now.

there's even a wristwatch made out of it done by krieger watch.

cdi

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Outrageo

regarding invisible craft it seems a wise investment will be a paintball gun a few beers with the intention of creating some moving works of art!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Ummm...it's not invisible, according to the article in the OP:

In this week’s Nature Physics an international team, led by Oxford University scientists, report that a short pulse from the FLASH laser ‘knocked out’ a core electron from every aluminium atom in a sample without disrupting the metal’s crystalline structure. This turned the aluminium nearly invisible to extreme ultraviolet radiation. (emphasis mine)

That means it makes a lousy sunblock, not that it's invisible to the naked eye...unless you see in the UV band.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Braniac5]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
How did "transparent" become "makes things behind it invisible"? Plexiglass is also transparent. Are you claiming that if we just made ships out of plexiglass they would be invisible?

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Omniskeptic
How did "transparent" become "makes things behind it invisible"? Plexiglass is also transparent. Are you claiming that if we just made ships out of plexiglass they would be invisible?

DON'T ANYBODY TRY THIS!! Plexiglass does not make good airplanes!

Just trust me on this one.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Explain to me exactly how you take a picture of an invisible object?

It could be on the link w/ the article but you'll never know will you

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580
Transparent aluminum isn't anything new.

en.wikipedia.org...

It's acutally a ceramic. and they've been using it in the space shuttle windows for some time now.

there's even a wristwatch made out of it done by krieger watch.

um.. yea. its new. and no, it isnt ceramic.. ITS ALUMINUM! read the article. I love how these know it all's just judge and pass on as if they have any clue as to what the subject matter really is. Grant it! These are just the beginning times! Wow, why is it whenever a new technology comes out.. everyone is always so... been-there-done-that-esque about it? They act like its some passe, has been thing and it is brand new to the globe, to the human race! Graphene.. "oh yea... not holding my breath on faster computers, blah blah blah!"
Now transparent aluminum. Yes.. there is a pic of the material. Yes it even shows your pretty little laser beam, Yes, it is really Aluminum, shock changed into an EXOTIC AND NEW material for a short time. And yes, yes, yes! There are IN FACT scientists also working on this so called "beaming" technology. Not sending beams of light to another spot, but like "Beam me up scotty". Yes... but here we go.. "Oh. these scientists have only gotten this far with it?" Its science people.. it takes time to achieve these things when you create them by accident, and really have nothing to go on.. We will not see these in our life times but FU**ing hell! WE as a spieceis are taking MAJOUR steps.. give some bloody patience

[edit on 29-7-2009 by stanlee]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by stanlee, NewS, etc...

The point is that even if for us mere, struggling, inferior humans are just now 'discovering' that technology and methodology can POSSIBLY be applied to make this work, then it is safe to assume that an advanced civilization would have "advanced" the technique for doing so.

Also, keep in mind that such metallurgical manipulations can be combined with OTHER technologies, such as cloaking optics and perhaps others we haven't even thought to practically apply yet in tandem with these (e.g. resonance, exotic materials, wave generation, etc.).

Not saying this is the case with UFO's, I'm merely suggesting that it is one possible explanation in response to those naysayers that claim that UFOs are not real and don't exist "because we don't "see" them (or at least most of us don't!)

note: The video in the link of this post about half-way down shows some of the optic processes in action. Just imagine for a moment using transparent or near-transparent materials along with these techniques - a bona-fide "cloaked" craft does not seem all that far-fetched...

Who knows, our beloved skunk-work/phantom-work boys may ALREADY be utilizing this up in Utah, Area51, or...? How could we know?

[edit-fix link]

[edit on 7/30/2009 by Outrageo]

new topics

top topics

join