It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bachmann blocks resolution declaring Hawaii to be Obama’s birthplace.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
thinkprogress.org...

Today, Rep. Neil Abercrombie (D-HI) introduced a resolution commemorating the 50th anniversary of Hawaii’s statehood. The resolution also proclaims the state as President Obama’s birthplace, a point the Plum Line’s Greg Sargent noted may “put House GOPers who are flirting with birtherism in a jam.” This afternoon on the House floor, Abercrombie spoke of his measure and specifically noted that Obama had been born in Hawaii. “It’s also going to be the birthday in a week or so of President Obama, born in Kapiolani hospital just down the road from where I lived,” he said. Just as the presiding chair of the House, Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD), was about to declare the resolution passed by voice vote, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) stood and objected:

BACHMANN: Mr. Speaker? I object to the vote on the grounds that a quorum is not present and make a point of order that a quorum is not present. [...]

REP. ELIJAH CUMMINGS (D-MD): Further proceedings on this motion will be postponed.

The link has a video.

O.K. I guess if Congress proclaims Obama was born in Hawaii that makes it true and thus ends the eligibility controversy?

Just because you make a proclamation in a resolution does not make the proclamation a fact simply because the majority says so..

This attempt to seal the coffin on the debate about Obama's eligibility to be President issue is sneaky and devious.

If he really was born in Hawaii what do they have to fear?

I see no need to make a proclamation about his birthplace. History doesn't need a resolution. The truth will write itself if the PTB don't prevent it. It sure as hell doesn't need to be written by Congress.

[edit on 7/27/2009 by sad_eyed_lady]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
if he really wasnt born in hawaii give us some proof.

or are you just pushing the burden of proof on to those with the opposite opinion and then claiming all that proof to be fake. (without any proof of that either)

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   

According to Article One of the United States Constitution, the United States House of Representatives and the United States Senate each have a quorum of a simple majority of their respective members. The Senate has the additional requirement in Rule VI of its standing rules of a "majority of the members duly chosen and sworn." The only exception is when either house sits for choosing the President or Vice President when the electoral college fails to obtain a majority vote. In this exception, each house requires the presence of members from two-thirds of the states to satisfy quorum.

Quorum

Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) would have been well within her rights to object if there wasn't sufficient representation involved to pass the resolution.

On the basis of constitutionality alone, it would be just fair to not allow legislature to ramrod its way through our legislative branch without enough people to vote on the issue.

And by the way if anyone want's to know who vetted Obama and who it is that is in charge of making sure whether or not Obama is eligible for the office of POTUS, that would be the chair of the DNC Nancy Pelosi. So what I would suggest from my fellow members is to write Pelosi about this issue.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
it's as simple as, just show the friggin proof, and be done with it.

the more you hide it, and put blocks up to find out the truth the more it fuels the fire, i really and honestly don't understand whats so hard about showing a birth certificate, that would be a huge middle finger to the non-believers..the more they deny something, the more it proves they are lying...

it's just bloody annoying why they wont just shut the hell up and provide a birth certificate

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

Try reading the 4th Amendment sometime and stop trying to force the people of the United States to surrender their rights under the constitution.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

Then prove that he was born in Hawaii.

. . . or are you just or are you just pushing the burden of proof on to those with the opposite opinion and then claiming all that evidence to be fake?

No one can settle this but Obama himself, and the fact the he has gone through so much trouble to not provide prove speaks a great deal.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

What does the 4th Amendment have to do with the birth certificate? No one is doing illegal searches or seizures

But I offer you this. If you go to work for McDonald's, they require a birth certificate to be shown (I know, I have worked there). It is the law.

Following this same line of thinking . . . does the government not work for the people? Therefore, are they not required to how proof that they are eligible for such work, as provided by the law (and the supreme law of the Constitution)?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by Darth_Prime

Try reading the 4th Amendment sometime and stop trying to force the people of the United States to surrender their rights under the constitution.

personally i don't give a damn where he is born, i think we have a much bigger problem then this, and for me this is all just Dissinfo and a distraction

i think he is a scum bag just like all the rest, a puppet being played by the Global Takeovers, he is pushing the NWO agenda, and at the very least a very big pawn in the NWO'S game..

on a side note i am well versed in all the Amendment's, but thanks mate..

when the powers that are stop invading my privacy and the rest of the worlds privacy then you can talk about forcing the people of the United States to surrender their rights under the constitution.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

But I offer you this. If you go to work for McDonald's, they require a birth certificate to be shown (I know, I have worked there). It is the law.

No they don't! Don't give me that!

You have to show two forms of ID I have had many many jobs. I have NEVER had to show my birth certificate for them.

Don't go making up stuff now.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady

O.K. I guess if Congress proclaims Obama was born in Hawaii that makes it true and thus ends the eligibility controversy?

Just because you make a proclamation in a resolution does not make the proclamation a fact simply because the majority says so..

This attempt to seal the coffin on the debate about Obama's eligibility to be President issue is sneaky and devious.

If he really was born in Hawaii what do they have to fear?

I see no need to make a proclamation about his birthplace. History doesn't need a resolution. The truth will write itself if the PTB don't prevent it. It sure as hell doesn't need to be written by Congress.

[edit on 7/27/2009 by sad_eyed_lady]

How is it a bare assertion fallacy if the assertion is backed up by evidence? There's the legit birth certificate, the newspaper ad announcing his birth in Hawaii, hell even the Republican governor of the state stands behind the authenticity of the documents.

You're argument that just because the resolution stating that there is sufficient evidence to show Obama's birth place passed 378-0 in fact doesn't prove anything is more than a little puzzling. It's not like 378 people voted on some relativistic social issue, it's a cut and dry legal matter based upon the evidence provided, of which the "birther" movement has exactly none.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   

The burden of proof is on the accuser.

We on the side that think this issue is a huge horses ass have shown our evidence. Evidence that is backed up and can be admitted to the House of Representatives.

The people that believe in this horse dung have squat to show and nothing that is able to be used in an impeachment case.

The 4th amendment protects us from jackasses coming up to us on the street demanding our personal papers to prove whatever idiotic notion that comes into their little heads. Thats why I say stop trying to trample over the constitution.

When people demand from Obama the birth certificate, they are in fact trampling all over the 4th amendment. It's unreasonable and there is no warrant for the birth certificate. So it clearly violates his constitutional rights to his personal papers and effects.

[edit on 7/28/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Uhh . . . yeah you do.

It is one of the two forms of ID. A SS card, a Passport, a drivers license, or a Birth Certificate. The first three need a birth certificate to obtain.

It all comes down to needing a birth certificate.

So yes, you do need a birth certificate to work, and you do need to provide one, which Obama has not . . .

Thank you very much.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Which he has, a birth certificate that has been verified by the state of Hawaii as legitimate.

Too bad.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Perhaps what is unreasonable is his effort to withhold the information.

And by the way . . . no evidence was given to support his side. He did issue the Certificate of Live Birth, which is not a Birth Certificate, and could be loopholed because of Hawaii law at the time.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   

This was stolen from the net today. It applies well.

I can post my copy of the deed that proves I own your house. I can post as many copies of the deed as you might ever want to look at. Each and every copy says I own your house.

Everyone I know says I own your house.

The registrar of deeds says she “has the valid deed to your house on file”. She will not make any other comments regarding the deed, and says that the statement stands on its own.

Good enough! you are clearly a delusional wingnut to be occupying my house. Please leave my house today so I can occupy my property.

By the way, a web site owned by some of my employees has now verified that my copy of the deed is authentic. It has a raised seal and everything.

The registrar of deeds has personally seen and verified that the archives have the original deed to your house.

This should prove everything. What more evidence do you need that I own your house?

I can give you pointers on an excellent moving service

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Which he has, a birth certificate that has been verified by the state of Hawaii as legitimate.

Too bad.

I don't think that is quite accurate.
I believe it was said they verified that they have his original birth certificate only. That does not mean the online version provided by Obama is accurate nor does that have anything to do with whatever is written on the original birth certificate.

[edit on 7/28/2009 by WhatTheory]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Take it up with the House of Representatives then. Stop wasting our time with it.

Oh by the way, bring evidence. You know what that is right? Evidence? They will need it in order to bring up Impeachment proceedings.

Oh what? you don't have any? That's not going to be too convincing.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
H.Res.593 was voted on and passed Jul 27, 2009 6:56 PM

Recognizing and celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the entry of Hawaii into the Union as the 50th State

So... it has already been passed according to the Govtrack.us.

And... Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-MN) voted YES.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Oh of course, because when our leaders speak, it MUST BE SO!

And I now own your house. Cool beans

Like I said . . . the only one who can provide the proof is Obama himself, and he is blocking that every chance he gets . . . and he has people like you trying to get people to move on and pave it over.

I have already found one hole in the weekend's news from Hawaii.

[edit on 7/28/2009 by Lemon.Fresh]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Try due process under the LAW!

Gather real evidence, bring it up to the House and get them to impeach Obama.

Otherwise if you don't have any evidence. You have no point. You have no case.

Bring Evidence. If you believe that Obama isn't eligible for the Office than you are on the side of the accuser.

Innocent until proven guilty.

Prove he wasn't, don't roll your eyes at me, prove that he wasn't born in Hawaii.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join