It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't Go There: Dems Eye 10% Tax On Botox, Cosmetic Surgery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

DON'T GO THERE: DEMS EYE 10% TAX ON BOTOX, COSMETIC SURGERY

www.drudgereport.com

Face-lifts, tummy tucks and hair transplants could be hit with a new tax to help finance the trillion-dollar healthcare overhaul plan, CONGRESS DAILY reports.

The Senate Finance Committee has discussed imposing a 10% excise tax on cosmetic surgery deemed unnecessary for medical purposes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 27 Jul 2009 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Oh, boy oh boy...what are you going to Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi?!!?

I find this quite amusing! How do you they come with the ideas to impose a tax/surcharge on particular services and/or items? It seems like they just pull these things outta nowhere and say, "tax 'em!"

And while we're on the topic of putting a tax on Botox and facelifts, isn't New York City already heavily taxed on items/services?

www.drudgereport.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Of all the serious events going on in the world, does the taxation of botox seriously require an all caps title? Honestly? Are you that shocked and concerned?

Anyone who can afford to put botulism toxin in their face to remove wrinkles sure as hell doesn't give a damn about costs.

Furthermore, we pay luxury tax already on a variety of non essential items that wealth affords.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
Of all the serious events going on in the world, does the taxation of botox seriously require an all caps title? Honestly? Are you that shocked and concerned?

Anyone who can afford to put botulism toxin in their face to remove wrinkles sure as hell doesn't give a damn about costs.

Furthermore, we pay luxury tax already on a variety of non essential items that wealth affords.

ABSOLUTELY!!! J/K. I didn't even realize it was in all caps. The instructions when posting indicate you must copy the headline exactly as is published on the news source.

You can thank Drudge Report for its caps and hysteria!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason

ABSOLUTELY!!! J/K. I didn't even realize it was in all caps. The instructions when posting indicate you must copy the headline exactly as is published on the news source.

And you can thank the edit button for making it simple to edit the caps into lower case. So that an admin/mod need not waste his time doing it for you.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Just when you think that Nancy Pelosi really would need a facelift the evil Democrats stop her from getting what she really needs. Congress can't do anything right.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
It is still taxation without representation.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by mikerussellus]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MOFreemason

And you can thank the edit button for making it simple to edit the caps into lower case. So that an admin/mod need not waste his time doing it for you.

Well, now I'll know for next time. I took the instructions to literal.

Perhaps you can stay on topic, or do we need an admin/mod to provide a gentle reminder of that for you?

I was trying to be honest and innocent in my error. You are pushing a subject...now back to issue please.

DAILY’s Peter Cohn reveals: The idea was broached in a meeting with OMB Director Orszag in mid-July, after which Senate Finance Chairman Max Baucus told reporters he had heard some “interesting,” “creative,” and “kind of fun” ideas.
infidelsparadise.com...

Certainly wins the aware for interesting and creative. Seems like yet another tax on the rich, no?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
That's why such things are called "LUXURY" taxes (even though the proper term is "Excise" Tax). When the Federal Reserve starts coming up short, Congress looks for new avenues to tax. Whether you are Republican or Democrat, the first thing that gets targeted are Luxuries, because basically, if you can afford the luxury, then you can afford the tax. You can't get rich off the poor as you can't squeeze blood from a turnip.

Do people need Botox and Nip and Tucks? No!
Does the poor get Botox and Nip and Tucks? No!
Do the Middle Class get Botox and Nip and Tucks? Generally not, but some go into debt to afford these procedures.

Well then, it's safe to slap a Luxury Tax on it then.

I don't see anything wrong with Federally Taxing Cosmetic Surgery, personally.

However, I'm one of those people who would rather that we drop Income Tax altogether in favor of a VAT or Flat-Rate Luxury Tax on non-essential goods and services to tax the consumers in America, rather than tax the workers.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
There's a reason why Mark Levine refers to Joe Biden as "Plugs".

www.buzzfeed.com...

But I'm sure members of Congress will find themselves an immunity clause in any tax bill drafted to cover a tax like this.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It is all pretty stupid. The obvious problem is health insurance. Just get rid of it as a for profit industry. It adds no value at all to the health industry and is nothing more than a 3rd party between doctors and patients that is making profit for doing much to nothing.

Simple way to give everyone health care is first make health expenses 100% tax deductible and second the government should give all Americans an interest free loan for all health care that will be repaid directly from income just like taxes.

No matter how you go about this, the tax payer is going to have to foot the bill for the unemployed so we may as well just cut the health insurance part of it out, so tax payers are not paying profits to health insurance for no value added.

Lastly the repayment on the health loans will be ultra low % of annual income after the 100 % tax deduction. Yes some will die and still owe but ya know what? The tax payer will end up with the bill either way so again why add the cost of for profit health insurance?

Adjusting the patient repayment for expensive doctors is another way to control outrageous charges. If you chose the expensive doctor then your repayment deduction will increase by some % based on the average doctor charges.

Just some thoughts. If we are going to give all Americans health care then we need to cut out the health insurance industry to reduce the cost to the tax payer. No matter how else you stack it, the tax payer will be paying for the unemployed. Why should we let health insurance profit on our taxes?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Great idea. Those procedures are completely unnecessary.

Now that tax money can go to benefit people with real medical conditions who need more important procedures.

Sorry for the harshness.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I'm inclined to agree with you on that, however, I still see the will to tax anything and everything as a slippery slope that just seems to get worse each year.

Taxing botox and the like as luxury items can easily pave the way to finalize taxes on things like sodas and other simple pleasures. Sure, it's a fine solution for a status quo, but it surely wouldn't hurt to start thinking a bit outside of the box.

But we're talking about the government here. That's right. Nevermind.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Fiscal

They are already considering a tax on non-diet sodas, they are already ahead of you on that one. Or maybe you were being sarcastic.

I have a brilliant idea, how about downsizing the government so they don't have to tax everything to keep it going?

I know, I know, that is too simple of a solution.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
never vote to raise taxes no matter how "good" the cause that the tax money will go towards. today they tax cigarettes and botox, tomorrow.... everything else!

join