It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Future Fuel of Planes and Ships

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Crude oil will run out someday soon. Cars that run on Hydrogen and fuel cells are being developed but what will power ships and aircraft after oil runs out?
Anyone know anything or have any ideas?

[Edited on 10/5/04 by Hyperen]

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
cars already run on hydrogen most likely they will use nukes or use hydrogen

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Corn oil!!!
And no problem with fuel.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Some kind of Nuclear or Atomic power that's for certain.
There is some whisperings of some Unmanned Aircraft using a Hafnium system.
For those interested in the aircraft technology here is
a thread I started a while back.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Although I don't have any links regarding the connection
between ships and nuclear power, I am sure it is in the works as nuclear powered subs already exist.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   
well once cars stop running on oil, then the reserves will be lengthened for a time, long enough to find another fuel.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Nuclear power in cars. Isn't that dangerous or expensive?

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

most likely they will use nukes or use hydrogen

1 reason i wouldn't put a nuke in a plane: they get shot at. and the same for nukes in cars. cars wreck. what ahppens then? massive fallout. no my friends, the reason ships and subs can run on nukes safely is that they dont travel among/over large population centers, and they don't get shot at as much. hydrogen fuel cells yes, but the power output has to get up there before it will work in planes. the fuel density of petroleum is still wonderfully high compared to other sources of energy.

Nuclear power in cars. Isn't that dangerous or expensive?

yes and yes.

Some kind of Nuclear or Atomic power that's for certain.

radiothermal isotopes are a possibility but then you must cool it somehow...

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
i was meaning about boats not aircraft NMS
but i share ur view on plnes and nukes
bad combination
theyd use an ion engine mabye cause it runs just on electrikery

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   

theyd use an ion engine mabye cause it runs just on electrikery

yea but where does the electricity come from?

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Hydrogen is the way to go, because its so common. That, or solar power + batteries.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Hydrogen is the way to go, because its so common. That, or solar power + batteries.

you make me laugh dude, batteries? yea right!!!
. try getting the SR-71 to go mach 5+- on batteries!! HAHA LMFAO!!

hydrogen doesn't have the fuel desnity of petrol yet. WAIT, we can use powdered water!!!!

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
u know u can use the ion engine just using electricity from the battery becuase they use it on probes into space

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
I didn't say what size batteries, now did I? Electric cars was what I was thinking, except that the main way to recharge them would be with solar power. It could work with ships, too. You probablly are right, it most likely wouldn't work well with aircraft.

I wasn't saying get a crapload of D batteries and strap em to your car.

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   
It all comes down to fuel desity, or how much power you can get out of a given amount of a certain fuel used in a certain way. But another factor is how quickly you can demand more or less power from the fuel. some fuels can provide a lot a power but take a long time to produce max thrust. i've explained this as best i can....if anyone is unclear i'll try and elaborate more....

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The body's bomb is the very terrific in Israel. if someone used the nuclear body's bomb, many people could be die.
I hate the war, I love the peace.
But, I am a soldier. I must obey to the commands. I can defeat the any of enemys(include: the USA).

posted on May, 10 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I think the future fuel for planes will be Hydrogen Fuel Cells. The only problem about those right now is that we only get as much energy out of the Hydrogen as we put in. As for ships, i think that they will continure to be Nuke-Powered. It just seems alot more economical.

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 12:45 AM
link   
To get hydrogen dont they have to use electricity in electrylosis or something

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I think that the most fuel is water. Because the water is made up of the Hydrogen and the Oxygen( H2O). The hydrogen can product the more power for the human. But the key promble is how to get the hydrogen and oxygen in the water?

posted on May, 11 2004 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
u know u can use the ion engine just using electricity from the battery becuase they use it on probes into space

Ion engine can only be used in space. It is almost imposiblr tyo use it in the atmosphere.

new topics

top topics

join