It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tanning Beds As Dangerous As Arsenic, Cancer-Causing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Tanning Beds As Dangerous As Arsenic, Cancer-Causing

health.yahoo.com

LONDON - International cancer experts have moved tanning beds and other sources of ultraviolet radiation into the top cancer risk category, deeming them as deadly as arsenic and mustard gas. For years, scientists have described tanning beds and ultraviolet radiation as "probable carcinogens."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
A new analysis of about 20 studies concludes the risk of skin cancer jumps by 75 percent when people start using tanning beds before age 30. Experts also found that all types of ultraviolet radiation caused worrying mutations in mice, proof the radiation is carcinogenic. Previously, only one type of ultraviolet radiation was thought to be lethal.

health.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
LOOK UP CANCER VS CALCIUM.

It is all bull. You are what you eat. Western society is geared to promote cancer, and those government bods all bloody know it.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
One of my Physics professors had a study posted on his door. The headline read "Arsenic Extends Life!" The study had a lethal dose of Arsenic given to rats, but spread out over a length of time. The mice lived 30% longer. The premise was the bodies stress response to the Arsenic actually forced the bodies to repair and adapt more rapidly!

The study was repeated with Radiation and other "Lethal" poisons. The result was always similar. They lived LONGER!

It was kind of a joke to the professor and his students, but it was a lesson learned. The key is MODERATION!! Tanning for 8 hours is bad! But, spread out in 20 minute increments it may be good!

10,000 calories is bad! But 2,000 per day for 5 days is good!
Chain smoking is bad! But, an occasional nicotine fix has health benefits!

Chocolate, Red Wine, Liquor, Exercise, Cholesterol = All good in moderation, but bad in excess!!

Even water can be lethal. Marathon runners have to be careful to not flush all their electrolytes out of their body and die. It happens fairly often. But, water in moderation is essential to life!

MODERATION - MODERATION - MODERATION!!

[edit on 29-7-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

VERY Interesting.

I know thats a crap post but seriously, very interesting. Maybe that explains why we are living longer, with the use of medicine and constant barrage of illnesses people's bodies are having to adapt faster...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Everything causes cancer these days

I was watching on the news this morning about this and some people want to get sunbeds banned, I personally think we need to stop this stupid nanny coddling we have with the state and allow people to decide for themselves if they want to get a tan and possibly increase the risk of cancer or not.

If we had more sun in the UK would they be attempting to ban the sun as that can cause cancer too

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Ultraviolet light is required for adequate vitamin D synthesis, which plays a massive part in keeping our immune systems running efficiently, along with many other benefits such as hormonal balancing. Sunlight is obviously our numero uno source, but this is the UK.......take a look outside.

Now why would the PTB want to turn us away from doing such a thing as boosting our immune systems with Ultraviolet light? Anyone would think they wanted us to get ill!

Remus

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by RemusUK
Ultraviolet light is required for adequate vitamin D synthesis, which plays a massive part in keeping our immune systems running efficiently, along with many other benefits such as hormonal balancing. Sunlight is obviously our numero uno source, but this is the UK.......take a look outside.

Now why would the PTB want to turn us away from doing such a thing as boosting our immune systems with Ultraviolet light? Anyone would think they wanted us to get ill!

Remus

Absolutely Correct. And to be even more timely, the number one thing Vitamin D helps fight = Viruses! So tanning vs. vaccinations. Sun = Free, Vaccinations = Big Pharma! That is how it all works! Plus, a good base tan actually helps prevent cancer! Sunburning is bad, but nice slow tanning is good!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Well been from the Caribbean and having a "natural tan" it makes me wonder sometimes why people with "fair" complexions wants to look like burn out toast bread, their skin turn dry and wrinkly, that means their skin is delicate and should never be allowed to burn.

I take the sun light rays anytime before a tanning bed.

As my skin can handle the beneficial warming rays and anybody too as long as its done during the early hours of the morning.

But Is truly sad, to see so many women and young girls lining out for a sunless tan at the gym I am a member.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Duh tanning beds cause cancer? Actually if you equate the amount of time in a bed to about 10 minutes in the sun which means you spend less time in the bed...like 6 minutes then you lessen the risk if you get the idea here. If you use it in small increments then it isn't any more harmful than being outside.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Here's a link to some info on vitamin D and influenza, and indeed the spanish flu pandemic of 1918 -

Link

As for the cancer link, I think too much of anything can be harmful as fellow member getreadyalready mentioned. I strongly believe that cancer is actually caused by all the additives in our food, such as aspartame and MSG.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by RemusUK

No cancer is mainly caused by the acidity of our diets. When our body's ph level is acidic it expels oxygen. Then when it comes round to cell mutation, the mutation screws up coz there isnt enough oxygen available, and o what you know we have a cancerous growth.

Western diet promotes acidic ph in our body.

Look at this www.angelfire.com...

Cheers,

Brad

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RemusUK

Yeah but most tanning beds don't produce the same UVs as the sun. Besides, any self-respecting purist would not use those beds.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I went on a sun bed today

If people want to get on their high horses about skin cancer though, why dont they concentrate on getting all sun creams below factor 30 banned.. surely that would be more effective due to the amount of people getting skin cancer from going on holidays and slow roasting in the sun all day long is alot higher than cancer caused by sunbeds?
And, why not ban smoking while they're at it as well?

Either way, Im not too fussed, I dont go on them enough to resemble a leather handbag. So at least I'll look nice when I die :u:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by eldard
reply to post by RemusUK

Yeah but most tanning beds don't produce the same UVs as the sun. Besides, any self-respecting purist would not use those beds.

Of course they do. The majority of them produce 95% UVA and 5% UVB, the latter being the most dangerous in prolonged exposure. However it is also the latter (UVB) that promotes the synthesis of vitamin D.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I guess its time for the tanning bed bathers to start to feel the scorn smokers have had to listen to.

I always thought tanning beds was stupid. People who want to look tan go and lay in a coffin for x amount of minutes bored out of their minds instead of going outside and enjoying the sun are lazy. On top of that, they pay to be in the coffin while the sun is free.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by jd140]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
My gym's already getting worried & rolling out the tanning bed specials.

I walked in their today & they offered me a free "sports bag" if I tried a session!

Nup.......I'll think I'll give the tanning beds a miss.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I dont see what the huge deal is. Moderation is key, this has been established already.

Im sure caveman or thousands of generations afterward didnt worry about factor 30 sun cream. Stop buying into this mass hype jeez.

Wow, salt causes cance, uv causes cancer, bread causes cancer. You know what...i really dont care no more. im living life and being happy. If i want to go on a sun bed i will. If it happens that I eventually get cancer so bloody be it.

There is one thing we all HAVE to do in life. That is to die.

Dah well.

While im here, im having fun

Telling you all though, selenium, vit E, 2-3 litres of water, 1000mg of calcium, 600 mg of magnesium and about 3mg of Boron. (per day) You will not get cancer.

~Thanks

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Toughiv]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I'm sure most of you have seen this, but I just love it, so here it is again. I checked it on Snopes before I posted, because I wanted my facts straight, although I could have created it from memory!

I feel it is appropriate to this discussion.

www.snopes.com...

BAN DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE!

Dihydrogen monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and kills uncounted thousands of people every year. Most of these deaths are caused by accidental inhalation of DHMO, but the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide do not end there. Prolonged exposure to its solid form causes severe tissue damage. Symptoms of DHMO ingestion can include excessive sweating and urination, and possibly a bloated feeling, nausea, vomiting and body electrolyte imbalance. For those who have become dependent, DHMO withdrawal means certain death.

Dihydrogen monoxide:

is also known as hydroxl acid, and is the major component of acid rain.
contributes to the "greenhouse effect."
may cause severe burns.
contributes to the erosion of our natural landscape.
accelerates corrosion and rusting of many metals.
may cause electrical failures and decreased effectiveness of automobile brakes.
has been found in excised tumors of terminal cancer patients.

Contamination is reaching epidemic proportions!

Quantities of dihydrogen monoxide have been found in almost every stream, lake, and reservoir in America today. But the pollution is global, and the contaminant has even been found in Antarctic ice. DHMO has caused millions of dollars of property damage in the midwest, and recently California.

Despite the danger, dihydrogen monoxide is often used:

as an industrial solvent and coolant.
in nuclear power plants.
in the production of styrofoam.
as a fire retardant.
in many forms of cruel animal research.
in the distribution of pesticides. Even after washing, produce remains contaminated by this chemical.
as an additive in certain "junk-foods" and other food products.

Companies dump waste DHMO into rivers and the ocean, and nothing can be done to stop them because this practice is still legal. The impact on wildlife is extreme, and we cannot afford to ignore it any longer!

The American government has refused to ban the production, distribution, or use of this damaging chemical due to its "importance to the economic health of this nation." In fact, the navy and other military organizations are conducting experiments with DHMO, and designing multi-billion dollar devices to control and utilize it during warfare situations. Hundreds of military research facilities receive tons of it through a highly sophisticated underground distribution network. Many store large quantities for later use.

RIDICULOUSNESS OF THE "REPORTS" THAT WE TAKE AS FACTS!!

This kid won his Science Fair by getting a petition signed that would successfully have banned WATER from his town!!

[edit on 30-7-2009 by getreadyalready]

[edit on 30-7-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

A coffin? You must have seen some strange coffins.. and they arent boring, most have cd players/radios in them.
And how is it lazy to spend 6 minutes on a sun bed instead of 2 hours lying in the sun?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join