It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Clouds

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
This past Saturday/Sunday about 3:30 a.m in metro Atlanta, Ga. my friend and I were sitting in the back yard talking when all of a sudden these clouds moved in that turned the sky red.
The sky was very red, almost glowing... clouds came and went within the hour. The sky was clear before the clouds moved in, I had just been commenting about how beautiful the stars were.
I was stargazing while talking and watched the clouds move in but didnt notice the red, glowing aura??? of them until 1/2 the sky was covered. I pointed it out to my very practical friend and even she was shocked by the color and glow, it was something neither one of us had ever seen.
I am sure there is a logical explanation so I am asking if anyone has ever experienced red, glowing clouds at night that move in, cover the sky and move out within an hour??? and if so what is the reason?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
At 3am? Never heard of such a thing. Nor have I seen such.

Sounds pretty messed up to me.

Of course there is a logical explanation but what on Earth could it be?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

I've seen the aurora borealis look like red clouds before, although it's been awhile. Seems like there would be more reports of it in that part of the US if that is what it had been though... it's just the first thing that comes to mind. Did it look anything at all like this?

Red aurora borealis

That isn't exactly like what I saw, because there were only red areas of the sky instead of the whole sky being red like it is in the pic. It was similar though.

Edited to add: I'm in Kentucky, so not all that far away from Atlanta. I just add this detail because I figure that if the aurora borealis can look like red clouds here, it could there as well... still not saying for sure that's what it was though.

[edit on 7/28/2009 by gemineye]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Did it look like this ?
This picture is abit brighter than real life , but I had to use a longer shutter speed.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/dc8c92a9c77b.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yep it was freaky. I did a google search but have yet to come up with a real explanation for that time of night and my location.
Hopefully someone will have an answer...

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

No, it was thicker clouds that moved across the sky from North to South, enveloped the sky for a while and then moved on. Red and a slight glow are the only words I can really use to describe but the red was deep.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

No the cloud cover was thicker and the red was deeper and very distinct with a glow or aura?? The sky had been very clear, very dark before the clouds moved in. It was a great night for stargazing, no bright city lights, no clouds and a dark sky for clear stars. It was 3:30 a.m. so the sky was very dark but clear, no sunlight.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

The clouds are deep red, I had to take the picture with a long shutterspeed as it was past midnight.

These cloads came drifting from the s/e and covered allmost the vally bellow here.. Ive seen them several times, all ways late at night..

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
We used to get red overcast skies up north in the winter. It was from the lights reflecting up into the cloud cover. Up there is was off the snow, but I supposed that a large cement parking lot, or even a lake could do the same thing.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Hmmm, very odd then. I'll be watching this thread to see if anybody comes up with an explanation. S&F though... very interesting thread.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
That's funny, I saw something similar last night around 12:30am in the Northeast. It was a very small cloud though. It was the only one I saw. It only lasted about 5 minutes from the time I noticed it, then just faded away. I tried to take a picture but it my cell phone camera wasn't powerful enough.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The first question is, "Why is the sky the color it is?"

The answer is that light refracts at different angles according to the frequency of the light. Blue refracts the most, so it is scattered far and wide by the atmosphere and that is what we see. For all practical observations, the sky itself is transparent, save for a bit of obstruction in the way of pollutants (things not naturally present). CO2, N2, O2, and even small amounts of gaseous H2O are all invisible.

That means that a red glow would have to be either an influx of red-frequency light radiation or a reaction by the materials that make up the air that would produce red-frequency light.

Now, if this was at 3 AM, there is no appreciable solar radiation reaching the atmosphere directly that could explain it. The only way it could be via solar radiation was if it started in the east (toward the side of the earth that was lit) and was caused by some unknown conduit that transported the red-frequency light or other radiation that was exciting atmospheric contaminants toward your location. Did it start in the eastern sky?

Otherwise, the only logical explanation I can fathom would be something causing a phenomena akin to the auroras... specifically a magnetic disturbance in the earth's magnetosphere that allowed charged particles to emit red-frequency light. That could be the effects of a solar phenomena passing over the planet, but such would have had much wider impact and we would all be hearing about strange happenings world-wide, specifically problems with satellite communications.

The only really reasonable explanation is a cloud of some sort of pollutants moving in... but why have we heard nothing on the MSM news about such a massive event?

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Yep, it was like that in the Illinois area as well.

It was around 1am. I never saw anything like it. I'm trying to think what movie it was like...I wanna say Total Recall. It was pretty cool though! Like the night was on fire.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Moved in North to South.

Great, so possible clouds of pollution moved over a wide swath (for as far as I could see) of residences including mine,my friend and I were just sitting right underneath with no protection.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
To be honest it sounds like it could have possibly been Nacreous clouds.

Nacreous clouds far outshine and have much more vivid colours than ordinary iridescent clouds

Nacreous Clouds Source

Or even Noctilucent Clouds, NLCs

Noctilucent Clouds Source

[edit on 28-7-2009 by QBSneak000]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

No, not like those.
These clouds were more like thick red storm clouds that moved in and out without a storm.
They were thick, moved fast and were deep red with a slight glow. They moved North to South.
It was around 3:30 A.M EST
The location is about 30 minutes NW of Atlanta, Ga.
This is a very residential area, suburbs to be exact, so no big city lights or large areas of concrete.
There is a lake about 20 miles NW of my area but no big bodies of water other than swimming pools right around me.
The night sky was clear and great for stargazing before clouds moved in.
Clouds overtook entire sky but was completely gone within 45 minutes to an hour and the sky was clear again
My friend had come into town and we had been sitting in my lounge chairs in my backyard all night catching up, as we talked I was constantly looking at the sky and stars commenting on how clear it was. When I noticed how red and glowing the clouds were they were covering 1/2 the sky, I showed my friend and she was shocked and amazed. She is VERY practical so for her reaction I knew i wasnt making a big deal out of nothing (sometimes I do that
and that she saw the distinct color and glow just as I did.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by OneNationUnder

Interesting, wonder if there were any similar weather conditions in Ill and Ga over the weekend?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by QBSneak000

Nacreous clouds:

They are seen mostly during winter at high latitudes like Scandinavia, Iceland, Alaska and Northern Canada. Sometimes, however, they occur as far south as England.

Atlanta is way farther south than England, and this is the middle of summer.

Noctilucent Clouds

They are colourless or bluish-white.

Wrong color.

I don't think either of these is the answer, although it is possible noctilucent clouds with impurities could be the culprit. Of course, they are also not shaped like a storm cloud either (I am assuming the OP is referring to cumulo-nimbus, the kind we usually associate with a storm down here). And they happen within 1.5 hours or so before sunrise; this would have been more like 2-2.5 hours before (even more in IL).

I'm still at somewhat of a loss to explain it. I wasn't up that late, so I didn't see anything myself; this just intrigues me and I'd like to know what it was. Apparently it occurred in IL about 1 AM Central, and an hour later (3 AM Eastern) in GA. There's a lot of real estate between those states, so I wonder if there will be any word of it happening in TN, KY, or AL?

Moved in North to South.

Great, so possible clouds of pollution moved over a wide swath (for as far as I could see) of residences including mine,my friend and I were just sitting right underneath with no protection.

I wouldn't get overly excited just yet. It could have been something else. At this point I am more or less thinking out loud.

I do keep coming back to the pollutant solution though, especially when you mention they seemed to have a glow of their own. Magnetic interaction with charged particles of several different chemicals could produce a red light; the trick if that is so would be figuring out which of that long list would be an apt culprit.

North-south means it probably isn't associated with solar irradiation in the upper atmosphere.

Hmmm.....

TheRedneck

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I agree, but I was chatting with one of our weather guys about this (described the clouds) and he has seen these Nacreous clouds a few times in mid to late summer on occasion. Although vary rare, it can happen this far south.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I saw them too! Atlanta as well, but at a different time.

It was Monday night, almost nine o'clock. The sky was mostly dark due to the time and because a storm had rolled in. The storm clouds had dark red bottoms and the rest of the sky was dark blue, gray or black. We also saw green lighting. We tried to get pictures but it really shows nothing.

My husband is hard to impress as he's a hard-line skeptic on just about every topic but he was definitely curious about this event. We had never seen anything even close to it before.

reply to post by ChemBreather

I've seen that type of cloud and sky coloring more this year than ever before, it's fairly typical lately, but that is nothing like what we saw on Monday night.

[edit on 29/7/2009 by kosmicjack]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join