It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic has no health benefits

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
This goes directly into the Top 100 stupidest studies of all time...

Duhr

Of course two Bananas grown in the same soil have the exact same nutrients...

Except One is sprayed with a Poison LOL the other isn't

This is seriously incredibly retarded

Even reading this kind of research lowers your IQ, this is worse than the scientist who shot the Elephant with 10,000 x then normal dose of '___' to see "what happened" (Elephant freaked out and died)

Who pays these people?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I'm wondering if anyone on ATS actually reads other people's posts. For the millionth time and still ignored.. Organic food is saturated in highly toxic poisons names copper sulphate and pyrethrum. The damaging effects of copper sulphate is staggering, but if you want to eat that go right ahead and continue to live in your fantasy world. Enjoy your liver failure.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

Say it a Billion times you'd still be almost entirely wrong.

#1 Copper Sulfate is in the process of being banned in the EU and is only used right now in about 1/3 of Organic produce and less than that in the USA

#2 That's 1/3 as opposed to 100% of non organic produce using chemical pesticides

#3 Copper Sulfate is water soluble and washing your fruit works, unlike chemicals most of which permeate the skin into your produce where washing is useless

#4 Uptake is very limited with Copper Sulfate. in some plants like corn the uptake is exclusive to the Root so you get NONE in your food from the soil... in other words a corn crop for example being shielded on the outside and given Root uptake will remain 100% free of copper sulfate where chemical pesticides permeate both through the skin leaf and root system

Doesn't even being to compare to the completely UNKNOWN effects like what happened with DDT

and

it wont even be in use soon

and

You can check the source of the produce and ASK and not by that brand fairly easily and get... genuinely organic produce.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by redoubt

The reason organic is more expensive is because: since you don't use chemicals, you don't have nearly the yield or success of chemcial farming. If you have never eaten "organic" then you don't know that there is a profound difference. I have people come to my house to eat and have remarked on how good something is, w/o knowing it is organic. There is a HUGE difference.

I get milk delivered right from a dairy, in glass bottles. Homoginized, but hormone free. Huge diffference there too. We can't even drink commercial milk anymore. Tastes like a penny with water poured on it compared to the real stuff.

Id also point out that the inorganic food is cheaper to produce in the long run with as you say greater yields, if you can produce more for less you can sell it at lower prices, the result is everyone uses the cheapest produce regardless and the only way the organic farmers can compete is to increase their prices to off set the lower number of sales. Its identical to that whole Tesco chicken thing the little river cottage did, how does organic chicken farming compete to industrial when the industrial can sell you 2 frankien chickens for half the price of an organic... sure the organic tastes superbly better, but in the end people look at price irrespective to anything else.. even our health these days is tied to the dollar

As to the milk discussion threaded through this thread do what i do... dont drink milk.

Humans beyond a certain age require no milk, and if your gonna drink milk at least make it human... but no ones gonna attempt that
. No animal drinks milk naturally outside of their infant years... but for some reason humans think its something you have to do, and from another species to boot. You dont need to drink milk to be healthy... period (as long as your eating healthy to begin with that is).

I havent drunk milk in over 18 years, and I very rarely drink soy milk these days, occasionally in some rolled oats for breakfast if i dont cook em (i prefer my rolled oates chunky and dry
) and im fine health wise, sure i dont have much fat on me but ive always been a thin guy naturally.

This whole research was bunk, as others have stated its not the health benefits of the food thats the issue its everything else, environmental impact of growing, pesticides, taste. Oh and to the guy that was talking about problems with using things like manure... you do realize that soil is for the most part dead bodies, rotting plant matter, worm crap, animal (including human) waste and ground up rock and mineral... and your worried about cow poop?

The worlds gone to hell in a hand basket if people now fear things the 'natural way' ... eat less, eat better, cut out the processed crap and preferably meat and dairy also. Thats all there is to it... and if everyone grew their own and passed on what they didnt need, there would be no world hunger problem.

Oh and fat and sugar are fine its NOT fine if your a retard with no self control and eat to much of it or if you eat the un-natural highly refined rubbish the average consumer guzzles every day. Ive eaten sugar straight from the cane, in a cane field before its nothing like the whtie death you get in stores. I also prefer to use brown sugar or malasis(sp?) for a sweetener... after all its the stuff they deem crud once theyve removed the super processed white sugar from it. Its the actual good stuff, the white sugars the stuff they should be throwing away.

Meh ive gone into rant mode... but this sort of thing irks me seriously.
The only true thing you have complete control of in the world is your own personnel health... why screw it up, you dont get a second chance.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
THE REPORT has nothing to do with how good the food tastes or whether or not you are getting poisons into your system. The report was based on a myth that organically grown food give better nutritional benefits. This report says it dosent. THERE IS NO BIG CONSPIRACY HERE. just some people who wanted to know whether or not mass produced foods have less nutritional content that organically grown food...

Wish people read the entire report b4 posting......

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
One of the requisites for a food to be considered organic is not weeding the garden. So okay, maybe there's no difference between a non-weeded and a weeded garden? Do you see the manipulation at work here? So, because there's no difference due to weeding suddenly Monsanto's genetic sorceries are safe? I don't f-ing think so.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Evil Tomatoes
The Nightshades

A number of nightshade species have been used medicinally for thousands of years, and some species have narcotic and poisonous characteristics. Tobacco is a nightshade that has had a tremendous economic impact and has been a source of controversy since the A partially cut field of tobacco in southern Wisconsin. JLM Visuals. Reproduced by permission. early 1960s because of the link between smoking tobacco and several deadly diseases.

Some species of nightshades are important sources of food, such as tomatoes, chili and bell peppers, potatoes, and eggplant.

science.jrank.org...

You know that lovely Almond flavor? Its the taste of Cyanide...

Can the cyanide in Almonds give you a stomach ache?

Bitter almonds and moldy sweet almonds

Only the bitter variety, called flowering almond and planted decorative purposes, has sufficent cyanide to harm you. The bitter almond has a pink flower. The sweet almond tree has white blooms and the fruit contains no cyanide. The nut has a strong bitter taste and it is dificult to ingest more than a single one. Even that could give you a mild stomach ache. Both varieties contain a chemical pre-curser to cyanide which can become poisonous under damp conditions.

wiki.answers.com...

So keep your almonds dry

Now... can anyone tell me just exactly WHAT is a "non-organic" food? :puz"

Also here is a list of chemicals. Would you eat food that contained these?

Di-hydrogen Oxide, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Fructose, Sucrose, Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver.

Its really quite Delicious

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by alien
Well...like others I also find theres a definite difference in tastes/flavours of the vegetables and fruits I grow myself than those I may purchase from the store.

So too the seafood I collect, fish I catch, and meat I hunt.

Is it better for me though? Hmmm. I personally think it is:
- I notice the colouring of my eyes is better when eating predominately naturally grown or hunted/collected foods
- I notice I have more energy, can exercise for longer and generally feel *happier and calmer*
- I notice my outputs at work increase - my ability to process data, make decisions, complete tasks etc all improve...I summise thats perhaps due to a possible increase in cognitive functioning
- I also notice that I actually excrete less body odour via perspiration - okay, my wife more notices that - when I'm consuming less of the 'store bought' foodstuffs
- Those, err, 'calls of nature' are far more regular and less prone to anything like constipation etc

...and one other thing, which is probably even a little too wishy-washy but I believe it:
I personally find on some, dear I say *spiritual* level, I am more *balanced* when eating predominately naturally grown/hunting/collected foods.
Perhaps - particularily with meat - there is something to some theories about the trauma of the animal, the negative context they are farmed in and slaughter in that in some way *imprints* into the flesh of it which is then consumed.

Either way - for me at least - I do believe there are health gains. Be it physical, mental, emotional, spiritual. Even if its just from the whole 'feel good' factor of gardening and sitting down to a meal you know YOU grew, YOU gathered, YOU caught/hunted...a sense of pride if you will...

Peace.

You know what... want to see a difference? Go to whole foods and eat at their buffet and then tell me how regular you are that day. It will CLEAN YOU OUT!

Same food I get from the Publix food buffet... but different effect... I wonder why that is?....

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtplacebo
One of the requisites for a food to be considered organic is not weeding the garden. So okay, maybe there's no difference between a non-weeded and a weeded garden? Do you see the manipulation at work here? So, because there's no difference due to weeding suddenly Monsanto's genetic sorceries are safe? I don't f-ing think so.

That's not true at all...

You can weed an organic garden.. you just can't use herbicide as a means of doing it. You are more than welcome to use a hoe.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Breaking News: Sunglasses do not prevent skin cancer!

Independent studies show that if two people are placed in direct sunlight for ten straight hours, the one who wore sunglasses was just as sunburnt as the other. Scientists suggest that sunglasses may be a waste of money.

"My advice," says Dr Bill McPaidfor, "is to stop wearing sunglasses altogether. I stare directly into the sun everyday, and I tell my children to do the same."

Of course two plants grown in the same dirt have the same nutrition. They didn't test for the effects of the toxins in the plants. How stupid do they think we are? They must be counting on people either only reading headlines and not content, or they must think people will just accept what they say without thinking about it at all. FISHY!

Think about it, this article is totally pointless. Who ever thought there was more nutrition without pesticides? I've never heard anyone ever suggest that at all. The only point of the article was to publish the misleading headline. BBC must be bought and paid for. It's the only explanation.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by AmethystSD

Actually many farms which which replenish their soil with nutrient rich humus will say they have more nutrients in vegetables they grow vs "hot house" varieties.

I was at a place one time which stated to us and the kids (cub scouts) that with these types of vegetables you don't need to eat as many to get the nutrients you need.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I'm not saying that fruits or vegetables grown under different conditions couldn't vary in nutrition. Of course the soil makes a difference. I'm not sure that you understood what I was saying.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienesque

so..first we are told that mercury is good for us by the american food people..now the british food agency are saying that food which has been sprayed with chemicals is just as good for us as food which hasnt.

do these people really think an informed person would believe this?

has this also anything to do with codex?

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
Either you didnt read it, or you dont understand it. They are saying nutritionally there is no difference. If you are not smart enough to wash off your produce before consumption I dont know what to say. If washing food before ingestion is not good enough I suggest you stop putting chemicals on your body daily like deodorant, shampoo, lotion, clothes with dyes.. etc.

Originally posted by mopusvindictus

Duhr

Even reading this kind of research lowers your IQ, this is worse than the scientist who shot the Elephant with 10,000 x then normal dose of '___' to see "what happened" (Elephant freaked out and died)

Who pays these people?

Yea but people are stupid enough to pay extra when all they need to do is wash it and it is identical. So you need studies like this to tell people how stupid they are, apparently.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by shug7272]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Duhr

Speaking of stupid...

How many people do you know that eat banana peels?

[edit on 31-7-2009 by zorgon]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Monsanto Tomato

Bet its still tastes good

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by alienesque

Yeah! organic food has no health benefits, Vitamin & herbal supplements are useless, but pop a pill, because pharmaceutical drugs are good for you.
Same old bull####.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienesque

Organic has no health benefits

news.bbc.co.uk

Organic food is no healthier than ordinary food, a large independent review has concluded.
There is little difference in nutritional value and no evidence of any extra health benefits from eating organic produce, UK researchers found.
(visit the link for the full news article)

I love this. Organic food is no more healthy than NORMAL food.

Let's think about this. Organic is without additives. Without chemicals. Yet GMO's and the such are now considered the NORMAL food source?

Yikes.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Monsanto Tomato

Bet its still tastes good

Probably not... Nothing tastes better than home grown tomatoes...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

lol

Bananas a bad example being one of the safer fruits from skin exposure but none the less many modern chemical based pesticides can permeate the skin of even a banana.

More important than that, is the rate of decay of the pesticide, handling on the surface of the fruit, entrance into the water table and uptake into the fruit via the soil.

The three most common pesticides in use in the USA can remain in the water table for months sometimes years, in some cases Decades, when they break down, they break down into chemicals as much as 100x more lethal to living organisms including mammals and have an extremely high capacity for passing through the root system directly into the fruit or vegetable your eating, and do not break down in water so cooking doesn't help.

i.e if they spray your banana with Malithion, Chlorpyrifos or Diazinon or any organophosphates your going to get it in your body via your hands holding the Banana it won't degrade by the time it hits the supermarket

But far worse

when they watered the bananas the stuff got into the soil and unlike Organic pest control methods... like Copper sulfate which Can not uptake into the plant beyond the root system for most produce or Pyrethrum which degrades in sunlight and breaks down into harmless organic compounds... with pesticides your definitively digesting the pesticides...

Which have been linked to permanent changes in the body, in other words you don't heal from the damage they cause and the mechanism by which they operate.... Ever

So is the thick skinned Banana safe from chemical pesticides in use?

Not a bit.

Not to mention again that those same organophosphates which break down into far deadlier chemicals will remain in your local water table for years and decades to come... but I feel the need to mention it again.

A body burden study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found n TCPy—a metabolite specific to chlorpyrifos—in the urine of 91% of people tested.[15] An independent analysis of the CDC data claims that Dow has contributed 80% of the chlorpyrifos body burden of people living in the US.[16] A 2008 study found dramatic drops in the urinary levels of chlorpyrifos metabolites when children switched from conventional to organic diets.

Seriously sorry if the Banana comment thew you but I got my A in Organic Chemistry, I actually know what the heck i'm talking about, don't much appreciate the "stupid" reference in my direction particularly from a guy that understands so much about the subject he thinks the skin on his Banana is protecting him from Diazinon

[edit on 31-7-2009 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   

More important than that, is the rate of decay of the pesticide, handling on the surface of the fruit, entrance into the water table and uptake into the fruit via the soil.

I agree... pesticides are bad news... and eventually the bugs will build immunity so they will be useless anyway..

However threads like this show how little people really know...inorganic foods? Really
I know what is meant, but anyone not knowing would be confused as heck

But tell me out of the miilions that eat foods from the grocery store, how many have died of the 'poisons' in the food?

How many deaths from 'genetically engineered' seeds?

More likely you will find death and illness related to over eating, not eating a balance of food so you get what you need etc. Your body can eliminate most toxins IF your eating the right quantities

Vitamin C is a great toxin flusher.. they use it to bring down Heroin addicts

Now I asked people earlier would you eat something that contained these chemicals...

No one answered

Di-hydrogen Oxide, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Fructose, Sucrose, Alpha-Linolenic-Acid, Asparagine, D-Categin, Isoqurctrin, Hyperoside, Ferulic-Acid, Farnesene, Neoxathin, Phosphatidyl-Choline, Reynoutrin, Sinapic-Acid, Caffeic-Acid, Chlorogenic-Acid, P-Hydroxy-Benzoic-Acid, P-Coumaric-Acid, Avicularin, Lutein, Quercitin, Rutin, Ursolic-Acid, Protocatechuic-Acid, and Silver.

How about you? Care to take a stab at it? Which of those are good for you and which are poison

The three most common pesticides in use in the USA can remain in the water table for months sometimes years, in some cases Decades, when they break down, they break down into chemicals as much as 100x more lethal to living organisms including mammals and have an extremely high capacity for passing through the root system directly into the fruit or vegetable your eating, and do not break down in water so cooking doesn't help.

Fine so how many has that killed so far? Any statistics? What about all the car exhaust fumes and oil products leaching into the soil? Ever see the grime from roads near farms on plants? Need solvent to get that off.

Point is toxins are all around us and yet on average mankind is living longer and better

Tell me 'organic' vitamin C from Acerola cherries is it better than 100% pure C6H8O6?

i.e if they spray your banana with Malithion, Chlorpyrifos or Diazinon or any organophosphates your going to get it in your body via your hands holding the Banana it won't degrade by the time it hits the supermarket

But far worse

when they watered the bananas the stuff got into the soil and unlike Organic pest control methods... like Copper sulfate which Can not uptake into the plant beyond the root system for most produce or Pyrethrum which degrades in sunlight and breaks down into harmless organic compounds... with pesticides your definitively digesting the pesticides...

Which have been linked to permanent changes in the body, in other words you don't heal from the damage they cause and the mechanism by which they operate.... Ever

So is the thick skinned Banana safe from chemical pesticides in use?

Not a bit.

Not to mention again that those same organophosphates which break down into far deadlier chemicals will remain in your local water table for years and decades to come... but I feel the need to mention it again.

A body burden study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found n TCPy—a metabolite specific to chlorpyrifos—in the urine of 91% of people tested.[15] An independent analysis of the CDC data claims that Dow has contributed 80% of the chlorpyrifos body burden of people living in the US.[16] A 2008 study found dramatic drops in the urinary levels of chlorpyrifos metabolites when children switched from conventional to organic diets.

Seriously sorry if the Banana comment thew you but I got my A in Organic Chemistry, I actually know what the heck i'm talking about, don't much appreciate the "stupid" reference in my direction particularly from a guy that understands so much about the subject he thinks the skin on his Banana is protecting him from Diazinon

[edit on 31-7-2009 by mopusvindictus]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join