It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.Y. High School To Provide Pregnancy, STD Testing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

N.Y. High School To Provide Pregnancy, STD Testing

wcbstv.com

As Port Chester High School gets ready for the new school year, officials have signed off on a new service that will offer free testing for sexually transmitted diseases and even pregnancy testing to any student who asks.

"Like any other high school we have teen pregnancy so when a young lady comes down we can offer a test and guide her and refer them from that point," Superintendent Donald K. Carlisle said.

Carlisle said it's simply an extension of the comprehensive health services already provided to students. Students requesting the tests will be able to receive them without need
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Call me a total radical, but I'm actually ok with this sort of service being provided through a school district's health services department. Since schools are funded through tax dollars, I'm ok providing these services to high school aged individuals.

Now, during these times of bankruptcy in the states and tough financial times for school districts...not sure this is great timing.

Either way, I'm sure this controversial issue will only enrage many and sadly, shift the focus from real and important issues back into debating social policy.

wcbstv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

No! I think it's a great idea, too. Especially for kids who might not be able to drive and get the tests themselves, or afford it. I know some clinics also have wait times of months for appointments... and this could actually prevent many future problems.

I think it's a great idea, but I'm sure someone will disagree.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
The only people who wouldn't support such a measure are those who are living in a blissful bubble and think that kids aren't having sex.

Just because people don't admit there exists a problem, does not mean that there isn't a problem.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
The only people who wouldn't support such a measure are those who are living in a blissful bubble and think that kids aren't having sex.

Just because people don't admit there exists a problem, does not mean that there isn't a problem.

I would agree with you.

Also throw in the folks that think, "nobody should be teaching their kids social issues and/or responsibility," yet, aren't home enough to provide such skills/knowledge to their own children.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I disagree with this, and I'm going to tell you why I disagree with this.

The school is not the mother and father of the child. The child should have to face the music with their parents. If they have to get a parents signature to get a pregnancy test at the clinic or an STD test, then the parents have a right to know what they are doing as long as they are under the age of 18.

This is making the school like a parent. Kids should have to talk to their parents about this.

If you can't see the slippery slope this goes down then you need to read some more history.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

The school is not the mother and father of the child. The child should have to face the music with their parents. If they have to get a parents signature to get a pregnancy test at the clinic or an STD test, then the parents have a right to know what they are doing as long as they are under the age of 18.

This is making the school like a parent. Kids should have to talk to their parents about this.

If you can't see the slippery slope this goes down then you need to read some more history.

You really think the school wouldn't notify the parents of a pregnant daughter or a kid with STD's? They contact family for much less than that currently.

Furthermore, you list that as the only problem to this event. What about the other benefits which far outweigh your one little problem?

What if the kid is simply too scared to get approval from parents to get tested? Instead putting it off, and continuing to have sex, spreading the disease?

Or, perhaps a young girl has made a mistake and gotten knocked up, fearing she will be disowned by her parents... doesn't get tested?

Those are all benefits to the program. To say that the one issue of the kids side stepping their parents trumps all other benefits is short sighted at best.

Put it this way, if it stipulated that after any test, the parents regardless of results would be notified. Would that make you happy? Would you then allow the rest of the benfits?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Well first, some parents aren't responsible, and some kids have poor relationships with their parents.

Also, the opinion most parents have is "Don't have sex, don't have sex here, don't have sex ever." So kids may feel like, well, I'm going to get in trouble if they find out I did.

I think that most kids should talk to their parents about these things, but I can understand why they may not want to or may not be able to. And I think their well-being is more important than the school offering a service that some may not agree with.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

You really think the school wouldn't notify the parents of a pregnant daughter or a kid with STD's? They contact family for much less than that currently.

Did you read the article?

What if the kid is simply too scared to get approval from parents to get tested? Instead putting it off, and continuing to have sex, spreading the disease?

If the kid is to scared to talk to their parents, and will keep having sex when they think they have something, how is this beneficial to anybody?

How are people ever going to learn their are consequences in life when they mess up? So the government should give them an outlet to keep pertenate info from the parents?

What if the kid has HIV and is too scared to the tell the parents? They are putting the parents at risk.

Or, perhaps a young girl has made a mistake and gotten knocked up, fearing she will be disowned by her parents... doesn't get tested?[/quote

So she could keep the secret from her parents that she is having sex? Then how are parents supposed to teach her about the consequences of life? I guess she should always run to big brother when she has a problem instead of dealing with it huh?

Those are all benefits to the program. To say that the one issue of the kids side stepping their parents trumps all other benefits is short sighted at best.

Since when is it the schools job to be the parent? The kids are minors, and are not legal adults. It is the parents responsibility to parent their kids, not the school.

The short sightedness is giving the outlet to avoid the consequence from their parents. If the kid is having sex then it the parents right to know.

Put it this way, if it stipulated that after any test, the parents regardless of results would be notified. Would that make you happy? Would you then allow the rest of the benfits?

Then why spend tax payers money on giving the test? Why not let the kid own up and tell the parents what they are doing?

This is the exact reason why this country is in the shape that it is in today, we are cowards because kids are giving outlets to side step the consequences of their actions.

You want a better society then kids should need to learn about the consequences of life.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Well first, some parents aren't responsible, and some kids have poor relationships with their parents.

Also, the opinion most parents have is "Don't have sex, don't have sex here, don't have sex ever." So kids may feel like, well, I'm going to get in trouble if they find out I did.

I think that most kids should talk to their parents about these things, but I can understand why they may not want to or may not be able to. And I think their well-being is more important than the school offering a service that some may not agree with.

It isn't my problem the kid's parents aren't responsible. It isn't your fault either. It is all the more reason for kids to figure out how to make it on their own.

Well the kids shouldn't be stupid then. If you reward stupidity then you are going to end up with a stupid society. You are going to end up with people that don't know how to deal with consequences and unable to handle real life situations where confrontation is a reality and there is nobody to run too.

If the government is there to hold peoples hands the whole way, you can say good bye to freedom because they will grow up wanting to the government to handle all their problems.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
they had this in my old school, but not pregnancy, and for the most part people found out if they had something or not, got whatever they needed to get and thats about as far as it went.
seemed to send the message of self-responsibility which is usually positive for people of the teen age group.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

In other words, you believe that a kid with a disease or a pregnancy should be browbeaten and chastised by offended parents, rather than get some sort of medical attention, advice, and recommendation from someone who's trained to do so.

Well, alrighty then.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

In other words, you believe that a kid with a disease or a pregnancy should be browbeaten and chastised by offended parents, rather than get some sort of medical attention, advice, and recommendation from someone who's trained to do so.

Well, alrighty then.

So, you believe that kids should disobey their parents, and not be punished for doing so?

How are parents supposed to parent their kids when they can side step the parents authority?

The kids should be brownbeaten and chastised for making a stupid decisions that is how kids learn.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I believe that if a kid has an STD or a child of their own in the near future, there are some more important concerns than the ego of the parents.

I also don't see the need for parents to inform their kid how stupid they are in this situation. I kind of imagine that the fact that it hurts to pee and there's a green gooey discharge could do that job rather admirably, don't you?

And lastly, children learn by being taught. Unfortunately, most parents never bother teaching their kids about sex, much less some of the complications of it. I can't imagine my mother ever trying to explain syphilis, for instance.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

I believe that if a kid has an STD or a child of their own in the near future, there are some more important concerns than the ego of the parents.

I also don't see the need for parents to inform their kid how stupid they are in this situation. I kind of imagine that the fact that it hurts to pee and there's a green gooey discharge could do that job rather admirably, don't you?

And lastly, children learn by being taught. Unfortunately, most parents never bother teaching their kids about sex, much less some of the complications of it. I can't imagine my mother ever trying to explain syphilis, for instance.

So how are the kids supposed to be taught by their parents if they don't tell their parents?

Giving kids the option to avoid the parents is skipping out on being taught by their parents.

Your last sentence explains everything, the fact is kids don't want to tell their parents, because kids think they already know everything. How about kids learning the fact if they do something stupid that goes against their parents rules they get punished?

You know being taught about the consequences of breaking the rules.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Although teen pregnancy and birth rates in the U.S. declined significantly during the 1990s, approximately 1 million American teenage girls still get pregnant each year. That is by far the highest rate of teen pregnancies of any industrialized nation -- and eight out of 10 are unplanned, according to NCPTP

read more

Every year 3 million teens--about 1 in 4 sexually experienced teens--acquire an STD.

These figures are absolutely outrageous. I think that having programs like that just encourage teens to have sex. That it is just a normal thing to do and if you get pregnant its ok.

Im trying to find the figure for under 15 and pregnant.

Our high school in a town of 30,000 people has a day care.
What message does that give them? Its ok if you get pregnant, we have a day care. Give me a break.

It just makes me mad that parents really aren't taking responsibility to teach their kids about things like this.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I gotta say, I agree with this school's decision.

It's better to have someone know they have a disease than have them get punished by the parents and possibly not allowed to get tested. If they can't get tested, they could continue to spread what they have - possibly ruining the lives of a handful of people if it's a serious disease.

Second, if I recall correctly, parents can press charges if their underage child is sleeping with someone. That someone would then be a blue square on a map for the rest of his life. Now, to the naysayer(s), answer this: Which would you rather have - a 16 year old who, unknown to the parents, gets tested for an STD OR a 16 year old who tells his or her parents that they have been around the block and wants to get tested, and the parents then press charges on his or her partner who becomes known as a sex offender for the rest of his or her life?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by anonymouse876

You do have a point there.

Its just that so many kids that get pregnant, and I just wish there was a way to help prevent that is all.

After they get tested then what? They keep doing it over and over again.?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

So how are the kids supposed to be taught by their parents if they don't tell their parents?

That's some nice circular logic there. How are kids supposed to know about this stuff, if not taught by their parents? The parents need to volunteer information. Duh?

Giving kids the option to avoid the parents is skipping out on being taught by their parents.

And if the kids are in this situation, it's pretty obvious their parents haven't taught them. By the time it's "too late" one can reasonably guess that the parents aren't going to suddenly start. Therefor the kid is better-off actually talking to a trained medical provider about the situation, and sparing themselves the hassle of parents pitching a hissy fit over their absolute authority turning out to not actually be so absolute.

Your last sentence explains everything, the fact is kids don't want to tell their parents, because kids think they already know everything. How about kids learning the fact if they do something stupid that goes against their parents rules they get punished?

Sigh. I see that you're not catching on very well here. I'll try to explain to you.

Kid comes home and says, "Mom, dad, the school nurse says I have chlamydia" - What are the parents going to do? Pretty much nothing in their bucket of options can actually help the situation. You know, the whole "crusty glans with a milky pus discharge" issue? Or worse, the "bleeding vagina and chance of uterine scarring" issue?

Nah, most parents can't do much about that, aside from take the kid to the doctor. But the kid could probably go to the doctor on their own. or the nurse could provide the needed antibiotics

All the parents can do is scream and point fingers. They're not doing this for the benefit of the child - after all, kind of late, right? - But simply to make themselves feel better, to soothe their own egos by trying to make the kid feel worse.

Now think of this as an interaction between adults. Do you see any point to creating a useless, stressful situation that gets no results for anyone involved, but instead ends up making all parties involved worse-off?

Kids are pretty sharp. They do dumb things, but who doesn't? They can tell when it's a good time to keep their mouths shut, and who to keep their mouths shut towards. Logically there is no reason for many children to ever tell their parents about this stuff, because it brings no benefit to them or their parents. Now for the rare few who's parents could handle the situation in a rational manner, that's different. But I'm using "the rare few" quite intentionally. Most parents just aren't that levelheaded when it comes to realizing their kids are doing things with their crotches. Even those parents who did the same thing at the same age.

You never had any sort of sexual contact as a teenager, and if you did, you told your parents in complete detail? I doubt it, on both counts.

And then there's the other problem, of parents willfully keeping their own children ignorant.

You know being taught about the consequences of breaking the rules.

again, I would consider having a weeping sore on my tenders as consequence enough without my parents having to rub my face into it (figuratively, of course)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

I agree. Abstinence doesnt really "work", I'm sorry. Try telling a horny teenager with a equally horny girlfriend/boyfriend that they should just stay abstinent. It doesn't work unless the kids are already hardcore religious.

Not saying its right but I had a baby with my now wife at a young age and I wouldn't change that for the world! I love my daughter, shes the most important person on earth to me!

[edit on 27-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join