It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grocery Store Employee Catches Purse Snatcher, Gets Fired

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey
I thought it blatantly obvious why they fired him...he should have been manning HIS counter, not leaving it unattended!

I mean how many cabbages went missing while he was out for a jaunt???

You obviously did not read the OP. He was returning from his lunch.

Attitudes like this are turning America into liberal scaredy cats.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I work part time nights as a cashier at Wal Mart (don't ever work at wal mart) and we are told never to chase any one who shop lifts out the door. If we do and we grab them Wal Mart could be sued if the theif claims he was injured and you will lose your job, lawsuit or not.

I caught myself Friday night. 4 teens ran out the door carrying handfull of movies. I take off after them and made it to the doors right before you get outside and I guess my brain overrode my body because my feet stopped at the line.

The manager comes up to me and told me that if I had gone outside I would have been fired on the spot.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
The whole thing could have been prevented if the woman who got her purse snatched had been the one to run down her assailant instead of depending on someone else to do it for her.

Wear cargo pants and put your crap in your pockets.

Carry less crap.

There are a hundred alternatives to this scenario that all rely on personal responsibility.

Personally, I think the guy was being a solid citizen but there's no way he'll win that argument. I hope that lady feeds his family while he's out of work.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Its the ladys fault for carrying a purse?

That is the dumbest thing I have read on here in a month. I guess it would be a womans fault for getting raped because she dressed sexy.

Yep her carrying a purse just egged on the thief until he couldn't help himself. He is completely innocent in the events that occured because of his weakness brought on by that woman carrying a purse.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by 1st Person Conspiracy

Love your neighbor as yourself

Put others a. of yourself. That is good.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Oh get over yourself already. I didn't say it was her fault for carrying a purse. The point was that people need to take responsibility for themselves and be aware of what type of world they're living in.

I'd like to be able to leave my doors unlocked and my windows open at night but that would just be stupid.

I'd like to be able to leave the keys in my car when I just need to run into the store for 30 seconds but that would just be stupid.

There are certain precautions one takes when out and about. Is there really any reason to carry a purse when you're going grocery shopping? I carry my drivers license and my cash. Both fit in my wrist band wallet.

Most women who carry a purse into a grocery store put the purse in the top part of the basket when they're shopping and turn their backs on it while they're inspecting items they want to purchase or reading labels. It's not a very responsible thing to do.

Being a trusting person doesn't make you a bad person but it usually takes something like this to make people aware that they need to be more cautious. Also, is there any reason SHE couldn't have kicked the guy's butt?

Honestly! Standing in a public place screaming because your purse got snatched!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
One night while smoking a cigarette on break at a video store a co-worker pointed out a guy in a big jacket obviously trying to conceal something and running across the parking lot. My co-worker correctly figured he had just robbed the grocery store a few stores down from us. My co-worker then tried to convince me to help him stop the guy. This seemed insanely stupid, as I pointed out, because the thief may have a gun and I am not getting shot over material objects. Well, I use to go to that grocery store most nights after work so I went in that night and asked them what had happened earilier. Yes, a man stole cartoons of cigarettes at gun point. Should I have tried to stop the obvious thief and risked getting shot over $150 or so in smokes? If you think the answer is yes then please by all means do so when you are in the situation and hopefully when we hear about it on the news we can nonimate you for the Darwin Awards.

Vas

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasilis Azoth

And that is part of what is wrong in this world.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

Women carry purses, get over it.

You assume she left her purse unattended or that she turned her back towards it. Instead of blaming the thief you chose to blame the woman for screaming that the guy stole her purse.

You know nothing about this woman, maybe she is a small petite woman and the guy was the size of a linebacker. Maybe the guy was well away from her and screaming for somebody to grab him was the only chance of him getting caught and getting her purse back?

Instead of you thinking about this you chose to blame her for his getting fired because she chose to take a purse inside a grocery store.

I believe you are the one who needs to get over yourself and stop blaming the victim for the events the thief caused.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1st Person Conspiracy
This is similar to the story I read a few years ago, except it involved a Loss Prevention Manager who instead of doing his job, tended to the produce department all day because he was a vegetarian and had an extreme desire to make the produce look nice and moist.

The simple fact is that we get hired on to do a job. Don't do it, and you can be fired.

LOL

Loss Prevention? That's strictly for the stores benefit. They don't care about the average consumer getting ripped off. They protect the stores interests, so you are way off base even when being a smartass.

Next time you go to Wally World note the signs ... 'We have camera's watching our parking lots, but we aren't responsible for theft of your vehicle or anything in it' .... and they only might help with video footage if strongly compelled!

BlaH

Edit adding:
That '1st' guy is .ed to the 10th slot in my ignore list : Hey, Mods... we need longer ignore lists!

S&F for the OP for bringing attentions to boycott a (pin.) store AND to fired dude for being a Patriot!

[edit on 7·29·09 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Love your neighbor as yourself

Put others a. of yourself. That is good.

Okay, tell me where you live and I'll move next door to you. You'll obviously be paying for my utilities, food, car payments, gas, etc.. etc...

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrMattMaddix

Originally posted by 1st Person Conspiracy
This is similar to the story I read a few years ago, except it involved a Loss Prevention Manager who instead of doing his job, tended to the produce department all day because he was a vegetarian and had an extreme desire to make the produce look nice and moist.

The simple fact is that we get hired on to do a job. Don't do it, and you can be fired.

LOL

Loss Prevention? That's strictly for the stores benefit. They don't care about the average consumer getting ripped off. They protect the stores interests, so you are way off base even when being a smartass.

Where did I say otherwise?

Do you know how to read properly, or are you like the rest of them - filling in imaginary words and sentences to come up with an off-the-wall reply?

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I got fired from my job recently. I worked as a cashier at a local gas station to help pay the bills while I am finishing school. Keep in mind that the manager is so blatant in her hypocrisy that her boyfriend comes in for some free shopping. That being said, when we are tending the store, we do it all alone. Occasionally, a homeless person will stop by. If they are the sneaky type who blindsides customers, they are out of there. If they are the sweet type, I show some leeway. I have never been given any problems, as I know how to tell the difference. Nevertheless, a certain homeless guy who I like, who I know is not capable of work but has a decent heart, he came in needing $20 for the copay on his prescriptions. I had the $20 in my car, parked outside the gas station. We were busy, and I could not go outside for probably at least an hour. I gave him $20 out of the drawer, and I immediately wrote it down as a separate amount on my safe drop sheet, as to be right out in the open, as to not be sneaky. Before my shift ended, I was able to go outside to my car and replace the $20. I was fired, and they told unemployment that my improper cash handling procedures resulted in shortages, which it did not. I'll be fine, as I am going to start a taxi driving job in a couple of weeks. But the blatant inflexibility and hypocrisy got to me. There was clearly no deception, I had been working there for over a year, and I have a history of selectively helping people out of my money. I will spot certain customers if they are short, out of my money. It just goes to show that some mindless standards trump human standards. This incident with this manager is not at all surprising. Don't do what you know is right in the situation. Mindlessly submit to procedure.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   

So, are you saying that morality should die because some will take advantage of the good? That is obviously true, but if you are looking at life through this tunnel vision, then it is not unlikely that you are the type to take advantage. The culmination of taking advantage, sans morality, leads to a society that devours itself into nothingness.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
This is SOP for a lot of retail establishments. He was working at the time and can technically only pursue a suspect within certain boundaries of the store. Typically, this applies to shoplifters and most likely applies in this case as well. Most stores only allow their loss prevention teams to actually pursue a suspect.

Policy is policy. Unfortunately, in our lawsuit crazy society things like this happen and all Corporations have strict policies regarding situations like this. A good worker and good samaritan gets fired due to a technicality.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Exactly, and I know not all others see it this way, but I see a system of legalism that manifests itself through society, one that forces us to act in such a specific way at all times (at least within the world of state and corporation) that we forget our very humanity, that thread that binds us. It is like tribalism has been exploited to create not further integration, but to enhance the separation. Sort of, "Nobody has any wisdom whatsoever, so just mindlessly follow procedure." It is the slave culture epitomized. We all have a need to bond with others. We are a pack species. Sure, we have this stupid, lingering tendency to separate our packs into different groups, but that is changing. I know I was getting tangential, but it was to illustrate something. We have been for ages a society of what one should not do, not one that is about what one should do. As long as a person avoids doing certain things, they are rewarded. That something that a person should be encouraged to actually do, is irrelevant. Besides, if someone strives to do what they should, a mistake will eventually be made that is categorized as something that should not be done. The whole system encourages people to not proactively do the right thing, because there is that chance that the act will be perceived as against an arbitrary rule, or at least against a rule that only applies within a very small context, not considering the dynamics of reality. We, in our purest form, are integrated beings arising from an infinite number of aspects. In the form encouraged by the state and corporation, we are split human beings; our right hand cannot see what the left is doing and vice versa. We become myopic, controlled mechanisms. These mechanisms cannot see outside themselves, so the one is pitted against the other, and society crumbles in its wake.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Oh, and even with morality and what is right thrown out a speeding window, the store made a stupid mistake. First of all, this obviously made media. It was publicized. Every woman in town was about to shop at this grocery store, if they weren't already. This act by this manager was going to increase business several fold. Now, they might lose business in protest of this firing. And the manager will be fine, because someone will see this story and say, "I want that guy working here." I bet he is getting a string of job offers.

Remember, vote with your wallets. I think if a business pulls some crap like this, we should make them 'see the light" by not "seeing our money." Teach them a lesson the only way they can understand, for they only love money.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Didn't you learn anything from the story of Spiderman? If he had let that purse snatcher go, thinking it wasn't his problem, the purse snatcher might have gone out an killed his Uncle Ben.

In all seriousness though, you have a very selfish outlook. If everyone stopped thinking the world only revolves around their own friends and family members, it would be a better place.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
How the hell can he be fired anyway? Is there a possibility that he could sue over unlawful termination or something? The company has to have a legimate reason to fire someone right? And wasn't he technically still on his lunch hour also?

Just so everyone knows, it is clearly stated at any grocery store that you are NOT allowed to resist any type of robber. If you're a cashier, you are told to give them what they ask for.
You have to sign something agreeing to work rules before you can work there.

I have worked at 2 grocery stores and 1 low-end department store and was told the same thing at every one of them.

It was against employee rules, so he got fired. Instead of screaming about it, the woman should have done something about it herself!

Oh, and lunch hours you are still bound by company rules. Even if you are there grocery shopping on your own time, you cannot break them. Example: No drinking on company property rule.
Say its 4 am, the store has been closed since 12, will be closed until 8. If you drink on company property, and someone finds out, you're fired regardless.
They are very specific on these rules, they are constant, and technically lunch breaks are still company time. (If you look at your schedule, it says 9-5, not 9-12 + 1-5)

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BiohazardsBack

That's the point I was trying to make. Thank you for stating it more clearly.

I have intervened many times in things that were clearly not my business to get involved with. See my signature ferchrissake. People need to take some responsibility for themselves. There seems to be a mindset amongst most people that says they can do whatever they want and someone else will be responsible for the consequences of their actions. Someone else will fix it. Someone else will take the blame.

I don't blame the woman for carrying a purse. I do so on occasions myself. I don't blame her for getting robbed. I don't blame people for getting flat tires either. Doo-doo happens. I do think it's ridiculous to stand by the side of the road and scream about having a flat tire. Kind of like screaming in a grocery when you're in no physical danger.

How is it the store's fault or responsibility? Most people call the police when they're robbed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join