It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic has no health benefits

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
This jsut in!
Meat is also very good for you!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienesque

Organic has no health benefits

news.bbc.co.uk

Organic food is no healthier than ordinary food, a large independent review has concluded.
There is little difference in nutritional value and no evidence of any extra health benefits from eating organic produce, UK researchers found.
(visit the link for the full news article)

The independent research is flawed. Organic food does not have the toxins and Monsanto Bio-Engineered crap in our food supply. Frankly, organics taste better and your body will process them better.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Let's all agree. If you want to eat organic, just eat organic. If you don't, then don't.

But, I just did research and wrote a 28 page paper for my college technical writing class on Glyphosate, particularly from Roundup and its surfactant.

It's one of the most used pesticides in world, mainly in agricultures. The problem is that this pesticide (and many others) can be uptake and accumulate within the plants and fruits for a long time.

Inhaling, ingesting, or touching these pesticides is very bad. If not the active ingredients in the pesticides, then the surfactants (an "inactive" ingredient) found in all pesticide formula. It's bad because its more toxic than the active ingredient in the pesticide, and create a deadly synergistic effect when mixed.

Note (in terms of pesticides) -
1) active ingredient: primary ingredient intended to kill pests (aka. weeds)
2) inactive (other) ingredients: ingredients that aid the active ingredients in it's task. For example, surfactant lowers the surface water tension of the plant and allows the active ingredients to pass through the protective membrane of the plant or weed cell wall.

Glyphosate is so bad, there's currently a supreme court case or hearing going on in Argentina to ban it from being used.

And the most shocking thing, Glyphosate isn't even the worse pesticide used. There are far toxic pesticides being sprayed on food, near residential areas or bodies of water.

Here's some published scientific journals done on Glyphosate, Roundup, and polyoxyethyleneamine (surfactant).
1) Research done in 2005: www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov...

2) Research done in 2009: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me, the only organic food I eat are fruits, vegetables, and sometime meat. Organic meat is expensive, but man try grass-fed beef over corn-fed beef, it just taste so much better.

That isn't to say I'm a food nazi, I eat what I am served, but when I'm buy and cook my own food, it's organic fruits/veggies for me.

P.S. If you want a pesticide alternative. Use lemon juice alone (or mixed with salt, mustard powder, and oil). That's my formula.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by skyblueff0]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Oh, of course organic is no better than vegatables sprayed with crap. Just like filtering your water of chlorine doesn't help either.

Geeze, who do you think sponsored this study?

I'm not saying everything labeled "organic" is absolutely organic. Labels can be misleading.

But, I would say the folks here who grow their own natural foods in rich soil, can tell you, there is a difference in the fruit. Most obviously the taste. Honestly, how are you going to get really nutritious foods from depleted, chemical ridden soil?

I mean if you saw me put pesticide directly in your cool-aide, would you be willing to drink it? This is kind of what happens to our food supply.

But, no question, true organic, is the best choice. For one thing it helps support the natural ecosystem that is already set up for us. Composting helps put good use to our scraps and waste, that otherwise gets thrown into a plastic bag and dumped into a landfill where it decomposes into a wasteland of various chemicals. Our soil could really use this waste that we carelessly throw in the dump.

This is a world where people in authority are allowed to tell us "up is down," and "down is up." Things that shouldn't be normal are labeled "normal." "It's ok, it's normal to bleed from the rectum when you take this drug. Don't worry, it's an 'approved' drug."

Troy

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   
All I can do is echo others here ... this is blatant propaganda and is not only ridiculing our intelligence, but its also a very dangerous article for the sheeple who will take this as gospel. Independent study indeed!!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
The BIG Lie is that people think organic is free of pesticides. NOT TRUE, they use "natural" pesticides. Your lovely organic food is soaked in copper (causes alzheimers) and also drenched in pyrethrum (no wonder so many 'organic' women are sterile). When my grandmother of 92yrs has the mental and physical ability of a 60yr old. She eats healthy and looks after herself She has NEVER eaten "organic", The organic industry is like any other multi-billion dollar and the organics are suckers.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
With the years and years of posts from members here detailing individual cases and research into the effects of genetically modified foods, the cross pollination and self-terminating technology from Monsanto, and the incredibly long post about codex alimentarius there is still a ridiculous amount of people who refuse to open their eyes to the blatant truth.

Organic food is NOT just about pesticides. Organic food is about eating food that is not genetically modified or altered in anyway that has the potential for seriously harming the body. The same GM foods that are so genetically unstable that credible scientists are calling it a genetic time bomb capable of mutations at an alarming rate.

I buy organic because I want to get as far away as I can from GM foods. They are nutritionless, taste like crap and can seriously ruin your body.

Anyone who agrees with GM crops is a severely misinformed cretin or one of the hundreds of disinfo agents that troll this site!

[edit on 30-7-2009 by metro]

[edit on 30-7-2009 by metro]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
This study was mentioned on our MSM news here in NZ. Thankfully, a little common sense prevailed and it was mentioned that the study came to it's conclusion based purely on nutritional content of the fruit. Which means it does not take into account the effects of the various chemicals and additives, along with the 'nutritional content'.

But organic food isn't about breeding super food with extra nutritional content. It's about what's NOT in it. I'd take locally grown organic fruit/vege/meat any day over intensively fertilised/pesticide food, even if it's a little more expensive.

I think it's really disturbing the way Monsanto is trying to monopolise the food industry, and being the sole provider of (non)nutrition to the world. I think the more small, localised, food providers the better.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   

It's about what's NOT in it.

Yeah I'm with you, except I avoid organic because I do not want alzheimers or cancer from all the crap they soak the organics in. To each their own. I watched an organic farmer once pull barrels of copper and pyrethrum (both with skull & bones on them) along his field soaking the veges to the extreme. I'll take a mist of roundup which biodegrades in the sun over buckets of "natural" poison any day. Funny thing is in 20yrs you won't even remember why you started eating organic in the first place.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by alienesque

First of - Organic is just as it should be - natural - without chemicals. GM and conventional food is un-natrual - sprayed with rubbish, poisons and added genes.

They are saying truth about not being healthy - that is right - it is just normal food.

I am eating normal food (organic) - not industrial poisons - just like Prince Charles and Obama family does - grows organically.

Propaganda machine is enormous - it is just sickening to see insanity of economic interests being put above sanity.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by FIFIGI

First of - Organic is just as it should be - natural - without chemicals. GM and conventional food is un-natrual - sprayed with rubbish, poisons and added genes.

They are saying truth about not being healthy - that is right - it is just normal food.

I am eating normal food (organic) - not industrial poisons - just like Prince Charles and Obama family does - grows organically.

Propaganda machine is enormous - it is just sickening to see insanity of economic interests being put above sanity.

Without chemicals? Read it and weep:

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Of course our bodies respond positively to correct nutrition - there's a reason Earth's called Mother Nature. Her unadulterated food gifts are precisely what our physical selves were designed to consume - as mother's milk is to babies.

Nature's food must grow in Nature's soil to impart the proper nutrients. The commercial crap Big Ag grows is not only tasteless, but devoid of any vitamins and minerals vital to health. What was once rich, fertile soil is now a thin layer of dirt barely able to support any life. What appears as food has been artificially induced to grow by chemicals made by companies who don't give a rat's a** about our health. Artificial tastes and colors make us think we're eating what we're supposed to, but all it is is a bunch of empty calories made of sugar, salt, fat, and God-knows-what else. It's made us sick, fat, stupid and lazy - just what they wanted. Healthy people will have clearer minds and clearer minds think.

redoubt, you can't afford to not eat to stay healthy. You're on the right track, but get rid of the 'Oh, well' attitude.

DohBama, you're just plain wrong.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I was quite surprised by the amount of coverage this got - front page of the Times this morning. I'm guessing a lot of money has gone into publicizing this research, so one has to wonder where the funding's come from.

No-one ever suggested organic food is better for you, the whole point is that it's better for the planet. I'll carry on eating it thanks

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:35 AM
link   
seriously????????

what a load of BS!

Well . . . at least it's only the stupid people that will listen to it.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

That is so cool you can be so self reliant. I wish it were that simple,. however in this part of the world(meaning my house)unless we quite our jobs and figure how to not pay a mortgage,... we're kinda stuck in this cycle for a while.

Understand what you mean..... we all have priorities that sometimes aren't what we'd like to be doing. Gardening is a lot of work, to be sure.

We both work as well. The thing is, we started small, with just one container, kept refining systems, adding stuff over the years; grew herbs inside at first. Last year when Hurricane Paloma smacked us, it wiped out everything, except four long containers that I'd put wheels on. We pretty much had to start over after that. I'm currently trying to keep datura coffee plants alive.

Toward the OP, aside from absorbed poisons, one of the bad things about conventional pesticides is that they often kill the pollinators as well as the target insects. There are quite a few nontoxic methods of targeting the specific critter. Example: whiteflies often go after yellow-flowering crops and suck out the plant's juices, sometimes even damaging the stigma of self-pollinators like tomatoes. If you paint a sheet of plastic, cardboard, plywood, whatever... bright yellow, suspend it on a string near the plants and coat that board with a thin layer of clear grease, the flies are attracted by the yellow wavelength, land on the board and get stuck. spiffy.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:31 AM
link   

i'm very close to going on a rant,so i'll just quote Gilligan.

lies, lies ,poppycock and lies

ooou did you tell a fib

s&f for you my friend you beat me to it.
i would like to add that if you can afford it once in a while.

organic beef is the bomb baby!

[edit on 30-7-2009 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Like I said,

just plant your own food. Or simply hunt and eat that meat. Why? Because it's natural. We all know buying anything from the local supermarket isn't the most..natural product..

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by contemplator

Because your grandmother lived 50 years with unadulterated food, most probably local, without the same amount of preservatives and chemicals that they use today.

Or she just has good genes.

That is like saying that your grandmother lived till 96 as a smoker, so therefor smoking can't be bad for you.

One person doesn't negate the rule. They are just an exception.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

Even what they feed the animals makes a huge difference. Like what you said with grass fed cows. So much better.

It is hard to buy eggs that are not from "vegetarian" fed hens. They promote this like it is a good thing. What they are saying is a strictly corn diet.

Hens are not vegetarians. they eat bugs, and worms and creepies and crawlies.

And if your lucky to find a farm that feeds turkey and hens a natural diet, or better yet, heritage poultry. OMG

You will never eat a store bird again.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
That independent research was probably bribed by Monsanto. They can continue to eat food that has been changed so much it won't die if you spray roundup on it, but I will stick to food that actually dies if you put poison on it.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join