It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big cats confirmed in UK?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Big cats confirmed in UK?

news.bbc.co.uk

An off-duty Ministry of Defence police dog handler has taken a video of what he claims is a panther-sized big cat.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Pretty interesting article and video clip showing what looks like a big cat roaming free on a Scottish railway line.

Big cats have not been native to the UK for thousands of years but recently there has been a surge in sightings.

Sorry to any non-uk folk reading this as I guess this won't be very interesting to them

CHL

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Yeah there's not much to argue, here.. that thing is definitely a big cat. The way it was walking looked very menacing- I would most likely run as fast as possible if I ever encountered it.

On the flip side though, it is an extremely nice looking animal, and it does seem a little under grown (juvenile?)- I wonder if it could've been a released exotic pet? Maybe it was getting too big for it's former home..

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I was just reading todays Sun paper and there is a small piece on a big cat down in Cornwall. And in the middle of the paper they have a spread on Britains killer animals and amongst various killers such as cows and chipmunks they include big cats. It certainly does seem like the media are running with it.

There is a small blurb on the cornwall one in the corner of the big article
The Sun

[edit on 28-7-2009 by pazcat]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by coolhandluke
Big cats have not been native to the UK for thousands of years but recently there has been a surge in sightings.

Yeah, so you have to wonder just where the hell are they coming from ? lol

I've always been fascinated by the Beasts of Bodmin and Exmoor, probably the same sort of animal as this one in Scotland!

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
while that is a seriously cool video, and completely proof positive for me anyways (who could argue against it? seriously)

it is just a little sphincter tightening to think there are big cats prowling the shores of the lochs I fish

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
im glad finaly, after many years theirs a decent video shot of a panther in scotland. for many many years their have been panther sightings reported in scotland but never any proof...now its their ! excellent and scary!

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
To me it didn't really look that big although it's quite hard to judge the scale.

Given it's definitely a large cat, but I used to have a cat (RIP Hendrix) that was very big, you'd need to use both hands to pick him up and he wasn't overweight, just very large and stocky! I used to call him my lil panther! I miss him!

[edit on 28-7-2009 by Jimbowsk]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
that's a large housecat.

Either that, or the railroads in UK are huge.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:11 PM
link   
These animals definitely exist in Britain.A large cat was run over in Ludlow Shropshire in 1989. Many were supposedly released when The Dangerous Wild Animals Act of 1976 was passed.A man was attacked in a graveyard close to where i live.He had the scars to prove it.There are reports of people seeing whole families of these cats.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Wow.. Someone finally caught one on camera.

I saw one of these back in 2002 whilts walking in the Powys area of wales. Shame I didn't have my cameara with me at the time... oh well.

Nice find. S&F

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
While there may or not be large cats roaming the countryside in the UK, this is obviously not one of them. Using the width of the railroad tracks ( 48.5" ) for scale it can readily be seen that it is more in keeping with the proportions of a housecat.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I think I saw an episode of a show here in the states called Monster Quest about big cats over there. Finally maybe something they made an episode about is true and theres proof (besides the stuff about big fish and piranhas and stuff like that).

Pretty interesting!

Peace

[edit on 28-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
There is certainly a big cat roaming around this part of Wales...

She's asleep on the sofa next to me now as I type.. 22 pound of Maine Coon.

Sorry....

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
The one I saw was probably this one, just outside a small village called Rhayader, probably about 20 miles from were this was reported.

LINK

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
I was just reading todays Sun paper and there is a small piece on a big cat down in Cornwall. And in the middle of the paper they have a spread on Britains killer animals and amongst various killers such as cows and chipmunks they include big cats. It certainly does seem like the media are running with it.

There is a small blurb on the cornwall one in the corner of the big article
The Sun

[edit on 28-7-2009 by pazcat]

AHAHAH... did you just write "amongst various killers such as cows and chipmunks"

HAhahahahahaha that honestly made my week. Cows and chipmunks are listed as killers. Where I live, we got bears and mountain lions, you... cows and chipmunks... HAHAHA I can't stop laughing...

Either you guys are way to scared of life, or your media is making way too big of a deal of "listed killers".

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jimbowsk

The Gauges Act established 4 ft 8+1⁄2 in as the distance between rails for the Standard Gauge. In one segment the cat is close to the rails and it is possible to estimate its size.

It may be an escaped or released animal that was a pet or circus attraction. Load the double 4 bore and have the gun bearers nearby.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Yeah we killed all our bears and wolves 1000s of years ago. I'm pretty sure that article was written with more than a touch of good old British irony!

But yes, we have no killer animals. 1 species of mildly venemous snake. It's one of the reasons i'm happy to walk through the countryside on my own, in the dark. I like it that way.

10 people a year here are killed by cows!

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by CRB86
reply to post by king9072

Yeah we killed all our bears and wolves 1000s of years ago. I'm pretty sure that article was written with more than a touch of good old British irony!

But yes, we have no killer animals. 1 species of mildly venemous snake. It's one of the reasons i'm happy to walk through the countryside on my own, in the dark. I like it that way.

10 people a year here are killed by cows!

Dont get me wrong we got all the critters too, and cows. I dunno if we even lose 10 people a year to bears though. I bet combined mountain lions and bears, and Sasquatch kill less than 10 people

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by nasdack24k
that's a large housecat.

Either that, or the railroads in UK are huge.

What?? Dude look!
That's not a house cat (and who the hell stared that?
)

I know this is crude but if those tracks a 4' 8 1/2" wide (4 foot 8.5 inches) Then that cat is easily considerably longer, 5 and a half feet at least - probably longer if the tail is straight and the spine is fully stretched like cats can do.

I don't think that one is an adult yet, and maybe it's had to live on less food than it really should, but that is a large cat - thats no house cat

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join