It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope attacks art vandalising Bible

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
reply to post by noonebutme

Hi/
And so tell me,If someone was to come into your house and trash the place up and BURN and do SIMILAR art work on your FAMILY pictures/photos,How would that make you feel?
Im definitely certain it wont bring a SMILE to the face.

ICXC NIKA
helen

Again, that's a ridiculous comment. The art on the Bible is not the personal belonging of you or one of the members on the forum.

You're taking a personal situation. I'm not. No one is going round your house and doing these things.

Re-read the article please. It mentions nothing about people going round someone's house and 'trashing it'.

If that WERE the case then of course I would disagree about it being art.

Wake up, mate.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Sed Non Credo

This is art out of hatred. Nothing good can come of it other than to expose some 'artists' for what they are... no talent hate mongers. Actually, they are cowardly for using a Christian bible. They won't have the guts to do this with other religious books because they know they would get their behinds kicked by those followers.

[edit on 28-7-2009 by SpacePunk]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk
reply to post by tristar

The so caled expression of art, was opened to abuse frrom the start.

Did she really expect, for people who was viisiting and participating in this expression of Art, would not write offensive messages all over that bible/

She knew exacty what would happen. Maybe lack of pure judgement or someone who wanted to deliberatley offend her own religion.

Indeed, it amazes me how people could actually give out such interviews and not a single reporter asking the exact same thing you have posted here.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I must say some people are really lost souls.
5 disturbing pages in less than 3-4hrs.

For what? Writings on a sci-fi book with bedtime stories making fables seem more plausible.
5 pages!

It truly shows alot about how we are still in medieval ages
Threads about murder, war, illegal invasions, corrupt govt. or legalized counterfeiting gets less attention than this.

How much does that say about us? People are still living in medieval times i swear.

And if you read posts here, you see the rantings of lunatics.

People making insane analogies like comparing writings on a purchased book to breaking and entering and vandalizing homes?
Then they turn around and call muslims extremists?

No no, both of you are in the same pool of extremism!

Just reading posts here really supports the noble act of defacing the bible.
And I did not have this opinion about it being noble BEFORE reading this entire thread!

But people need to WAKE UP!

I say we should make this a movement, state by state.
Wake people up from their righteous slumber.

dear god

[edit on 28-7-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I agree.

While I "personally" don't see much artistic value in what the artist was trying to achieve, I still don't see why some people are getting their feathers ruffled. It's a book. Nothing more, nothing less. It's just a book. And if they don't like it, don't support it. Don't go to the gallery, don't support any of the artist's future endeavours if they feel the need to be so bold.

And the comparisons some people are making to personal attacks, violence and murder/rape...?!

It certainly doesn't help the view that some people of a religious nature are a bit too sensitive and fanatical about it.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   

You're taking a personal situation. I'm not. No one is going round your house and doing these things.

Re-read the article please. It mentions nothing about people going round someone's house and 'trashing it'.

If that WERE the case then of course I would disagree about it being art.

Wake up, mate.

Hi/
I disagree.
It is 'Personal' because it is the Word of God....He is called the Father of all..it's personal on that level!
As for people going around trashing peoples houses?
This does happen,and although it doesn't relate to the article,my point is we(as a whole) feel a sort of connection and sympathize with others griefs as it is the right thing for another human being to do.
The ART work in BAD taste was put on EXHIBITION, that makes it a Public display and within every right for an outcry to occur!
But again,some people are strict(strong hold) on emotions and let NOT their conscience be their guide.

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
And if you read posts here, you see the rantings of lunatics.

Well, thank you for that.

So many artists throughout the ages have been tagged with the same. I sincerely hope I'm included in the above.

The topic here is art and its manifestation in society. That those who involved themselves in that 'interactive art installation' negatively is the source of the consternation from the community of Christians (pope and all) is no surprise to me and certainly shouldn't be to anyone else, even lunatic atheists.

It's been likened to a 'home invasion' (of sorts) and I agree with that sentiment. For many, worldwide, desecration of the biblical texts would be 'where they live'. Is there nothing to be held sacred? Nothing at all? And if there was, in your estimation, something YOU hold sacred (not saying there is), would you care about it being vandalized?

One thing for sure... art has always shaped society. This, however, doesn't shape anything, it destroys it, imho

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
It's not "just a book". Let's not go into the deep religious aspects of what the Bible is to Christians... The bottom line is - to most Christians it's not "just a book". It symbolises the "Word of God" and what they believe in. And they have every right to voice their opinions about it. What do you expect Christians do about it?

"Oh, someone wrote obscenities in the book that brings the message to all. Oh well. Whatever."
**Shrug**

The fact that the thread already reached 5 pages should tell you that this is an important issue for Christians - just as important as rape or murder.
For Atheists (and others) the Bible will be "just a book" and they would fail to see what the big fuss is all about. That's understandable. But Christians will voice their opinions about it because something that is very dear to them and their faith was damaged.

Let them voice their dismay. Let them state for the record that it isn’t art.

I don’t see how someone’s faith – and what they hold as dear – can be debated?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

I must say some people are really lost souls.
5 disturbing pages in less than 3-4hrs.

For what? Writings on a sci-fi book with bedtime stories making fables seem more plausible.
5 pages!

Very interesting to see this written, since millions have fought and died on your so called "sci-fi book".

In any case, its offensive and it obviously offends me on every level seeing this blatant use of "art" as a disguise to achieve fame and fortune. Perhaps i too should use pay pal and send 1 cent or penny to everyone who shares my views.

Better yet, lets see if we place this on prime time television in the U.S. and conduct a poll, lets see how many feathers we can ruffle, but this time we include all forms of religion.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

I would say it should be left up to the public, where this art exhibition was shown, weither or not it is offsensive.

I would rather commonsense prevailed over this, rather than having someone from a Church which is ful of scandal, criticisng anyone over Blasphamy or offensive acts.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by helen670
I disagree.
It is 'Personal' because it is the Word of God....He is called the Father of all..it's personal on that level!

A burger without cheese is heresy

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
If the gallery owner hadn't a clue how this would turn out, then she is an absolute idiot.

Putting a Bible in a public space and telling people to write in it is practically begging for trouble. Regardless, this goes to show that the general public has become filled with those who are classless, immature, and lack the respect to restrain from trashing something so sacred to others.

The kind of filth I imagine people have written is stuff that shouldn't be written about anybody in any context, let alone in a book that forms the foundation for the lives of millions of people.

To those who don't get it: This would be like seeing a picture of a hero in your life, someone who you've tried to model yourself and your endeavours after, getting written all over with disgusting, lewd, and repulsive things that absolutely shred the dignity of whoever the person in the picture is.

There is every reason for Christians to be upset about this, especially when the idiot that came up with it is a fellow Christian. It's pointless controversy (like there isn't enough to go around), a disturbing indication of the status of the general public, and a general insult to millions.

If you think Christians such as myself are backwards, I hope you change. Nevertheless, people who subscribe to any belief system should see why this is wrong. If you aren't disturbed as a religious person to see beliefs get so horribly disrespected, then be disturbed as a human being that so many find it entertaining to put inappropriate garbage in something many others hold sacred.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

if this happened to the Koran there would be mass hysteria?

Really?

Remember a u.s. soldier using the koran as target practice?

Don't remember hearing much of a brouhaha

thanks

Let me refresh you memory.

www.cnn.com...

www.boston.com...

www.foxnews.com...

www.thefreelibrary.com...'s+Quran+shooting-a01611551790

Regardless if you are an atheist or not it this is about basic respect.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
All christians should have been preparing a long time ago to defend their religion. The religion of Islam is corrupt to me...i have never liked the religion of the Muslims and i never will.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by JalZhaunlUss

So are you stating that christianity is not corupt?

That is a misleading statement is it not.

Look at the history of religion, they all have a history of being as extreme, or as violent as each other.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme
I said in my post above (or implied anywaze) that while no one was being hurt, abused, molested or assaulted in any way, what's the problem? And depictions of rape & murder come under the 'abuse/assault" catagory.

And if it was consentual abuse ? Or was intended to be perceived as rape but both parties were consenting knowing full well it would look like rape to everyone else ? Is that type of art ok with you ? Despite the message it sends ?

Originally posted by noonebutme
Again, so what if someone desecrates a Bible? Or the Koran? Or any other 'special needs' literature.

So what ? The core fundamentals of Christianity is built upon the words of that book, that book is the backbone of their religion, without their religion would be worthless, the same with all other religious scriptures.

Defacing it the way that has been in Glasgow is a lack of respect for the Christian faith & their beliefs, now whilst I don't agree with their beliefs I do respect their right to have those beliefs and would never disrespect them in a such a hateful manner.

Originally posted by Gemwolf
For Atheists (and others) the Bible will be "just a book" and they would fail to see what the big fuss is all about.

umm don't lump all of us who aren't Christian into this assumption, some of us do actually realise it's not just a book and have a respect for others belief systems even though we don't neccesarily agree with them or like them

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

Meh, there's no way to argue this with people who believe this silly BuyBull is actually the "Words of God" as the mod so wrongfully put it.

It's a collection of historical accounts that have, over time, been exaggerated and misinterpreted.

And now any form of 'strong' criticism to this collection of fabrications means it's 'disrespectful'.

Well, then I'm disrespectful to it. I think it's a load of nonsense and I'd happily right, "bollocks" in black marker over every page. If I wanted to waste money buying a copy. Or if I could be asked. But i really don't care. The entire fiasco of people being 'offended' makes me laugh.

It's just a book... it's just a book.. repeat ad nauseum.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

I know it's just a book, a very elaborate fairy tale of morals and a magician called Jesus.

However to Christians it is sacred and everything their beliefs are built upon.

They have a different view to us about this book and that is, it isn't just some book, it's sacred.

And I respect their beliefs enough (despite disagreeing strongly against those beliefs) to understand that defacing their sacred book is nothing short of punching them in the face and then rubbing it in the dirt. Defacing the bible goes far beyond criticism and disagreement of their views, it's a callous attempt at making a mockery of what they stand for which in my view is disrespectful and serves no good in the quest for tolerance.

[edit on 28/7/09 by Discotech]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Its also an adolescence vs. maturity thing.

When I was young I would have had no problem desecrating books I deemed to be the cause of war and stupidity.

Today, in my 30s, the value of respect and reverence to other peoples beliefs is totally apparent and I could not imagine anything desecrating anything.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
He's free to winge about this.. providing he remembers that alot of european churches are built on previously pagen holy sites and the vatican vaults are no doubt filled with artifacts from near extinct belief systems his church actively tried to destroy.

[edit on 28-7-2009 by riley]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join