It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7 in North Carolina charged with supporting terrorism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

7 in North Carolina charged with supporting terrorism

www.cnn.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Federal authorities have charged seven men in North Carolina with supporting terrorism and conspiracy to commit murder abroad, the Justice Department announced Monday.

Officials said one of the men, identified as North Carolina resident and U.S. native Daniel Patrick Boyd, had traveled to Pakistan and Afghanistan, where he trained in terrorist camps to carry out "violent jihad."

Boyd, 39, who went by the name Saifullah, was charged along with two of his sons: Dylan Boyd, 22, also known as Mohammed, and Zakariya Boyd, 20.

The four others also are residents of Nort
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Here we go more home grown terrorists! They had weapons and ammunition and while they weren't planning on doing anything in the United States they were planning on killing people abroad!

Maybe one day soon some guy I don't know will come up and punch me in the nose for planning to bed his wife someday I don't know either?

The article claims these people trained in Afghanistan and Pakistan and were recruiting people to train in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Sounds more like competition for Black Water than terrorism?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
The real concern here on the part of the Government seems to be these men were practicing with weapons and military tactics.

Who is next on the domestic terrorist list people who run Paint Ball camps?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Your comparing apples and oranges, one team is doing it for fun and entertainment the other is training to commit acts of terrorism.

From who I gather from your post in this thread you think that they shouldn't be arrested because they haven't commited an act of terrorism yet? I don't know if that's what you meant but the context made it look like that.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

I believe a crime needs to really occur before people are arrested for a crime.

The Government has long used conspiracy laws to pack our prisons in the war on drugs.

Talk about wanting to make a big drug deal happen to the wrong person and you now have a conspiracy charge.

The problem is all kinds of people talk about things that simply aren't things they are really going to do.

I am going to move to Hollywood and be a big Rock Star someday. I am going to win the Lottery and give it all a way to charity. I am so mad at so and so I would like to do this or that, I am so in love with so and so I would do this or that.

Who are the people they are supposedly going to kill abroad? How do they know these people really were in a training camp over seas?

If we let our government continue to play the terrorist card just to keep the War on Terrorism alive, by arresting people with no credible plans to carry out Terrorist attacks and no credible means to do so, with no credible evidence that they have we all run the danger of one day being arrested for terrorists if we fail to agree with or do certain things the Government wants us too.

The war on drugs has been a costly disaster, the war on terror and even costlier one, and the greatest cost is to our freedoms and constitution in how they pursue it.

Not one home grown terrorist cell arrested yet has been a credible one that the FBI itself didn't manufacture and nurture through informants and in the case of the Liberty City Six it took 2 mistrials and the acquittals of 2 defendants before they finally got convictions on the remaining 5 in the third trial and the hysterical part was is they were all christian black street criminals looking to just scam the FBI informant who hatched the plot out of money!

Oh the cost to the tax payers for the trials and investigation just several million dollars.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Well, if there is proof that they actually trained in camps in Afghani and Paki than we have a clear distinction between normal Americans and this special breed of "wanna be terrorist."

These guys were like jihad supporters, *Allegedly* trained to create bombs and kill innocent bystanders.

That actually is real terrorism, if it can be proven beyond any doubts in a court of law.

Now, normal Americans who just want to be free and are willing to resist fascism with force, are completely different and are not terrorists at all, but rather they are patriotic revolutionaries, and could be justified under Constitutional reasoning possibly.

Two totally different breeds entirely. Let us be clear to make this distinction.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Conspiracy to commit murder is a crime though, but it MUST BE PROVEN with EVIDENCE in a open Court of Law.

They deserve a jury and a fair trial, and cannot be held indefinitely or tortured.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

If there is proof is a big if. North Carolina with a last name like Boyd? Islamic extremists? That's just not very plausible.

As usual the government announces the case and idictment with little detail and in a lot of cases they try to get around detail by saying 'national security' in court to a judge.

We have to have real standards and we have to make sure that real standards are being met and the system isn't being abused for the sake of Government power and propoganda, other wise the next Boyd accused of all these things might be you or me and the whole system designed to allow us to protest our innosence might be held hostage to national security thanks to the Terrorist Boogey Man.

I am not afraid of terrorists I am afraid of governmental abuses.

My upright seat back cushion acts as a safety and flotation device perfect for fending off box cutters.

The Constitution is getting shredded a lot worse I fear.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Pertinent questions would be, did they actually build any bombs?

Did they have plans drawn up for attacks?

These charges *should be* in my mind, far less than actually carrying out the act which is *mass murder*.

If they were making bombs, we have a real crime on our hands.

But if they were just sitting around griping and had no actual plans or illegal explosives, finding a crime would be exceptionally difficult.

But I am not speaking from the "current law" but rather from the "right or wrong" viewpoint.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Conspiracy to commit murder is a crime though, but it MUST BE PROVEN with EVIDENCE in a open Court of Law.

They deserve a jury and a fair trial, and cannot be held indefinitely or tortured.

Yes it is but while the news reports are scetchy conspiracy to murder whom? It sounds like they are simply saying these men intend to deploy to a war zone in the Middle East and Asia and fight.

So did the Flying Tigers and they weren't arrested for conspiracy to committ murder of Japanese troops when and at a time they were defending China before the U.S. entered world war II.

The militia brigades that trained to fight the Bay of Pigs against Castro made up of Cuban-Americans weren't arrested for conspiracy to committ murder.

There was no declared war against Cuba.

Hopefully these men weren't planning on fighting against U.S. Soldier in earnest.

However mercanaries like Blackwater engage in hot spots all over the world and they aren't charged with conspiracy to committ murder even when they do murder!

I starred your posts because you do advocate a free and open trial for these men, and there should always be a free and open trial for anyone who stands accused of a crime.

FISA and Secret Courts are not anything our forefathers or I want, the power to abuse them is to great, and places us all at too much risk and we are all at too much risk already from a government out of control and drunk on it's own power.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   

reply to post by muzzleflash

If there is proof is a big if. North Carolina with a last name like Boyd? Islamic extremists? That's just not very plausible.

Without proof they should be set free. 100% agree.

But just because his name is Boyd, does not mean he cannot be Islamic.
That is kinda prejudice. Jermaine Jackson claims he is Islamic. We cant judge them based on their name.

We need real hard evidence to prosecute someone.

But from the article, we cannot possibly know if they are actual criminals or not yet.

I would personally like to see the evidence they were training overseas to conduct "terrorist operations" personally.

If it can be proven they had a real gig going on, than we really have no argument against a fair trial + prosecution.

Evidence is the primary factor I think.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
IM suprised congress or obama didnt hire them to send over to afghanistan, iraq and pakistan Youde think they be perfect CIA operatives!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Well, in regards to government sponsored murder. There is proof but I just do not see the government allowing any type of prosecution.

I personally am against killing, but you and I have to admit, that would be hard as hell to put a stop to. Since the government is actually backing them.

I cannot wait to see the day when all of the government sponsored murder is in the past , just like you. But when will that day come? I hope soon, but I fear later.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggy1706
IM suprised congress or obama didnt hire them to send over to afghanistan, iraq and pakistan Youde think they be perfect CIA operatives!

You have me laughing about that one!
Funny post Ziggy.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Does anyone know where this school is, I have a friend, who has a friend, of another friend, that was wonding where it was.

Is it free or do you have to pay?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

. . .
Now, normal Americans who just want to be free and are willing to resist fascism with force, are completely different and are not terrorists at all, but rather they are patriotic revolutionaries, and could be justified under Constitutional reasoning possibly.

Two totally different breeds entirely. Let us be clear to make this distinction.

Nope. those are considered terrorists as well, sadly.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

. . .

Nope. those are considered terrorists as well, sadly.

And Hitler probably considered the French, Polish, Romanian, or Jewish people terrorists as well.

That is because he was the real terrorist and was a fascist. Look at how well that worked out for him though.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Traveler,
The Flying Tigers where contractors. Mercenaries they were NOT. Being a Mercenary is NOT illegal and has been an accepted designation for fighters who fight for another entity for gain, monetary or political and tend to fight for a recognized government entity! There are some actual rules that must be adhered to. The Geneva Convention does have a set of circumstances relating to mercenary soldiers. These men in this case cannot be considered under these rules and were trained for insurrection and warfare against a particular group. Which group or country has not been designated but their existence in this country is reason to be considered dangerous and in a conspiratorial manner! We'll have to see what the actual evidence is but, I tend to believe no arrest would be made unless they have some good info on their agenda.
I do worry that this case might be used as precedent for further incursions on our rights to assemble and work for return of our Republic!
Zindo

[edit on 7/27/2009 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Choose your own adventure:

A. The people were arrested for anti big brother sentiment
B. They knew too much about something
C. They simply got framed and used as scapegoats
D. It really happened the way Fox News explains...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

I love the arguments you have brought forth so far.

They cant be guilty because of their last name. Wow....

Nobody should be stopped until they commit a crime? So if there is a group if people plotting to kill you and your family and the police know about it, you would want those people to not be arrested? I'm sure you would much rather be tortured and murdered by this group then the cops looking into it and putting them away behind bars beforehand.

Your post is filled with a lack of logical thinking and I can't begin to understand where you coming from with the current facts. If it comes out that this is all a lie and the facts are wrong then they should be released but if the police have just cause to detail and continue their investigation they should. I would rather lives be saved possibly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join