It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is Free Speech so important?...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I just received this in an email, many of you might of seen this before, but I thought it might be worth posting here for those who haven't.

Why speak up about things that don't seem to affect you? Perhaps Pastor Martin Neimoller's view in one version of his quote will answer that question. He supported the Nazis until he realized, too late, what they were really about and was sent to Dachau concentration camp. He was one of the fortunate to be freed and live until 1984.

First they came for the Communists, and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Social Democrats, and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't a Social Democrat. Then they came for the Trade Unionists, and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't a Trade Unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up, because I wasn't a Jew, Then they came for me, and by that time there was no one left to speak up for me.

[edit on 28-7-2009 by deadoralive]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Kind of cliche, I suppose, but...

The most important speech to protect is the speech of those you don't agree with. A lot of people seem to forget that very often. They cry about their freedom of speech being restricted while they complain about the need to restrict the speech of people they don't agree with.

I hear awful things all the time from people I don't agree with. Mostly on talk radio. These people spew hate all day. Some have even suggested the killing of those with different views than they. I think it's terrible but I can't do anything about it and I won't. They can say whatever the hell they want to and it's my choice how I let it effect me. I can give them the power over me or I can refuse to let them have that power. I struggle between both.

But THE SECOND I start calling for restrictions on their free speech then I open the door wide open for MY speech to also be restricted and have made myself a hypocrite.

If you value your free speech, then you HAVE to protect the speech of your enemies also.

As for not speaking up about things that don't effect you? Just like the quote in your OP, if you keep NOT speaking up about things that don't effect you, eventually it will. It's inevitable.

Aside from that, I'm really having A LOT of trouble as of late trying to figure out the mentality of "I only have to worry about me, and I only have myself to blame for my troubles. So don't bother me with your problems."

I honestly believe that this mentality is going to be the downfall of our society as a whole. I won't go any deeper into this since it would be off topic.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Yep you hit the full nail right on the head, and that's how I wish everyone thought, to be honest.

It's like the whole anti-smoking deal. I knew,as soon as I saw it happening, that starting the bans on smoking in different places, would lead to further bans, and further, etc. That would open the door for OTHER bans to take place on things that people claim are "unhealthy". Was not too long after I said that, that they started the bans on trans-fat in new york. And so on.

Same with taxing on smoking... Anti-smokers were overjoyed at it. "It's bad for you, you should not do it, so therefore, you pay this sin tax! nyah!"

Guess what? Now that they have that, they're working on taxing snack foods and sodas, because... "they're bad for you! So you pay this sin tax! nyah!"

Once you infringe even ONE right of another party that you do not agree with, you open the door for EVERY SINGLE RIGHT to be infringed, including every single one of YOURS.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Give it 50 years and it will be a crime to speak at all unless you have authorised permission.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
"No taxation without representation".

One of the first major issues that led to the American Revolution. British colonists had no say, nor anyone to speak for them when it came to their having taxes levied upon them. It makes sense then that the first 10 amendments to the constitution are known as the bill of rights, and the very first amendment includes the right to freedom of speech.

In other words, you can have your say. Whether or not anyone cares what you say is another matter all together.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by deadoralive

Yeah I remember reading that a while ago.

A very good quote and it's a very sobbering thought isn't it?

Freedom of speech is the most important right you all have. It's you're right to decent, and make yourselves heard.

You may not always agree with what somebody says, but if you want freedom of speech for yourself, then you have to defend his right to it as well.

~Keeper

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Free speech is free will. More and more people are becoming complacent with just going with the flow.

Many of us on ATS know that this is all just leading up to what the universe does best on Earth. Time for the reset button. At some point in the near future people will need to be reminded in the free world that freedom comes at a cost. YinYang, evil and good abound!

top topics

join