It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: Closing Lobbyist Loopholes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Closing Lobbyist Loopholes

This information is admittedly from a partisan source -- a White House blog.

Still, it outlines the steps being taken to make more transparent the contacts of lobbyists--both official and unofficial (like CEOs who make "casual" phone contacts with the funding agencies)--with the agencies responsible for funding the Recovery Act.

There is supposed to be quick reporting of these contacts on the internet, though I don't see a web address where one could find this information.

It is reassuring to know the Obama administration is taking seriously its commitment to greater transparency in government.

Some here on ATS would like to have the White House visitors' log published, but IMO not that many lobbyists have direct access to the President, though he does occasionally have meetings with groups of concerned individuals or organizations.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Some here on ATS would like to have the White House visitors' log published, but IMO not that many lobbyists have direct access to the President, though he does occasionally have meetings with groups of concerned individuals or organizations.

The only way to test your opinion is for him to release the logs. This will tell us if they are lobbyists or not. As far as loopholes, have you ever noticed that when politicians close one loophole, they always seem to open up a new one?

Do you have a clear definition of who Obama considers a lobbyist or how he defines the word lobbyist? Politicians are renowned for defining words according to their own terms.

Bill Clinton's definition of SEX comes to mind.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Do you have a clear definition of who Obama considers a lobbyist or how he defines the word lobbyist? Politicians are renowned for defining words according to their own terms.

I think his definition of lobbyist is partially provided in the link.

True, politicians have their ways of defining terms.

But I don't think Obama's contacts with lobbyists are the only contacts that should be of concern. It's also the secret deals different government officials, congressmen, and federal agencies make that also influence legislation. For example, the agencies responsible for disbursing the Recovery Act funds.

All presidents have some contact with lobbyists.

What the White House is trying to do is make these more transparent.

Again, I acknowledge that the White House is not exactly an unbiased source.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by Sestias]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I don't buy it. Lobbyists are to a politician like air is to mammals. There is no way that lobbyists are going to get kicked out of the white house.

This is complete and utter Bull Dunk!

Anyone that believes that this administration is really going to be transparent and not be influenced by lobbyists needs their heads examined.

new topics

top topics

join