It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pharma funding for medical classes draws scrutiny

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Pharma funding for medical classes draws scrutiny

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – A government watchdog will tell Congress Wednesday that the pharmaceutical and medical device industries' billion-dollar spending spree for medical education is threatening the judgment of physicians across the country.

Over the past 10 years, drug and device companies have increased their funding for such meetings by over 300 percent, according to industry figures. Companies now provide more than half of the $2.5 billion spent annually on medical education.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Um, WOW and Duh!
I am sure Big Pharma just classifies this as "advertisement" for the accountants.
I am glad someone is paying attention but I still feel it is not enough, our advocates need to come down hard on Big Pharma and hopefully this will lead to more "scrutiny" of some of their other practices.
Any Drs office I have ever been to prescribes what leaflets are in the waiting room which is usually which ever rep came in with the best gratis in hand...oops I mean marketing strategy...oops I mean product, yeah product.
There are so many natural "backyard" remedies to whatever ails us not to mention good nutrition, exercise and moderation. That is what our Drs should prescribe but those have no return business.
Big Pharma needs to be investigated and audited, they are killing us one Dr. at a time.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Is all about profits, my friend, even when I agree that we should have a health care reform in this nation to stop this type of practices, we all know that right now the health care reform we have is not going to include how big pharma does business.

The health care reform of Obama is just another way to dip into tax payer wallets.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

The Senate Aging Committee will hear from a half-dozen other witnesses Wednesday, most of whom oppose industry funding for medical education. Committee Chairman Herb Kohl, D-Wis., is pushing a bill that would require companies to disclose all payments to physicians over $100. Kohl and co-sponsor Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, hope to include their Physician Payment Sunshine Act in the health care bill taking shape in the Senate, which has been slowed by cost concerns.

Blah,Blah, Blah Nothings gonna change cuz Big Pharma is lining the pockets of every committee, sub committee, down to the last peon out there.

Corporate Lobbying Funds:
These are the amounts spent by the corporations listed. However, many (if not most) of these corporations ALSO contract out to private lobbying firms, so the amounts you see here MIGHT not be the total amount they spent on lobbying in Q109.
All of these companies fall within the top 20 biggest corporate lobbyists
Health Care, Health Insurance, & Pharma
3. Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America: $6,910,000
6. Pfizer, Inc: $6,140,000
12. American Medical Association: $4,240,000
18. American Hospital Association: $3,580,000
19. Eli Lilly and Company: $3,440,000

Want some more...
37. America's Health Insurance Plans, Inc: $2,030,000
39. CVS Caremark Inc: $2,005,000
47. Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association: $1,800,000
49. GlaxoSmithKline: $1,780,000
63. Merck & Co: $1,500,000
65. United Health Group, Inc: $1,500,000
69. Sanofi-Aventis U.S. Inc: $1,460,000
76. Novartis: $1,347,134
87. Abbott Laboratories: $1,260,000
89. Astrazeneca Pharmaceuticals, LP: $1,250,000
92. Medtronic, Inc: $1,238,000

www.organicconsumers.org...
news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 29-7-2009 by SEEWHATUDO]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Star, and flag for a good topic people like to NOT look at. I have long had problems with the medical profession. I hate walking into a doctor's office, and having brand X drug company crap everywhere. Later when your done with the doctor you've got a nice prescription for brand X drugs.

Just leaves me

top topics

join