It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lack of Police funding tied to Troops in US?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
U.S. Aid for Police Falls Short

Link to Source

WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration will dole out $1 billion in aid to help cities and states keep police officers on the beat during the economic downturn -- but most of those who sought the help will be disappointed.

The aid is just a fraction of what police departments across the country had hoped to get. For every $1 to be delivered, another $7 in requests will go unanswered under the grant program, Community Oriented Policing Services, commonly called COPS. Four major U.S. cities are finding this out the hard way: New York, Houston, Seattle and Pittsburgh are among those that will not get money because the Justice Department decided other parts of the country simply needed it more, according to government officials who spoke to The Associated Press.

So, we have some MAJOR cities that are struggling to keep cops on the beat. They've asked for help and will get none.

Then we have this link HERE (on ATS) Discussing the deployment of 3rd Infantry/1st Brigade to US soil.

Are they setting it up to where we have no choice to declare martial law?

1. Mess up the economy
2. Deny help to major cities seeking assistance with police presents
3. 'Deploy' US troops to the homeland
4. Rush to to 'save' everyone from the crime, civil unrest, terrorism that resulted from their own actions?

Am I just turning too paranoid?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
There is zero connection between "domestically deployed troops" and decreased police funding. Funding for firefighters and LEOs across the board has been reduced or eliminated, just like it has for mental health care, homeless programs, recreational programs and every other budgeted item.

Case in point: the Port Orange (FL) fire department built a new fire station that was opened last year, only they recieved no funds to hire staff and could not downsize the other two stations to reassign employees. Result? An empty fire station. It's definitely not a case being overpaid, most firefighters there make $18,000-$25,000 a year and they are understaffed.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
IMHO...don't think your paranoid at all.

The first step in Martial Law...

A) Watch for the riots - domestic insurrection will cause the police to ask for military help (LA riots in 1992)

B) A seige will ensue, causeing destruction of large blocks by the Military.

C) Implementing the REX-84 program - keeping people safe (by rounding up the "ring leaders")

It will all come from the lack of policing in major cities. The plan is comming together nicely

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman
There is zero connection between "domestically deployed troops" and decreased police funding. Funding for firefighters and LEOs across the board has been reduced or eliminated, just like it has for mental health care, homeless programs, recreational programs and every other budgeted item.

You seem pretty certain about that...'Zero' is pretty definitive in my book. I like your willingness to assert that with such conviction.

So...why has the funding decreased for these essential professionals? Why are we not spending the money where we SHOULD be?

How many cops could we keep on the beat by foregoing the purchase of ONE Tomahawk cruise missile?

It's just the law of nature that we can't afford to pay cops, EMS, mental health workers, etc..? It's natural that we will lose these professionals, and then miraculously have thousands of soldiers standing by, ready to do the policing?

Interesting concept.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Those budget cuts have gone on across the board for about the past 10 years, probably longer. American police departments are funded by local municipalities, NOT the feds, excepting certain grants and programs like the Border Patrol mutual response program. State patrols are funded through state agencies. Same for fire departments. If you want to debate this, please name three municipal governments with surplus budgets. I know of none in our state.

This all smells like fear mongering to me.

[edit on 28-7-2009 by secretagent woooman]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
One has to wonder if the departments really need the funding.

Government agencies from top to bottom have the tendency to mismanage their funds. I assume the police are no different. I wonder how many of these police department spent heavily on anti-terrorism gadgets and vehicles that are just sitting around collecting dust.

Furthermore, I keep hearing about how the states keep complaining over the fed meddling in their affairs. Isn't it a state job, not fed, to ensure that the police departments in their jurisdiction are taken care of?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

Lack of Police funding tied to Troops in US?

I wouldn't call it paranoia. More like a healthy case of concern.

The United States presents quite a challenge to anyone with the intent of creating a unified world government.

Americans first of all, have a great constitution that was written specifically with future tyranny in mind. It arms the citizens, secures a free press and guarantees right to trial by a jury of peers. And even though today's main stream media has fallen from its former standing, the people are still armed and we can most often get a fair trial.

The ONLY way to circumvent this is by martial law because it would suspend those rights that keep We the People a force to be reckoned with.

After such a declaration, the only avenue left to us would be civil war... and nobody in this country, in their right mind that is, wants that. Any kind of mass, civil insurrection would lead to an almost immediate collapse of the global economy and help to spin-off actions in other nations.

The problem is... the way I see it anyway, is that those who would chance such calamity in exchange for complete domination, feel that they could survive the ensuing period of chaos in relative comfort... and when it was all over, they would have both a reduced global population and that much coveted control.

The challenge then, is to outlast them and their plans by remaining both vigilant and informed.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
The COPS Program funds officer's salaries for three years, after that the States are responsible for maintaining those salaries/positions. So, I'm a little confused. Are we expecting everything to be better within 3 years?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I know that my municipality gets a lot of grants. They've received grants for everything from computers and radio equipment to additional security at the airport.

I DO understand that the economic situation has affected organizations across the board.

My question, I suppose was whether or not there is some deeper, sinister machine at work here.

Is it all related? I know this a conspiracy site, but so far about 75% of respondents believe there is something deeper involved.

new topics

top topics

join