It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anthropocene: We are the force of nature

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Nature is already intertwined with man and today even though nature controls us, it will be us that will have a profound impact on the nature. We have become a geological force and we have global impact on the environment. The new phase that we are entering into will affect our future generations and therefore nature and humanity have to function together to ensure the growth of mankind

We live in epoch-making times. I mean this literally, rather than as a tool to dramatise the global economic crisis or latest political scandal. An epoch describes a geological time period. The end of the last glaciation, some 11,000 years ago, saw the transition from the cool Pleistocene to the warmer Holocene. This relatively stable epoch saw humans turn to agriculture and our population rise considerably. Now geologists, ecologists and climate scientists, myself included, are reporting we have entered a new and much less stable geological epoch: the Anthropocene.

Just as changes to the Earth's orbit, volcanic eruptions and asteroid impacts in the distant past have set the world on radically new courses, humanity itself has now become a collective force of nature, with far-reaching consequences. But what does this startling discovery – that humanity has become a globally significant geophysical force – mean for society, solving environmental problems, and perhaps more profoundly, how we see ourselves?

Source: www.commondreams.org...

[edit on 27-7-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
That's a really great article. I don't believe that we are the only thing effecting geological changes, but it is an interesting viewpoint that we ARE augmenting it, or helping it along in a very big way.

new topics

join