It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A change in U.S Israeli relations? Is it the right path?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
It seems quite clear that there has been a sizeable shift in the relationship between the new U.S administration headed by Obama and Israels own incumbents headed by Netenyahu.

The Obama administration has been quite clear that is wants a freeze on settlement expansion and a strong pursuit of a two-state solution including the division of Jerusalem.www.haaretz.com...

It would also appear, at least on the extreme right that many Israeli citizens are turning against America and Obama in particular. Which is further exacerbated by reports that Netanyahu has referred to Emanuel and David Axelrod as 'self-hating' Jews and auto 'anti-semites'.
maxblumenthal.com...

Now people can argue that these changes are only in speech and tone alone, citing that nothing has actually changed on the ground for Palastinians, but it first has to change at the decision making levels before it can filter down to the people. I really feel Israel is going to have to manke a decision to either wholly throw themselves into a proper peace dialogue which includes Hamas or face a threat to their 10's of billions of dollars worth of loans and weapon supplies.

Some may feel that this is not possible, with the power of AIPAC to persuade Senators who they support that having the words 'anti-semite' on their CV is not helpful to elction bids. But the administration in sending George Mitchell seem to be sending a clear sign to the Israeils that they are serious.

Now it would be easy to paint this as abandoning Israel www.thefreepressonline.co.uk... (an unelievable website), i personally do not see that ever happening. This problem needs to be solved for there to be any progress on the other problems in the region, such as engagement of Iran, bringing Syria out of the cold, taking away a rallying call for fundementalists. This would also help to secure Israels acceptance in the region.

Of course there are two sides, actually mabye 3, or more! to this story. People will point to the Palastinians as killers and people who cannot be negotiated with in particular with the government of the Gaza Strip, Hamas. People will point to the fact that Hamas will not accept the existence of Israel, even though they have offered to do this many times since www.guardian.co.uk... www.antiwar.com... coming into power only to recieve a barrage of F-16 missiles, and assasination attempts.

Now clearly missiles launched against cities within Israel from the Gaza Strip are not helpful in prmoting an environment where peaceful negotiation can be launched. But it was in fact Israel who broke the ceasefire signed in June 08, in November 2008 with a raid into Gaza which killed 6 members, which led to the launch of rockets which Israel at the beggining claimed forced them to invade. Even CNN comfirms this www.youtube.com...

Hamas had kept their side of the bargain and had managed to stop the vast majority of rocket attacks in exchange for border crossings, which never happened.bbsnews.net...

This is just one example of how Israel does not appear to be serious in finding a solution to the conflict, for others search Oslo Accords, a peace settlement attempt during Clintons regin which tried to force peace on Arafat based on completly unacceptable terms for the Palastinains.Now i put it to you all, that unless Israel begins to take steps towards comprehensive peace with the Palastinians without pre-conditions on either side, the U.S should start to roll back its loan commitments and weapons deals.

Does anyone have any objection to this, if so why and what other way can you see?

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
It's all just smoke and mirrors in the end,both Israel and America are changing the goal posts to fit the public view.Either that or America has decided that the palestine issue causes too much problems and has told Israel to put up or shut up.I don't think the relationship is any different at the core with Obama,just couple of days ago i think when robert gates stated that they intend to continue arming israel and giving them the best technological edge in warfare.Claiming to be pressuring a country while still arming them to the teeth...yeah,i dont take that seriously in the slightest.If america really wanted a two state solution they would freeze assets and stop sending them weapons.Like i said dog and pony show imo.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Ok, but there are clear tensions between the two don't you think? on the freezing of settlements and the Jerusalem question? So there are at least some pressures being put on Israel. Yes of course they still carry many of the same views such as on Iran Syria etc.

I see what your saying about freezing weapons and such, but realistically Obamas administration aren't going to suddenly turn round and do that, its not how it works. a steady build up of pressure is how to acheive a break in the conflict. I do not see the current Israeli administation as the ones to push ahead. But lets not forget that it was actually the centrist party Kadima who secured the most seats in parliamentwww.reuters.com... and that it was a coalition that bought Netanyahu to power, and coalitions are always prone to splinter.

I feel the people of Israel, on the whole, are tired of constant conflict and may, if there is no progress towards a resolution between themselves and the Palastinians, swing towards Centrist parties such as Kadima even more so.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Peruvianmonk]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

It is easy to dismiss things as smoke and mirrors than to really try to analyze the situation. The change in the relationship is palpable, it must be exploited to further the peace movement in my humble opinion...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This is good. Time to tell the Jews to stick it. You stole it, you protect it.

if this is all true, that is.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by eldard

I am not looking of expecting for the U.S to abandon Israel, just it becomes an honest broker intenet on making the Israelis realize there is a price to be paid for the help they are given. And that price is peace on an equal footing with the Palastinians. And they as well as the Palastininians are going to have to make sacrifices to achieve this.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
While I hope that both the U.S. and Israel begin acting in a more independant manner, both in services and fincially, I doubt that any serious seperation will occur while Obama has cabinet official(s) that hold dual citizenship. However, AIPAC is not the end all,be all. They are highly influencial among Congress members, but from what I have read the CIA has been pushing for such a move for quite a while, it has been very, ehh, tense between the nations for years. So, I suppose it boils down to whom Obama wants side with, the CIA or a lobbiest group (who during his election claimed to want to reduce their influence).

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Your right, AIPAC isn't the be all or end all in this issue, but they do a good job in portraying themselves in that way! So what have the CIA been urging? A more honest brokerage of the Palastinian-Israeli conflict, or a distancing from Israel, or a combination of the two?

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Peruvianmonk

From what I have read (just to clarify, I do not work in intelligence) the CIA has desired a seperation (not full on non communication, but a leveling of the playing field between the nations). There is also the case of the Israeli spies throughout the US, that the CIA definately wants an end to, there was a rumore of someone named "Mega" who was/is an Israeli spy under Clinton and Bush. This person held a high level position within both administrations, and under Clinton a search was both started and ended, without result. While, many encourage a mutual friendship between the nations, acts such as the above are chipping away at the relationship.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

Yes i can imagine the Israeli spy rings are extremlely worrying for the CIA, as they like to the ones the spying on U.S soil
. Infact a Mossad ring was following many of the suspects involved on 9/11 prior to the attacks......

top topics

join