It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain's own Guantánamo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Britain's own Guantánamo

www.guardian.co.uk

Piece by piece, the truth is finally coming out about Britain's own Guantánamo Bay – Diego Garcia. Today the human rights lawyers group Reprieve began a legal case on behalf of Saad Iqbal Madni, who they say was transited through the UK-controlled Indian Ocean island as part of the CIA's secret rendition programme.

Madni, whom Reprieve says was tortured in Egypt, Afghanistan, and Guantánamo Bay after his stopover in Diego Garcia, has been released in Pakistan where – according to Clive Stafford Smith, the Reprieve director – he is "effectively crippled by his torture".

For mo
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I didn't know we owned an Island down there.... Maybe I could retire there out of the way.... heard there's a US military base there though.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-7-2009 by john124]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Diego Garcia is a US base, not British.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ROBL240
Diego Garcia is a US base, not British.

lol

'the United Kingdom owns the island', the US has a base on the UK owned island, 'The British and United States Government agreements allowed the US access to part of the island to construct a communication station and subsequently a Naval Support Facility. The British do not charge the US any rent.' www.globalsecurity.org...

Anyway, doesn't surprise me, always thought the UK agencies were complicit in all the torture/rendition stuff.....'For more than six years following the declaration of a war on terror in 2001, British and US officials adamantly rejected the existence of a rendition facility or secret CIA prison on the island, the site of a major British-American military base since the 1970s' www.guardian.co.uk...

course they denied it

[edit on 28-7-2009 by slinkey10]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
the only `problem` with wanting to live there is the small minor fact the UK broke a bazillion human rights laws , bulldozing the local population into the sea to build the airbase:

news.bbc.co.uk...

the UK government has lost in court at ecery step and still refuses to comply with international court orders.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Yeah youd want to keep up with current events and just be aware of whats going on with things, its probably legit not propaganda I mean seems trustworthy, now a days you can never tell. Secret CIA prisons I heard they use to do tests on people on acid in the dark , experiments with implants ( the old tale of "2 way radios" ), and sleep deprivation & sensory deprivation.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
This is disgusting. How can Britain just move in and take the land from the inhabitants. Tyranny. And they attack Sadam on the same basis, and O "weapons of mass destructions" [SNIP].

Im really REALLY frustrated that the idiotic sheep-like masses just allow this to happen. Bloody scandelous.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Gemwolf]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Yeah britain threw out about 1,500 people from the island in 1968 so america could build a base...then lied for years about its since it was illegal under international law.I think in 2000 they wont a court battle about it.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Great, so after this guy wins his "human rights" case (paid for by the taxpayer) we'll give him a nice house in Bournemouth and £50,000 a year (paid for by the taxpayer). Then give it a year and he'll pop up in Afghanistan fighting British forces.

It's about time we woke up to the fact that WE ARE AT WAR and stopped giving quarter to our enemies.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   
[edit on 29-7-2009 by Toughiv]

top topics

join