It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Health experts confirm it: using sunbeds can give you cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Health experts confirm it: using sunbeds can give you cancer

news.scotsman.com

THE use of sunbeds now ranks alongside smoking, arsenic and exposure to asbestos as a cause of cancer, leading international experts have warned.
Until now, ultraviolet-emitting tanning devices were classified as "probably carcinogenic to humans" by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC).
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Wow.. My sister uses these all the time. Too bad we live in a cloudy country.

When you think people have been using these for decades and are now classed in the same catagory as mustard gas as cancer causing. Is this gonna worry people?? Hard to believe it hasn't been spotted before

Is this the end of my sister fake tan

news.scotsman.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Hey, this is great news.

For the NWO's depopulation plan...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9e8c4f47a77a.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Ummm a sunbed is UV (ultra violet light)... too long exposure to the real sun will give you cancer that is why you use UV block when in the sun

I bet if your sister reads the paper work that came with the sunbed you will see a warning on over exposure

I bet there is even a label on the bed somewhere that says something like "Prolonged use is hazardous to your health"

But heck common sense should tell you its the same risk as the sun, only more so as you don't get the heat with it as well, which usually signals you have had enough

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Well duh

I wonder if this opens the floodgate for lawsuits?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Good! I've been saying this for ages. Tanning is really awful for you... you get the amount of Vitamin D you need just by being exposed to light through windows and while walking outside.

Everyone my age tans. Everyone. Except me. That's why I look like a vampire.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by piniongrease
Is this the end of my sister fake tan

How is it a fake tan? UV from sun, UV from sunbed... toasted critter

Only difference with sunbed is zero tan lines

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13That's why I look like a vampire.

Looking like a Vampire is not healthy... a slight tan is good protects the skin... any one who works outdoors for a living can tell you that...

So... do you have pointy teeth as well?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I remember back at the end of highschool, my girlfriends best friend was really into tanning. She got some promotion for unlimited tanning for 1 week. Some how, they let her break the rules and allowed her to go more than once her day. Well, she got her moneys worth, and by the end of the week she was an odd orange color. It was gross.

It's also weird in the middle of the winter seeing someone so dark that they are orange, like the owner of a local tanning salon I run into him occasionally and no matter what time of year hes orange. It doesn't even look good in my opinion.

A better idea than tanning beds is to just go outside and enjoy the sun... especially right now.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
All I can say is, what did anyone think? Do we have to wait until millions of people are exposed, thousands sickened, before we figure things out? The sun's actinic rays can cause melanoma in people who have been exposed to them; and the greater the exposure, the greater the risk.

Sunbeds tan people by exposing them to man-made actinic rays. So where in this logic do we find the notion that somehow sunbeds won't cause the same problems the sun itself causes? Were they saying that there was no proven link between sunbeds and cancer? Just like the tobacco industry claimed there was no *proof* that smoking caused cancer.

If they want to tan themselves and risk cancer, I say let people go ahead. But they should know the risks. And I just can't see how anyone might have thought that a sunbed was any safer than the beach.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
This reminds me of a really stupid thing I did when I was 16. (there were actually several and even more since, however...) [wavy lines for the way-back machine ] I was watching a friend's house and decided to try their tanning bed. I had acne on my back, and decided to lay face-down, and actually remembered to cover up the bits that had never seen the sun........

But..... I chose to read a book for a few minutes. yep, you guessed it. The UV reflected off the pages of the book, right into my eyes and burned the crap out of the sclera of my eyes. I woke up at x-o'clock with my eyes burning and I couldn't see. Called 911 and they arrived, helped me lock up the place and rushed me to emergency. I spent the next day in the hospital and a kindly nurse dropped me back off at the friend's house, my eyes full of medicinal goo, and patched over and taped.

I learned to negoitiate the house blind, and had a really weird sleep schedule as I couldn't tell light from darkness.

When the patches were taken off four days later, to my relief, my vision was normal. That was the point where I realized that tanning beds are ultra-concentrated UV and have avoided them since.

I work outside much of the time now, and haven't "laid out" in the sun for 30 years or more. I still wear sunscreen sometimes, although I think it has it's own nasties in it. Natural sunlight = good. Artificial concentrated sunlight = baaad. No like.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
We are slowly losing all the good ways to thin the herd.

Pretty soon we'll just be left with firearms and socialized medicine.

top topics

join