It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some good news for masons in NC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I just got an e-mail with the links for a story where a "white" AFAM lodge visited with a "black" Prince Hall lodge. In my opinion this is a huge step in the right direction and shows the progression the younger crowd is making. I was very happy to see this, and it brings hope that I will one day be able to sit in the lodge with my family.
New article

second aritcle with more info

I realize this doesn't have the "masons eat babies" conspiracy angle in it, but with the racial tension that has been prevalent in some of the southern states regarding masonry, I think this is defiantly worthy of discussion.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Wow, so now is there going to be an "Obama Lodge"?

* APPLAUSE*

Thanks folks, I'll be here all week. Tip your waitress.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

Good to hear although in this day and age, it's sorta sad that this should qualify as newsworthy.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Fitzgibbon

I agree completely, but you have to understand the mindset here. This is huge compared to some of the things I have heard in the past. About 5 years ago I was invited to attend a clan meeting. Baby steps.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

This is a step in the right direction. We in Missouri have open visitation with Prince Hall and some of the Prince Hall Masons have join bodies here that they do not have. (ie. York Right College). I have found these brothers to be fine gentelmen and I am pround to call them my friends.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
In IL we have full reciprocity and have had PH Masons visit our lodge and we have sent a group to theirs.

It's true that Freemasonry certainly lags behind society in some ways. My lodge is over 150 years old and we just a few months ago admitted our first black member.

It's bad because it took us this long. (I don't believe any black man ever petitioned us before so it wasn't on purpose.)

It's good because it helps us toward the goal of uniting the brotherhood of mankind.

When our PH brothers visited I was struck by how precise and formal they were compared to our typical members. They wore tuxes, gloves, etc. and did other particular things that typically are glossed over or forgotten in our lodge.

It's great that NC is going in the right direction!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
One quick correction to the article, the PH GL of NC passed recognition in 2006, not 2004, as the Charlotte Observer stated.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by network dude
reply to post by Fitzgibbon

I agree completely, but you have to understand the mindset here. This is huge compared to some of the things I have heard in the past. About 5 years ago I was invited to attend a clan meeting. Baby steps.

Klan meeting? Wow! Talk about throwback! Mind you, I can't say that it's as if wee here in Ontario are exactly without sin on the recognition thing. Recognition of Prince Hall here is a relatively recent phenomenon and having sat in on a PH initiation, I think it's something that every Mason should do (circumstances permitting). Certainly, the brethren of the Lodge we visited made the degree almost theatrical by comparison to our first.

To the brethren in NC, keep up the good work. Remember that it's the internal and not the external that Masonry regards.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzgibbon

To the brethren in NC, keep up the good work. Remember that it's the internal and not the external that Masonry regards.

That is one thing I would like to bring up to the lodge when I get to sit in the east. There are a few who forget this, yet at the closing charge at every meeting, this is repeated. I guess it's what context you look at it with. I just think it's great that things are progressing instead of regressing.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzgibbon

That is one thing I would like to bring up to the lodge when I get to sit in the east. There are a few who forget this, yet at the closing charge at every meeting, this is repeated. I guess it's what context you look at it with. I just think it's great that things are progressing instead of regressing.

Man's ability to be uncivil to man surprises me no end. Even when as Masons we profess to look beyond our external differences, the day-to-day nonetheless intrudes. Our visitation to that Prince Hall Lodge was returned in kind when our present Master was installed and I expect that that that dynamic will only improve as the years pass.

For life on Earth to improve, those with an axe to grind must look beyond said axe and recognise that in every man, there's a brother of the dust and that in the great scheme of things, our petty squabbles in this life don't really count for much and are often embarrassing if we try to validate them.

To presume we have nothing to learn from others is to be myopic in the extreme.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Sorry , I was an Ars...

I appolagize !!

but good answere .. !!

[edit on 7/8/2009 by ChemBreather]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

in the deep south, things dealing with race haven't moved much in quite some time. In several states, Prince hall masonry still is not recognized by the grand lodge of said state. For NC to recognize PH lodges is a huge step in itself, but for the lodges to visit on another, is monumental. It's sad that this is news at all, we as a group of people who all breath air, should not be concerned with petty things like what color your skin is. And yes, Prince Hall masonry is predominantly black or (I hate this term) African American.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a good day in the sad history of masonry?

i have to say this news has only caused my interest in becoming a mason to wane.

that there exists sentiments that date back half a century or more is rather disturbing.

while i am happy to hear of progress in masonry in regards to the issue of race, that it Is still such an issue makes me think rather poorly of the organization itself.

in my minds eye i see: a bunch of archey bunkers sitting around begrudgingly admitting 'perhaps' the time has come to view 'darkies' as human.

sad, really rather sad.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

please don't attribute this to masonry as a whole. It is localized to an area. I am sure you have met racist people in your life. There just seems to be a larger group of them in this area. You could look at any social group in the south and see this problem. My issue with this happening in masonry is that we as masons are supposed to judge a man on his internal qualities and not the external. Some take that to mean rich vs poor and ignore the obvious. I hate hypocrisy almost as much as I hate stupid people.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Mike good to see this happen can you enlighten me as to the differencies?

Is Prince hall a recognised body comming under Grand Lodge or whatever the terminology is over their.

Why do they not just join Grand lodge instead of having their own brand?

Sorry for not knowing a lot about this.

I read that the Knights of Columbus was racist and the coloured people wanting to join had to join another group called the Knights of St Peter Claver or something similar.

Is this similar to that?

David

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangeman dave
Mike good to see this happen can you enlighten me as to the differencies?

Is Prince hall a recognised body comming under Grand Lodge or whatever the terminology is over their.

Why do they not just join Grand lodge instead of having their own brand?

Prince Hall has their own Grand Lodge. I have to learn a little more about the history, but from what I understand PH (prince hall) had their charter revoked at some point in the past and then had it re-instated. Hopefully a PH brother will pop in here and clear that up a bit. But in my state, our GL just recognized PH as a masonic body in 2007 or 2008. I am sure it will be a while before we see any big changes.

Sorry for not knowing a lot about this.

I read that the Knights of Columbus was racist and the coloured people wanting to join had to join another group called the Knights of St Peter Claver or something similar.

Is this similar to that?

David

I know of the K of C, but I had not heard about the Knight of St. Peter Claver. I have a friend who is K of C. I will ask him. Have a great day brother David.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

for some reason i thought this was in NY and not NC. my bad.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal

In my eyes that still doesn't make it right, just helps to explain it.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal

In my eyes that still doesn't make it right, just helps to explain it.

oh i completely agree. but i still see racism as much more rampant int he south than in the north, just a simple fact.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

In my experience, 'racism' is everywhere. The media likes to use the South as the example, but it is everywhere. I recall speaking w/ an FBI agent a number of years ago, and we discussed 'the Klan'. He stated that there were more members of the White Power movement up north, than in 'the South'.

Further, racism isn't only white on black.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join