It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Organic has no health benefits

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
As far as fruits and vegetables go..

I've read many times that organic is not necessarily better for you.

That is because, when pesticides are not sprayed on the plants they produce more of their natural toxins to deal with pests.

These toxins can be unhealthy/dangerous for us. Just like pesticides can be. I've heard that this makes certain items safer choices to eat organic.

This kinda ruined the idea of eating organic for me. But I hope I'm shown that this is wrong.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienesque

Organic has no health benefits

news.bbc.co.uk

Organic food is no healthier than ordinary food, a large independent review has concluded.
There is little difference in nutritional value and no evidence of any extra health benefits from eating organic produce, UK researchers found.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Who funded this "Independent" review?

Once we figure that out, it will all make sense....

Who profits from saying this?

Monsanto?

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Pretty soon we will start hearing some ridiculous stuff like " Drinking pure chlorine actually is good for clearing your system"

And you know people would do it just because people in power told them tooo..

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by DohBama

This is going to sound a little off coming from me, but I actually agree to a certain extent with DohBama. ALL FOOD CAN BE UNHEALTHY. Most of our drugs come from wild plants, including trees in the Amazon we tear down.

The key that the pro-organics are pointing out here is that the organic foods have less of the nasty pesticides and crap that they spray on our food these days. Also GMO foods are just risky. Sure, they can be completely harmless and can help feed our hugely over populated world with food that has been mutated to grow faster. The problem is that we are monkeying with a system (genetics) that we cannot fully understand as yet.

I for one do not buy "Organic" foods from large chain stores. It is overpriced and usually pretty nasty. I *do* go to a place called Sprouts pretty regularly, though. I get my organics there because they are actually less expensive than REGULAR food at the grocery store and amazingly good wuality. The key here is the source. Private farms from small growers who follow the principles of natural gardening.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by alienesque

That is probably true...except that with organics you are not ingesting all of the toxic chemicals and pesticides that they have been sprayed with to make factory farming possible...same is true with free range beef, chicken or fish.

AND regardless of nutritional value they simply taste better....and given the choice of a mass produced tomato picked green then gassed to look ripe at the local super mart or a fresh actually ripe one from my local co-op or better yet from my own organic garden...

Well there simply is no contest.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DohBama

The soy beans produced in the US are GM so like everything soy for the standard point of somebody that prefer organic is not that good.

Beside soy is good for women in pre menopause years and menopause but when it comes to males, well you may end up having breast.

Great source of protein still.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Nickmare

Well since the beginning of humanity after hunting and gathering farming became one of the most important roles of food consumption, if fruits and vegetables were producing toxins that kill people or make them sick then we will not be here now.

But beware of what gene manipulation of the food you eat can do for you.

Because profits out weight concerns and we many never know and what we may know the government will never accept as true.

After all the US produces most of the GM in the world

[edit on 29-7-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I think that whether or not organic food is any more nutritious for us is a moot point - not being dunked in poison from vine to mouth must certainly make it less bad.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

Originally posted by redoubt
It's a trendy thing to buy organic. It looks good and if you are silly enough to let it make you think you are eating better, it works too.

It's a gimmick to sell ordinary food at higher prices to those that have more money than common sense.

To me organic food is food grown in your organic garden in your backyard, not what you buy from the store.

For example, look at tomatoes that are organic at the grocery store, they are way too shinny and clean to be completely organic.

Grow an organic garden, you will thank me endlessly!

I agree with you.

I've always thought of organic food being stuff you grow at home in your own garden. Sure they label some food organic at the supermarket but do we really know what has been done to it? It's just an excuse to jack up the price.

Home grown produce all the way

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
maybe to an extent, labeling food as organic can be a sham, but actually in order to be authorized as organic, the land has to be free of chemicals and if it has had chemicals used on it in the past, and by protocol the land has to go so many years without any use of chemicals for a specific amount of years, atleast in Washington State. So be assured the organic foods are much better, next time your in the store, see if the organic apples are covered in any wax, then go over and inspect the non organic apples.

Theres a large visual difference between organic and non organic.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DohBama

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

I will tell you what... Organic milk has a HUGELY different effect on me than regular milk. Plus it tastes better.

even organic milk contains sugar, fat, hormones and pus.

and what about pastuerisation?

that kills organisms, so just how organic is 'organic' milk?

or does it come right out of the udder?

soymilk = 100% healthier than cow milk.

I grew up drinking it unhomogonized from a dairy farm in the 80's.

Organic milk is the closest thing I can find to it. I don't care if it's healthier or not, but I like it a lot better!

As for fat... you need fat. When I was a child people fed me 2% milk and skim milk and guess what... I ended up with Epilepsy... but when I went on to the full fat milk, in accordance with the ketogenic diet, My epilepsy was cured.

Fat doesn't mean unhealthy, neither does sugars.

And yea Soymilk is great if you want to reduce your testosterone levels and subject yourself to extremely high doses of Omega-6

[edit on 29-7-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

I will tell you what... Organic milk has a HUGELY different effect on me than regular milk. Plus it tastes better.

even organic milk contains sugar, fat, hormones and pus.

and what about pastuerisation?

that kills organisms, so just how organic is 'organic' milk?

or does it come right out of the udder?

soymilk = 100% healthier than cow milk.

I grew up drinking it unhomogonized from a dairy farm in the 80's.

Organic milk is the closest thing I can find to it. I don't care if it's healthier or not, but I like it a lot better!

As for fat... you need fat. When I was a child people fed me 2% milk and skim milk and guess what... I ended up with Epilepsy... but when I went on to the full fat milk, in accordance with the ketogenic diet, My epilepsy was cured.

And yea Soymilk is great if you want to reduce your testosterone levels and subject yourself to extremely high doses of Omega-6

I live on a small dairy... I agree 100% You can live purely on raw milk alone, healthiest thing in the world. (As long as the cow is healthy), our cows are pretty plump and healthy though, we feed them a lot.

HunkaHunka sounds like a city kid

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Scarcer]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Just remember what drug group is one of the money making biggest drug for pharma, STATINS.

That is why fat has been advertised as bad for you, because it makes you big and it gives you cholesterol.

Fat is bad but great business for big pharma.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Except for in organic milk...no growth hormones.

If their is no problem with these hormones why have the Eu and Canada outlawed them? But the FDA doesnt even comment when questioned?

I only allow my children to drink organic milk. Their are many liars in high positions... And I would not go off one study. We still don't know the affects of genetically modified foods yet.

Still lots to learn...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   

reply to post by ModernAcademia

because the topic is organic food, which also contains fat and sugar, which is no better than the supposed non-organic food that some claim is unhealthy.

organic fat and organic sugar makes people just as tubby. which is unhealthy.

organic is a myth, as far a health benefit go, and wastes resource that could be better focused on reducing food costs and making it more widely available.

taste may be one thing, but there is no health benefit in better taste, either.

It seems that there are the standards allowing to put some chemicals into organic food...they only put less of them. As many Poster says really organic is only what you grow by yourself.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The natural toxins in plants don't make people drop dead when ingested 100% of the time. Pesticides don't just flat out kill everybody either. I think we would have noticed.

And humans have been using forms of pesticides for thousands of years...not long after agriculture started I bet. They just didn't use the same processed pesticides used today. Either way the plants wouldn't have the need to produce as many natural toxins.

It really depends on the food. Some are good choices to eat organically, some are bad. For instance, organic potatoes might not be the best choice.

Our livers filter out toxins. Too much of a toxin though and our liver can't keep up.

People that eat organic food eat pesticides everyday. Organic pesticides.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Yeah, this report is totally bogus. Sure, eating organic may not have any short term benefits, but how long have they studied the test subjects? A month? A year?

When they do a 10 or 20 year study, THEN I'll believe them.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I don't know, that sounds strange to me. I never drank ANYTHING but 2% when I was a kid. I know you're not saying that anyone who grows up on lowfat milk is going to get epilepsy but I think that going to whole milk may have just supplemented what you were missing from the rest of your diet. But I don't know what your diet was so I could be blowing air.

Yes, fat and sugar is definitely not necessarily unhealthy. It's the processed fats/sugars that are horrible for you. Pretty much how I see it, if it had to be conjured up by human hands you shouldn't put it in your body. If it occurs naturally in nature it's going to be okay to ingest, in moderation of course.

I really wish I could practice what I preach though. I really, really think these processed foods do have addictive ingredients. Sometimes I get on a kick and do really well at cutting the crap out of my diet for a week or two. My boyfriend will go crazy at the grocery store because I'm being nit picky about reading labels trying to pick foods that have very little processed ingredients and preservatives.

Then it all goes out the window after awhile because I just CRAVE crappy food. This week for example, I can't seem to stop eating crap. Then, when I feel guilty enough, I just know I'll go back to my healthy eating kick. It's a seriously viscous cycle and I blame food additives that are addictive AND horrible for you.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Organic farmers use pesticides, they just choose to call them "botanical products" instead.
There is an increased risk of food-borne illness from organic food, due to the use of manure or compost. Hence E. coli bacteria.

Organic food does'nt last as long, so buy only what your going to eat in a small amount of time. Otherwise you will have to throw it out and thats alot of extra money your throwing out considering.(Unless grow your own!)

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DohBama

Not all fats and sugars are the same. You should really stop talking out of your ass for awhile.

And oh, I don't give a crap about the world's hungry. There are a lot of land around. they can plant potatoes to feed themselves.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join