It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope attacks art vandalising Bible

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Read again, I stated I fully appreciate how it could be viewed as offensive. But to deny it is expression is to deny the definition of expression.

Edit: In actual fact I'd find getting upset by the burning of a flag stupid, the flag is merely a representation of a boundary. The ties to that flag imposed by a previous non acceptance of other cultures to unite as one.

I would laugh in the face of anyone burning the Union Jack, it is after all just material. I would laugh at how they feel it would harm me in any way, not as if they by burning the materialistic item are destroying my knowledge of my nations great history.

I've got far more to be concerned about than an idiots attempt to produce a reaction, especially over a piece of cloth. If I saw the burning of my flag, I'd be busy preparing to deal with the hate represented and merely take it as a warning or an eye opener of the hate and ready preparedness.

Words to me are worse than destruction of our materialistic nature imposed upon us by the MSM. Burning the Union jack is not the same to myself as offending my fathers and mothers of generations gone by. But each for there own like.

[edit on 28/7/09 by Sed Non Credo]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
I remember the outrage when some snipers used the Koran as target practice. Everybody was up in arms about it and those soldiers were punished.

Its a sad double standard. I guess they should have said that they were making art.

Does anyone remember Salman Rushdie..?

Does anyone remember this

Keep in mind that i am not targeting Muslims or any religion, i am simply stating that when the domino's are stacked and the momentum is put into place there is no way in knowing how far this can go.

Oh and for all those killed during the uproar regarding the Denmark Cartoons and Muslim faith, here are the cartoons that sparked everything off.

www.outsidethebeltway.com...

[edit on 28-7-2009 by tristar]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
i am simply stating that when the domino's are stacked and the momentum is put into place there is no way in knowing how far this can go.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7d2b89b780d5.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sed Non Credo
reply to post by Gemwolf

Read again, I stated I fully appreciate how it could be viewed as offensive. But to deny it is expression is to deny the definition of expression.

How do you think it would go over if I made a gallow, hung a black dummy from it and called it art?

Do you think more people would share your view or would I be labeled a racist?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Sed Non Credo

True... it is expression and therefore, i guess to some, it is art. Doesn’t make it right though does it?

After all... i could drag a politician down to the Tate modern and beat the **** out of him in front of people as an expression of my anger towards the political system in this country. That could be viewed as expressionist art... But it’s not nice or right!

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   

reply to post by Gemwolf

How do you think it would go over if I made a gallow, hung a black dummy from it and called it art?

I think you would be fined and jailed and in about 12 hours found dead in your cell.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

It is what it is.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

It is not the same, you have created a fictional theoretical event that in now way relates to this issue.

Edit: I was supposed to type "in no way relates."

link   

reply to post by Gemwolf

I think you would be fined and jailed and in about 12 hours found dead in your cell.

Probably so.....an artist just cant catch a break can he?

link   

Originally posted by Discotech
reply to post by tristar

That's so #ed up.

Wtf has defacing the bible got to do with being gay, lesbian, trans or bisexual and having faith ? If they're getting opinions from multiple religions/cultures why is it only the bible being defaced ?

Also it's complete #ing BS to be a christian/muslim/jew/etc and be gay.

I hate intolerance but I also hypocrisy and being a gay christian is hypocrisy and also stupidity at its finest. How can one exactly believe in a book which condemns your own sexuality ?

This isn't art, or making a statement it's a childish attempt for hypocrits to lash out at those who rightfully condemn according to their beliefs.

Nnot many people are aware of the intricate system of deception. It is why i placed that particular link.

link   
This is childish. It's just a bunch of people getting their titters out of vandalizing a bible. It's not art. Monet is probably rolling in his grave.

Pope Benedict XVI believes the stunt would not have been contemplated with a copy of the Koran.

He's right.

Originally posted by Killeonidas
Um, ....And if people want to kill people over defacing a book,

Um, ... the pope never said he wanted to kill anyone over this.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Doesn't make it right at all mate, totally tasteless and small minded.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   

reply to post by jd140

It is not the same, you have created a fictional theoretical event that in now way relates to this issue.

Sure it relates to the issue. Both is offensive and both is art. I am asking you what is the differance. Would your stance be the same?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   

reply to post by jd140

You should perhaps read his previous post regarding the soldier who was shooting at the Koran and all the mayhem it created.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

And then what?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

My stance has already been stated, I offered a viewpoint. Look back to my response to a previous poster that questioned I feel it is correct.

Edit: and come on, the differences are it is an entirely bloody different event and set of circumstances. One is proclaimed as being art, the second you pose is pure hate being portrayed.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   

reply to post by tristar

And then what?

yes, indeed, intended to quote another post, my apologies, wrong post quote

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

I bought a used college book once, believe it or not, but in the freud section of the psychology book, there was a penis drawn on it.

Did I get upset.... not really, Did I kill and commit genocide...no.... Did I report it to the book owner...yes, hey a yes way to go.

If it had been done with the quran, someone would be burning right now inside of a tire. If you disagree, research how pissed they got at a drawing, which made massive publicity because of their anger of it!

This is the common "My god is a little god, and he will stay a little god" type of thinking.

My God, yahweh for example, does not need a book defaced, that he made! This angers me, it should anger you! It should anger everyone, let's preach anger now! and yoda cues himself in there.

Everything is subject. I doubt a OMNIPOTENT, OMNISCIENT Being, would be showered in anger because of this, and the pope has outlived his life, and would be well to pass on like the rest of his age groups.

i feel were on the verge of something very big, unless the government steps in to close this so called exhibition

Unless daddy, comes and tells us what we can and cannot do? Will we know what is right?

How upset a hindu would be of that, or a muslim would be by that statement, that you call upon the government to protect the holy (unholy) bible.

People are wising up, and get to voice their OPINIONS over the forced atrocities and condemnations of a people from thousands of years ago!

The general public will not take the atrocities expressed in the bible, and holding steadfast to them, hoping the gov't steps in, is absurd.

The bible is so screwed up left and right, and holds onto nothing but imaginary, misfiring, and schizophrenical tendencies in humans, that it is no more what it may of been, quite simply aesops fable.

Deface it, draw penis' on it, and attack it, if there is a god, he will show his face, and quite hiding behind blankets and shadows, and shadows within shadows, and backstepping everything, and changing his opinions, in his bipolar ways, then he'll step up, if not, abandon the faith.

I'm sure a few humans, wouldn't upset someone who made nebulas, failing galaxies, black holes, existing solar systems, giant universes, atoms, ants, bugs, sub atomic particles! Of course, some believe they'll burn in hell for eternity, which makes this god an unjust god. Which sotomayour could do a better job then him!

Rant over. Will reply to express certain viewpoints better. Since, you have the priveldge to object to me, without outrage of nations, and one almighty being (pope) detesting me. Be happy.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   

reply to post by tristar

And then what?

yes, indeed, intended to quote another post, my apologies, wrong post quote

heh, I see, sorry mate.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   

reply to post by jd140

My stance has already been stated, I offered a viewpoint. Look back to my response to a previous poster that questioned I feel it is correct.

Edit: and come on, the differences are it is an entirely bloody different event and set of circumstances. One is proclaimed as being art, the second you pose is pure hate being portrayed.

And it is pure hate being portrayed to those who believe in the Bible.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join