It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Five Things You Should Keep In Mind Before Posting In The UFO Forum

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Sam60

I guess too - after having a quick look - I can see a positive side. We know where to look when we need to update our idiot database.

Which is getting bigger by the minute.

Whilst I need to purchase a terabyte for my ATS idiot database list, I only a need a floppy for the non-idiots.

Sad and true.

Again, many thanks Sam and good to see you

[edit on 31-7-2009 by mckyle]

[edit on 31-7-2009 by mckyle]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
[edit on 1/5/2010 by jkrog08]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

You know.....

I was toying around with the idea of starting a thread discussing which thread was the worst ever ATS UFO / Alien thread.

I figured I'd just end up in trouble

However, we could implement the jkrog08 annual award for this.

We could have an awards ceremony & call it "The Kroggies"!

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Sam60]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

is this the thread i heard about where the 'thought Police' were hang'in out ?

Please don't degrade "skeptics" or "debunkers" in your title, as it only makes all of us look bad.

you forgot about degrading... 'believers'

or is that allowed ?

oh ..and i have a thread titled "undeniable proof that aliens are associated with religion"

anybody wanna fight about it ?

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sam60

LOL, I appreciate your kind words my friend. Although I would rather be associated with greatness, rather than the worst of the worst! I am surprised you didn't say the "kroger" award!LOL, my friends occasionally use that pun with me sometimes.

[edit on 8/5/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

LOL, I didn't realize this thread was the "talk of the town"! LOL...

Yea, I will edit that, good point.

oh ..and i have a thread titled "undeniable proof that aliens are associated with religion"

We are all guilty of making a bad choice of thread titles sometimes, here is my recent one,lol:

Three Clinchers For Proof Of Alien Life....Even though it is obvious to most, we need to always remember there is no proof....YET

Oh and you can join my "thought police team" anytime,lol....

[edit on 8/5/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

nobody said it was the talk of the town...i just said i heard about it

We are all guilty of making a bad choice of thread titles sometimes,

i wasn't joking.

i still stand behind that thread title and i will say it again..

anybody wanna fight about it ?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

always remember there is no proof....YET

a little presumptuous of you ..isn't it ?

the only "proof" that will convince the entire world would be a mass landing and even then some will still be in doubt.

don't believe me ? read this...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

don't get me wrong jkrog08, i am only jokin around with you here
and only trying to show that not every incident involving ufo's demands a weak thread title. that's just my opinion and i agree that a anonymous youtube video or some silly picture should not be given a extreme sounding title. we agree on that for sure.

keep up the good work

[edit on 5-8-2009 by easynow]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

For what it's worth, I don't see a problem with the title of your "Fatima" thread. However my position is a little different than yours.

I believe UFO's & religion are entertwined, whether or not one is religious &/or one believes that extraterrestrials are visiting Earth.

I'm going to have another look at your thread.

It makes for interesting reading.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Sam60]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

No need to explain yourself my friend.
But it IS appreciated.

keep up the good work

And you the same!!

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Another necessary bump to perserve this thread and to remind new and old members alike. This woul definately help new and old members and keep the Quality of the UFO/ALien boards improving and progressing.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

Yes it is becoming obvious (by recent threads over the last month, and especially the last few weeks) that many members need to consider the things posted in this thread before posting. I can't tell you how much I have hit the "alert" button the last week,lol the staff are probably sick of seeing a new alert by "jkrog08"...lol.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Star and Flag, OP. Thank you for a wonderful post. I think you have proposed an excellent guideline which, if followed, would greatly help to reduce clutter. Each forum has a specific purpose and I think you have well defined them. Job well done!

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by rwiggins

Thank you, I always enjoy kind words and agreement on topics I feel are serious, such as the current run of questionable threads in this forum, which if some simple guidelines were followed, it would not be near like it is now.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Maybe mentioned here and I missed it - there's an ongoing game, presumably with younger members, to play this board like a videogame. See how many points, stars, flags, you can run up.

The actual content is secondary. MY MOM RUNS A BROTHEL FOR ALIENS, EX-NAZIS, MOSSAD AGENTS, PROOF...

You get the attention an numbers pretty quick. A little more restraint making it appear as if you've got something credible can extend it for pages.

Tabloid journalists have been engaged in this kind of stuff for decades.

Here you can whip up something from your computer in a college dorm in minutes, and have people from all over the world scurrying to catch the latest scoop.

It would be good if there were a filtration mechanism in place, but it's tough to police.

Actual interest in the UFO phenomenon recedes on a yearly basis.

Grown men with families and jobs drive or fly to conventions, check into hotels, pay admission to listen to a guy in a suit talk about his last meeting with the aliens and what messages they have to convey.

With no substantiation of alien visitations despite tens of thousands actively searching for over half a century, fiction fills the entertainment and sense of wonder requirement to satisfy an undiscriminating audience.

The phenomenon is a fascinating one in itself, but only serves the purpose of driving away intelligent discourse on an already marginalized area of investigation.

Mike

[edit on 14-8-2009 by mmiichael]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mmiichael

I agree, there is WAY TOO MUCH CRAP on ATS, in the UFO forum. But what really can we do? As you said, it is hard (well actually near impossible to police and filter) to police. Although I believe the core members quickly spot out and stop these bogus threads in their tracks, the staff is decent at it as well, but they have more than just one forum to look after. There have been A LOT of bs or pointless threads recently and for the most part they have been rightly ignored, some more colorful authors manage to get them to slip past the 'nets' somewhat, but really in the long run the members of this site, and especially the ones who frequent this particular forum know who is real and who is counterfeit in my humble opinion. It is sad to see some of the much more questionable UFO/alien related threads get like 150 flags, when decent and much more legit ones may go unnoticed completely. I only mention flags because that is what gets threads attention, there is nothing else but that to get a article/thread/whatever attention to the wider viewerbase of ATS, but right now I see no way personally of stopping this. It is up to us, the members of this site (well the serious members) to just overpower the influx of crap with an influx of real.

On another note however, maybe if our forums FSMEs wee given the ability to close threads or relocate them to the correct forum that would help out immensely IMO. Never-the-less this is for the staff to decide...

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

I agree, there is WAY TOO MUCH CRAP on ATS, in the UFO forum. But what really can we do? As you said, it is hard (well actually near impossible to police and filter) to police. Although I believe the core members quickly spot out and stop these bogus threads in their tracks, the staff is decent at it as well, but they have more than just one forum to look after. There have been A LOT of bs or pointless threads recently and for the most part they have been rightly ignored, some more colorful authors manage to get them to slip past the 'nets' somewhat, but really in the long run the members of this site, and especially the ones who frequent this particular forum know who is real and who is counterfeit in my humble opinion. It is sad to see some of the much more questionable UFO/alien related threads get like 150 flags, when decent and much more legit ones may go unnoticed completely.

It's natural and easy to bitch and moan. This is a freely hosted site and there are many astute thoughtful people contributing, like yourself.

It almost warrants a division for "Kids" and "Adults" with the influx of novices and tourists. I have been alerted to new threads by people onboard with shared interests quite often. These are low level ones without much activity but the focus and level of discourse in good.

Unfortunately UFOs have become popular culture now and they attract the inevitable whack jobs and easily fooled. The new spin on governments suppression of information is also appealing to the parental authority rebellion and paranoid elements who seem to spend a lot of time online.

Buried in the debris of misreportings and manufactured nonsense that has been passing for UFO sightings are some really confounding cases that need even closer examination with our improved understanding of phenomenology, technology, and the human susceptibility to self-deception.

There is something important happening in our environment and interfacing with us. It's not magic or alien intervention as much as yet to be understood science. We have indicators that should help us push the boundaries of our knowledge further. We really should be sharing our insights to this end.

Mike

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Bumping up this thread. Hopefully some newer members will see this. It does seem that we are all starting to cut down the "crap" cases and such on here, so maybe we are on the right track.

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
BUMPING this thread as I feel it is much needed to remind all of us members some proper guidelines and etiquette when posting in the flagship UFO forum. It may help make this forum less chaotic.

[edit on 11/4/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

Houston, we have a problem!

You said: "2. Are You Sure This Is The Right Forum???

Sometimes things we all think may be ‘worthy’ of the UFO forum are in reality NOT. Things that have ZERO evidence to back them up are considered SPECULATIVE and thus belong in the Skunk Works forum."

I hate to break it to you but this is an Aliens and UFOs forum!

Aliens is about the last thing anyone has any irrefutable evidence for. Not even circumstancial evidence. The reality of aliens lies only in hearsay. So, here we are in the Aliens and UFOs forum, you say that some things that may be worthy are really NOT because they have ZERO evidence to back them up and are considered SPECULATIVE.

Well, excuse me! Aliens have ZERO evidence and, so far, are only SPECULATIVE. So I suggest that this forum be renamed to UFOs and another forum be created named ALIENS and let the two be separated until they can be joined. Presently, they cannot be regardless of who says (hearsay!) what. No evidence, hence speculation.

[edit on 4-11-2009 by Skeptical Ed]

posted on Nov, 4 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janitor From Mars
1. The thread is full of skeptics
2. They will tear apart what you have to say
3. You will be accused of being a disinfo agent
4. Your mental health will be attacked
5. If you're unlucky enough, they'll ban you

Some skeptics = Old Empire agents working to keep the truth hidden.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join