It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Had the Last Original Thought?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I think the guy who created Barney the Dinosaur had an original thought and that he probably works for the Obama administration now -Cartoon Character Czar.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
reply to post by fatdad

AW, I wanted to see what videos you posted. Your idea sounds interesting and my kid would love it. All he ever talks about is cars.

the videos where of slot cars drag racing at over 900 mph and drag racing cars always turning and crashing into the side walls...they where on youtube

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

I get what I would call original thought all the time.

Here are some of my older ones when it comes to inventions.

Pay as you go fuel top up cards that allow you to buy petrol at capped prices.
(More to that one obviously and no its not a credit card)

In ear wireless headphones, dont know if someones done that one yet but I thought of that a long time ago.

I do have an idea for energy but the technology doesnt exist yet.

My favourite though was a submarine with electric windows but all the test subjects died during testing im afraid.

I think you might be underestimating people in general, there are lots of intelligently minded people its just our education system that makes people have this fascination with copycat quoting. Bugs the heck out of me sometimes.

Call me cruel here but the only way you could ever find out if there is such a thing as collective thought is to take a kid from shortly after birth and put them in a room alone with nothing a drip with essential foods etc. Once they reach adulthood, see what they have come up with.
I dont really see that working though to be honest and its pretty sadistic.

Wonder if thats an original thought

[edit on 30-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
The last original though happened some time in the month known as July in the year 2009 according the the Gregorian calendar. It was done by myself and went something like this:

"Life is like shredding cheese. There comes a point when all you are doing is pushing cheese through holes."
-Ian Gillis

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by polit

i think life is just a big toilet bowl and we are all just turds bobbing about waiting to get flushed into the afterlife...

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Well since you all are so free with your original thoughts I will tell you one I've had for a while now.

Secretarial tool belts. Yep, a tool belt with pockets and loops to carry the stapler, pen, paperclips, staple puller!, extra paper, notepad, battery pack, coffee pot...

What do you think? Original right?

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Either Descartes (Cogito, ergo sum), Yogi Berra (If the world was perfect, it wouldn't be), or Ronald Reagan (Government isn't the answer, it's the problem).

Take your pick. They're all equally profound.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
gamer mouse for your first person shooter games with rumble feed back when you get shot \hurt or firing...

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
A solar powered torch often crosses my mind, but this is one I often think about.... Why did Kamikaze pilots wear seat belts?.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
why do all tv screens have to be square or rectangle shaped?

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
should ebay start a swap item category where people can just swap\exchange items for an item with out any money being exchanged .. both parties pay for there own postal costs..
im thinking it would catch on with people who have items that aren't worth any money and so don't bother trying to sell them....

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Your opening sentences imply - but maybe I read them wrong - that you/people in general somehow have an overview over the state of thought worldwide.

You/we don't.

There are a few things to consider; I'll only name two:

1.) The world is full of people having "original" ideas (original both to them and in their wider context). Not all of them - maybe not even the majority - have access to the internet OR even the desire to trumpet their ideas around; some may also be too shy to do so. (Not everybody is subject to the "publish or perish" school of economics.)

The world is full of what is usually (and annoyingly) called geniuses, truly brilliant minds and personalities... and the great majority of them will never be known to the world at large. Much more tragically, very many of them will not have had even the opportunity to exercise their potential.

2.) In my opinion, NO idea is truly "original", because - again, in my opinion - they are all being gleaned from the immeasurable common field of imagery and experience. There is only one "Thought", if you will, from which everything derives.
(Mozart, for example - and he wasn't the only one, I am sure - believed that he never created any music: according to him, he simply wrote down what was already "there".)

[edit on 22-8-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Hmm, I'm going to say that because we are all such a unique bunch of matter, every thought we have is original. Nobody else will have thought of that thought in EXACTLY the same manner, from EXACTLY the same inspiration with EXACTLY the same parameters and vision. There will always be a personal dent in every one of your thoughts that makes them yours.

On the other hand, instead of asking "who had the last original thought?" maybe it would be clearer to ask "Will there ever be another Copernicus, Galileo, Da Vinci, Einstein (or Howard Roark)?".

[edit on 22/8/09 by Yossarian]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
How about the man who created the wheel? However, another caveman could also have thought of that before but was too lazy to make it. I guess whoever the first philosopher was.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
i also wondered if they could attach a thin wire to the space shuttle on takeoff and let it pull it the whole way into orbit..
once there they could calculate if a tither could be strong enough to lift stuff into orbit..

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Loops the loops on formual one racing?

Knee cameras?

Instead of drums that you have to hit with sticks, you can (with a bit of luck) have a programmable set-up were the drums themselves move up and down hitting the static sticks (and can revolved). This can then be pre-programmed , eliminating the need of an extra member of a rock band.

Inward whistling?

Instead of flying half way round the world in a plane, you are simply fired upwards into the stratosphere, where you wait for the world to naturally revolve - before you plummet safely back to your designated country?

Underwater chess?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Revolving poles for pole dancers? Half the effort.

Newspaper tablet cells - Basically a portable hard drive interface - instead of thousands of tree's being cut down - the newspaper owner basically transmits the daily news to your newspaper tablet cell every morning and updates it whenever something news-worthy occurs.

Automatic cut off points on baths. Once the water reaches a certain level, the water stops flowing. This can also incorporate a standard temperature gauge - telling you if the bath is too hot or not.

All wars will be fought via a BIG global computer game. Each country is designated an army, a budget and weapons. They then fight on a global battle field, making unlikely alliances. Last faction standing wins the war.
This will save billions of pounds on 'real' weapons and will hopefully avoid real injuries and deaths.

Self-washing windows?

The kinetic energy developed from a washing machine will be stored for use in cells. These cells can be activated at a later date to power lesser household items. Saving a fortune on electricity, thus lowering the rate of fuel consumption?

[edit on 27-8-2009 by mr-lizard]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

mr-lizard, you are blowing me away with your ideas. LOL I love the revolving pole and knee cameras idea. How do you do it? What kind of mind thinks up things like that?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   

These thoughts stop me going insane. I swear.

I can see this thread being a vent for me whenever i'm in a crazy mood.

Thankyou

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Well, I for one, am looking forward to your next wave of pre-insanity!

I absolutely love going against the commonly accepted "norms" in society. If I can do something unexpected and bizarre, I will! My daughter (just turned 14) is mortified by me, but laughs her head off at the same time.

If I can go against common custom and behave as my spririt desires, so what if no one gets it except me? I happen to have the ability to make people laugh. And I have no shame!

If I feel like it, I'll run down the street waving my arms wildly and look like a total nutcase. But its fun!

I bought a bike from walmart a couple of weeks ago. Instead of pushing it to the cashier, I rode it through the store. By the time I left, every face I saw had a great big smile on it. Mission accomplished!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join