It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I "know" nothing. And neither do you.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Reply to post by Psychonaughty

Try smashing your face into your keyboard while on strong painkillers. Then what you "know" is wrong.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Reply to post by pantherstar

Agreed.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows
Reply to post by DemonicAngelZero

When you think you know something you believe it stronger than something you classify as a belief.

I think you can only speak for yourself on that one.
And besides, what is the problem about having strong beliefs?
You say like if you believe in something you have to close the doors for everything else...
Belief is a tool to achieve results.
If you are not getting what you want, then you change your belief.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Very nice post, S&F

Kinda reminds of that one quote: The only thing that I know is that I know nothing. Or something like that.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Seriously, you believe you "know" something. But none of us truly "know" anything.

I feel this quote floats. As if it came from outside our usual reality. My only counter argument for this statement is that if we do not truly know anything, it must be that we are still knowing, and that must count for something.

SVE

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I so knew that I knew nothing...in fact, the more I know, the more I realise how little I know; which is nothing.....

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
There is a huge difference between knowing something and believing something ... If I told you not to touch the red-hot stove plate because it would burn you, you may never touch it simply because you believe what I told you is true. However, if you do go ahead, touch it and subsequently burn yourself, you will KNOW that you get burned when you touch a hot stove plate.

Too often we claim to know stuff that we really know sweet nothing about ... Why do we do this? Because we've read something or heard something that seems to ring true or resonates with us. This is called belief-based or learned knowledge. Learned knowledge is not true knowledge ... It is borrowed knowledge and open to error.

Experiential knowledge on the other hand, is knowledge we have gained through first-hand experience and this is true knowledge.

Of course, I concur with others here that (as my sig also testifies) one cannot gain knowledge when one thinks one knows everything ... That said, I also have to agree with someone else's notion that we do actually know everything but that we kinda get hoodwinked by that which we think we know already ... the ego is a powerful 'demon'.

Is it perhaps possible that we do know everything and that we're simply going through a process of remembering what we think we don't know? Is this perhaps why, when we hear something that rings true for us, we immediately identify with it and make it our 'own'?

Of course, this process of remembering can only happen if one actively searches for new knowledge with an open and changeable mind. You can't remember something if you're not even trying ... so some will become more knowledgeable while others will not.

I suspect that all ATS members are cut from the "trying to remember" cloth

Edited for splelling simtakes

[edit on 30/7/2009 by Psyagra]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Silenceisall

Not really. It's about taking yourself with a grain of salt. No one's perception of reality is perfect. It's my opinion that it's rather like a mirror image, if the mirror had flaws and in this particular case they all do, no matter how hard it maybe for us to see for various reasons. Add to that the fact we can and often do convince ourselves of things and will allow nothing and no one to convince us otherwise.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Melyanna Tengwesta

Oh, I never made the argument "So why try?" in fact exact the opposite. But I think we must always be honest with ourselves.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
To all of those that disagree:
Here is a bit of a test, you all believe you "know" something. A couple of you I have buttheaded heads with before on this or that topic *not that that is here of there*. But my test is simple, take what you think you know to be fact now take those that disagree. You can of course and alot of you do declare them to be wrong. Try taking their views into mind, not in the shoddy way a great deal do it with only an interest in disproving their opponent *rather like a few has done with this one* and try to truly understand where they are coming from *you will never completely be able to*. They don't think you're wrong and only by insulting them by saying they "Don't get it.", "Are deluding themselves.", "Are stupid/ignorant/whatever.", and any of a number of cop-outs many use, and while this may in fact be true just because you believe it to be so doesn't make it so.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
-Socrates

Main Entry: 1know
Pronunciation: \ˈnō\
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): knew \ˈnü also ˈnyü\ ; known \ˈnōn\ ; know·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English cnāwan; akin to Old High German bichnāan to recognize, Latin gnoscere, noscere to come to know, Greek gignōskein
Date: before 12th century
transitive verb
1 a (1): to perceive directly : have direct cognition of (2): to have understanding of (3): to recognize the nature of : discern b (1): to recognize as being the same as something previously known (2): to be acquainted or familiar with (3): to have experience of
2 a: to be aware of the truth or factuality of : be convinced or certain of b: to have a practical understanding of
3archaic : to have sexual intercourse with
intransitive verb
1: to have knowledge
2: to be or become cognizant —sometimes used interjectionally with you especially as a filler in informal speech
— know·able \ˈnō-ə-bəl\ adjective
— know·er \ˈnō-ər\ noun
— know from : to have knowledge of

SOURCE:know @ merriam-Webster.com
Seriously, you believe you "know" something. But none of us truly "know" anything. And it is when we delude ourselves into believing and stop questioning something that we believe we know anything. Think of everything that mankind has convinced himself that he "knew" through out history. How much of that has been proven incorrect? How can you justify believing yourself somehow better than they? Are you somhow less failable and beyond them? Our senses can be tricked. And we can trick ourselves and if we let them others can trick us.

Just something to consider. A great number of possibilities believed to be impossible can only be dismissed with the incredulity of a peson who has deluded themselves they know *or others they have faith in to "know"* all that is within the realm of "possible".

[edit on 28-7-2009 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows]

I see ... Really? I KNOW the world is round. I dare you to prove me wrong.

There ARE things you can be absolutely sure they are the way they are. In your post, you seem to attack everything that has been taken as factual.

Fact: You don't know what fact is.

False: You knowing the reason why you started this thread.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

I know that my perception is imperfect *as are all of ours* and can be tricked by myself or any number of things, including the limitations of my senses and how my mind processes information and even that has to pass through through the gates of what I can understand and what I will accept. So yes, I do know that I do not "know" anything.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LyricusMagna

I know exactly why I started this thread. Though you no doubt have yourself convinced you know why I did. Despite whatever I may say so I leave you to yourself.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   
How do you know I know nothing if nothing is truly known?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtinguish

Because the lens through which we view the world is flawed and the mind that interprets the information is imperfect.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
How can people (Both Scientist and Religious) know about stuff (like the after-life or lack of) that cannot be proven (nobody has come back from the death).

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

The world IS our view.
The lens are only flawed if you believe them to be.
They may not let you grasp the totality of reality, but that doesn't mean the lens distort reality.

The mind is perfect, like everything else.
Every interpretation is true to the the interpreter and it probably serves a purpose.
Perfection can be deceiving though.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

reply to post by Xtinguish

Because the lens through which we view the world is flawed and the mind that interprets the information is imperfect.

And you "know" this? How when I can't know the opposite to be true?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I've found one of the most stress releasing responses when asked a question is to say 'I don't know'

It's probably the only really intelligent response

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
There is a seperation between the observer and the observed. And neither is the mind is perfect. Memories are distorted aka changed when they are acessed. Add to that the fact that memories can be wrong from the start.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join