It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More than 150 feared dead in Islamist attacks in Nigeria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

More than 150 feared dead in Islamist attacks in Nigeria

www. telegraph.co.uk

More than 150 have been killed in northern Nigeria in violent attacks carried out over two days by Islamist insurgents styling themselves on the Taliban.

Trouble began on Sunday when militants attacked a police station in the northern city of Bauchi, leaving dozens dead in gunbattles with police.

Armed fundamentalists staged further shootouts with security forces on Monday, setting alight two police stations, a church and a customs building in three towns in the country's majority Muslim
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Nigeria has been sporadically wracked by sectarian clashes since 12 of the country's 36 states began adopting Islamic law, or Sharia, in the north in 1999.

This week's co-ordinated attacks were carried out by a hardline Islamist group of former students calling itself Boko Haram, loosely translated as "education is sin", which models itself on the Taliban.

There'll be more of these popping up everywhere modelling themselves on the Taliban. This could go on for generations and generations.

A war against the Taliban 30 years ago, or even 10 years ago wouldn't have helped spread extremist views as much. Nowadays African Muslims can see bombs dropping in Afghanistan on Youtube and propaganda vids that the Taliban and Al Qaeda upload there.

I noticed that the Nigerians allowed Sharia laws in 1999. I think this is a prime example of why western countries must not allow any part of sharia law to be implemented however minor the part of the law that Muslims ask for. As they'll push for more to be allowed, and with the amount of Muslims already in the UK and a number of them holding extremist views, then it's just going to provide a spring board to allow extremism to grow. And this will further disassociate less extreme muslims, and incite riots and potentially a homegrown muslim version of the IRA who model themselves on the Taliban.

www. telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 27-7-2009 by john124]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Interesting. And some people on here think there is no such thing as terrorists or extremists (I have seen people say this exact thing).. They think only the western world/US is the only bad on this planet....

(watch this article get ignored while people eat up all the other articles that show these types of people in a good light, or only show that its the western world who does this stuff)

[edit on 27-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jeasahtheseer
Interesting. And some people on here think there is no such thing as terrorists or extremists (I have seen people say this).. They think only the US is the only bad in this world....

(watch this article get ignored while people eat up all the other articles that show these types of people in a good light)

Yeah people on here ignore reality, and prefer to chat about their illusions and vague opinions on topics like 9/11 and Israel.

A few African countries are having problems with Islamics, and it's been gradually getting worse.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by john124]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by john124

Originally posted by jeasahtheseer
Interesting. And some people on here think there is no such thing as terrorists or extremists (I have seen people say this).. They think only the US is the only bad in this world....

(watch this article get ignored while people eat up all the other articles that show these types of people in a good light)

Yeah people on here ignore reality, and prefer to chat about their illusions and vague opinions on topics like 9/11 and Israel.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

My thoughts exactly! Thats basically what I was trying to say, you worded it better than me.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Perhaps you didn't see what kind of site this is. It's a conspiracy site!!

Opinions and illusions vague or not are part and partial of conspiracies and that's what's going to be discussed.

And people on ATS know that their is a terrorist threat but it's etiology and solution is still up for debate. Debate is possible and healthy on ATS if your ideology doesn't get in the way of common sense.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I have worked in Nigeria and it's a pretty lawless place anyway.

There are many deep ethnic and religious divides.
There is also a lot of resentment of the Western world as most of the population has not benefited from the oil wealth.

EDIT To add

There are also many different languages spoken too.

[edit on 27/7/2009 by lightchild]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Perhaps you didn't see what kind of site this is. It's a conspiracy site!!

Opinions and illusions vague or not are part and partial of conspiracies and that's what's going to be discussed.

And people on ATS know that their is a terrorist threat but it's etiology and solution is still up for debate. Debate is possible and healthy on ATS if your ideology doesn't get in the way of common sense.

I agree with you to some extent, but so many people ignore blatent obvious facts and spend hours discussing their own made-up theories. If they don't contradict reality 100% then fair enough as I also participate in those.

new topics

top topics

join