It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic has no health benefits

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Nickmare

Natural toxins designed for insects is going to take down a human. Right.

Actually, I've read that the chemicals they produce to combat pests is good for you. I just forgot what they're called.

Same with fertilizers. Plants that are not given fertilizers produce their own nutrients (or something to that effect). Plants that were don't have these.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DohBama

why any sugar at all?

why not use splenda?

because sucralose = non 'organic'

yet it is 100% healthier that any organic cane sugar.

sugar has no nutritional benefit.

lol That's the dumbest thing I've heard. Splenda is a derivative of chlorine. go keep using it.

[edit on 7/29/2009 by eldard]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by DohBama

soymilk = 100% healthier than cow milk.

Ahahaha! Dude you really are hopeless. www.westonaprice.org...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
If you want a natural sweetener, you can grow your own Stevia. We do. It grows in our opressive tropical climate, and is more adaptive to cooler temperatures.

I love how the OP's link declares organics to be equal to nonorganic produce. Sure, similar nutritional value, but who decided to not measure the negative effects of the pesticides?

Grow your own. There's little excuse not to. Although we have 9 acres of bush under our [temporary] control, we garden in containers. We're able to grow more than 50% of our needs in less than 150 square feet. If TSHTF, we can augment our nutritional needs with coconut, breadfruit and other plants.

Even supplying 5% of your needs is better than nothing. Get growing!! Plant only open-pollinated seeds, and learn how to preserve the seeds from your plants, to replant again. It works.

say NO!!!!! to vegetable products that you have no clue what they contain. Take responsibility for your own health.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Could it be just a coincidence that the rate of cancer is so high because of the chemicals used in making all the foods bug proof, long shelf life, and ability to withstand across sea travels without bruising. Nah... that couldn't be it at all. Please be sure to invest in Monsanto chemical company, cause they are all about health.... wait... it just so happens they also have their leash around the FDA......Opps i never said that.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

That is so cool you can be so self reliant. I wish it were that simple,. however in this part of the world(meaning my house)unless we quite our jobs and figure how to not pay a mortgage,... we're kinda stuck in this cycle for a while.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
First of all America is a "label-society". Put a label on whatever you want and people will believe that they get what the label says, without questioning it.

HERE'S THE CATCH:

If you think that in organic food there are no fertilizers and chemicals. THEN YOU ARE WRONG!
However, there are other chemicals and in different dosages which doesn't make it healthier at all.

If you have the chance to talk to a food producer and he is actually a friend of yours and honest about it, he will tell you that he is allowed, AND EVEN REQUIRED, to put certain substances, chemicals, etc.. in and on his "organic food". Otherwise he is not allowed to sell it. Regulations!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

The reason organic is more expensive is because: since you don't use chemicals, you don't have nearly the yield or success of chemcial farming. If you have never eaten "organic" then you don't know that there is a profound difference. I have people come to my house to eat and have remarked on how good something is, w/o knowing it is organic. There is a HUGE difference.

I get milk delivered right from a dairy, in glass bottles. Homoginized, but hormone free. Huge diffference there too. We can't even drink commercial milk anymore. Tastes like a penny with water poured on it compared to the real stuff.

The other reason it is expensive is that in order to get an organic label, you have to have your process certified from birth to death. The fields have to be organic, the food cannot be processes in the same factory as anything non organic. Not only is the it a lengthy process, but an expensive one. That is why many companies go "natural" quite a few are organic, but can't foot the bill to have it certified.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I have never tasted a penny.. wait a minute,. heres one............................. blachhh. no I don't like that. Have you ever had farm raised chicken roasted. Soooo much better that store, mass produced chicken. it actually has flavor. and I was in Hawaii a few years ago, had some strawberries grown without chemicals..... wow they were all so sweet and not the size of pears

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
"research by one of the most respected medical institutes in India recently found that farming villages using large amounts of pesticides have significantly higher rates of cancer than villages that use less of the chemicals."

www.npr.org...

Homegrown organic all the way. Like a chef once said, "make sure you grind your own pepper because when you purchase ready ground, you do not know who is grinding it and what they're putting into it."

The problem with these harmful pesticides is that they seep into the water supply and you get them into your system anyway, whether or not you decide to ingest that tasteless chemically tainted food. Next they'll be telling you that drinking water out of your toilet is just as safe as drinking it from your tap.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by eldard

Ok...two minutes of research and you would have found that there are indeed many harmful natural toxins.

I am not saying pesticides are better. I'm just saying it is naive for people to eat organic and assume they are immune from illnesses caused by food.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Well...like others I also find theres a definite difference in tastes/flavours of the vegetables and fruits I grow myself than those I may purchase from the store.

So too the seafood I collect, fish I catch, and meat I hunt.

Is it better for me though? Hmmm. I personally think it is:
- I notice the colouring of my eyes is better when eating predominately naturally grown or hunted/collected foods
- I notice I have more energy, can exercise for longer and generally feel *happier and calmer*
- I notice my outputs at work increase - my ability to process data, make decisions, complete tasks etc all improve...I summise thats perhaps due to a possible increase in cognitive functioning
- I also notice that I actually excrete less body odour via perspiration - okay, my wife more notices that - when I'm consuming less of the 'store bought' foodstuffs
- Those, err, 'calls of nature' are far more regular and less prone to anything like constipation etc

...and one other thing, which is probably even a little too wishy-washy but I believe it:
I personally find on some, dear I say *spiritual* level, I am more *balanced* when eating predominately naturally grown/hunting/collected foods.
Perhaps - particularily with meat - there is something to some theories about the trauma of the animal, the negative context they are farmed in and slaughter in that in some way *imprints* into the flesh of it which is then consumed.

Either way - for me at least - I do believe there are health gains. Be it physical, mental, emotional, spiritual. Even if its just from the whole 'feel good' factor of gardening and sitting down to a meal you know YOU grew, YOU gathered, YOU caught/hunted...a sense of pride if you will...

Peace.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I always try to buy organic when it comes to things like berries and food with thin skin like apples. If it's something like a lemon, pumpkin, coconut, or orange and I don't plan to use the skin, it doesn't matter much to me.

And when it comes to meat, I try to get natural meats and poultry, with no hormones.

But it can be very expensive, and it's hard to tell with packaged food or in restaurants what you're actually getting.

I know that I'd rather not have to ingest pesticides. Ever.

[edit on 7/29/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Reply to post by DohBama

Actually if every other person on a street or block or apartment complex grew gardens with a mixture of fruits and veg and traded what they do not need for what they do not have or the ones without anything paid just a little bit then that would save money out the ying yang. People are LAZY and thats why they are fat! You would have to severly over-indulge on fruits and veggies to make your self fat. And common sense is all you need to understand that fertilizers and pesticides do not only harm you but also the land. But eat what you want, does not affect me at all. Let the blind lead the blind and let the dead bury the dead. Never again will I refer to either as sheeple, because even sheep sense when they are being led to the slaughter.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DohBama

Sugar (not high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners of any kind) is needed by the body. Too much sugar is what can cause health problems, just like too much of any one substance can cause health problems. However, the difference in artificial or modified foods and organic (the truly organic with no additives, just raw food) is that some of the things included in artificial and modified foods is actually detrimental to your health even in small amounts unlike natural organic foods. Perhaps research what those against certain artificial and modified foods (even including the much loved splenda) have to say about them and you might be surprised at what you will find, because what you see is not what you get most of the time.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Of course it's not any better than any food we buy from the supermarket. Honestly...what IS good for us anymore?

Plant what you eat. It's the only thing natural.

Or if you eat me, just hunt....at least you know where your meat is coming from..

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by alienesque

I'm so glad your on the same page as I am...
I thought I was going to have to tell someone off

Organic is sooo much better for you. No preservatives, pesticides, growth hormones, and on and on.

Obviously some one upstairs wants us to be eating this crap.
Lets ask ourselves why.

I keep saying its going to start with food.
Watch what you eat people, especially with our new food safety czar.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Rgardless of the health benefits organic and home grown without poison tastes MUCH MUCH better. Buy a store bought tomatoe that is not orgaic then go to your farmers market and buy an organicly grown tomatoe and see which one tastes like it has more nutrients...

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Organic has no health benefits

Look, everything that is grown, is organic. The word itself is taken from 'Organism'. But go to the grocery story, find something with a green label that is either 'organic' or 'natural' and the price is jacked up through the roof.

It's a trendy thing to buy organic. It looks good and if you are silly enough to let it make you think you are eating better, it works too.

It's a gimmick to sell ordinary food at higher prices to those that have more money than common sense.

so many wrongs in this post...

Sure, get technical, the term "Organic" can relate to anything that is grown.
Great catch!

What about all the NON-Organic crap they put in and on the food? What do we call that?

Why is the price jacked?
ez.
Without the preservatives the food goes bad quicker. therefore, if it doesn't sell quickly it has to be thrown out for compost. They sell less, therefore, the price needs to be raised in order to make any profit. And yes, farmers need profit to keep farming and provide for themselves and their family.

Believe what you want.
Youre wrong, but you can still believe it.
Have fun eating all those chemicals.
I'll pay the extra cost and live a healthier life.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Odessy]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Among the 55 of 162 studies that were included in the final analysis, there were a small number of differences in nutrition between organic and conventionally produced food but not large enough to be of any public health relevance, said study leader Dr Alan Dangour.

Im not gonna take this guys word for it

Who the hell is this guy

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join