It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet 2

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Internet 2

mail.internet2.edu..." target="_blank" class="postlink">https:

"Randy Frank joins with a very strong understanding of the research and education mission of Internet2's academic members. This background -- along with his excellent corporate IT experience -- position him well to help lead the Internet2 community....

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Ive been wondering if and when there would be a change if any....Ive had trouble with my internet for a few weeks and when I call they say no outages in the area, and so on, and then everything will be fine for a few more days....Im a night owl, and have noticed twice the net goes down on me at about 4 am...now i log in to my provider and see the "WW2" on the browser bar....(ww2.cox.com...) i guess they were making the changes in the wee hours of the morning and decided not to tell me...anyone else know about this? or am i behind the times here?
I wonder how this will effect the web now? And us using it? I didnt think it would be so soon.......

mail.internet2.edu..." target="_blank" class="postlink">https:
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I don't think Internet 2 will ever be used by the normal public In fact I hope it isn't don't get me wrong I'm all for speed increases but I think it would be a lot more controlled.

I think it's likely every site on it would have to be licensed and meet government approval the interaction as on forums like this would be a thing of the past. I picture it as all big media news outlets and websites selling their product and probably even commercials instead of ad banners.

I don't think we need to worry though ISP's are to to greedy to improve infrastructure now for the normal Internet and constantly sell bandwidth they don't have they will never rebuild everything from scratch and I can't see the Governments paying out for it either.

Maybe I'm over thinking it and it could be like this one only faster but I don't think we will find out any time soon anyway.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The www in the url is the name of the server you are accessing. If they were working on the www server you may have been directed to it's backup, ww2. ww2 has been in use a long long time and has nothing to do with internet2. You can name your server anything so if it.s name was img and you were on the 4chan domain it would be img.4chan.org. If it was named www it would be www.4chan.org. It's just a name.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by damwel

Thank you thank you!
I feel so much better now......

top topics

join