It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Made In The USA With American Stupidity

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
This thread gave me a hearty laugh when I recalled some of Mark Twain's many quotes concerning the topic of "spellink wurdz"

Here are a few of my favorites.....

"I don't see any use in having a uniform and arbitrary way of spelling words. We might as well make all clothes alike and cook all dishes alike. Sameness is tiresome; variety is pleasing.

I have a correspondent whose letters are always a refreshment to me, there is such a breezy unfettered originality about his orthography. He always spells Kow with a large K.

Now that is just as good as to spell it with a small one. It is better. It gives the imagination a broader field, a wider scope. It suggests to the mind a grand, vague, impressive new kind of a cow."

~~~Mark Twain - speech at a spelling match, Hartford, Connecticut, May 12, 1875. Reported in the Hartford Courant, May 13, 1875
www.twainquotes.com...

"I never had any large respect for good spelling. That is my feeling yet. Before the spelling-book came with its arbitrary forms, men unconsciously revealed shades of their characters and also added enlightening shades of expression to what they wrote by their spelling, and so it is possible that the spelling-book has been a doubtful benevolence to us."

~~~Mark Twain - Mark Twain's Autobiography
www.twainquotes.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by thegreatobserver

I hear you. I believe it needs to be pointed out in all harshness to the US American people. They're becoming the ignorance joke of the world.

reply to post by grapesofraft

No hate for the land Bro'/sis..... This is only one example on a massive scale.....................How 'bout them there banks that were bankrupt, but now reaping massive profits again..........here's a hint, they never were bankrupt; they were just stealing from ignorant fat people that let them. No hate.

reply to post by ChemBreather

Thank You Chembreather! I am not kidding. I grew up in the States, and it's done nothing, but decline. Leading the race in fact. The PTB have created a nation of fat ignorant people who apparently have so much shame as they will not lift their heads from the sand.

They are, or soon will be the perfect brain dead wanna' look kool serfs.

reply to post by Kaifan

YES YES YES!!! That's exactly what I'm saying. We don't even know English anymore... It's Americaneaze.... We've let this happen to ourselves. Right now, in France the worker's are kidnapping CEO's, and threatening to blow up factories....................That's only over wages, and work... They do the same over education. Here in the States we sit in front of the boobtube, and actually listen to the MSM which are in 'cooperation with'/'subsidiary of'/'in partnership with' the same banks ripping us off..........We're letting the crooks tell us everything is alright while we are being ripped off by them.

reply to post by frey51

Sure, spelling errors, or is chembreather using the new, and improved americaneaze?

reply to post by pieman

No doubt, where you from?

In the States we aren't educated. Apparently, between Walter Kronkite, and Ronald Reagan they helped create a better atmosphere for americaneaze............they were the ones who brought the 'speaking to the common man' scheme....Instead of lead by example. ha ha ha, the last President couldn't even speak.

reply to post by Hazelnut

Hey, there you go!! maybe Wisconsineaze?

reply to post by frey51

Ha ha ha, yes, those stupid Europeans with their multilingual selves.....ha ha ha

reply to post by 5 oClock

Hey, I read about that somewhere. I guess as long as the first, and last letters are in the right place, the mind will still read the words correctly.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

Maybe it's actually a secret code? All those extra letters, if lined up properly, will pass along messages to someone nefarious...ooops, should I take that "u" out of nefarios? Like any good American would...

When an education system caters to the lowest and slowest for reasons of "self esteem", of course, we're going to have issues in short order. No surprise, really...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Decker Supply Jobs

Shipping Supervisro, 2nd Shift
Black & Decker - Mira Loma, CA
Shipping Coordinators, as directed. WORKING RELATIONSHIPS: Works closely with Supply Planning, Customer and Consumer Service, Plant Materials, and external...
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 03:38:11 GMT
Source: Black & Decker
Links: Find more Black & Decker jobs

Supervisro?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

Hey, I understand you just fine. I think language is important to know...correctly, but I also believe it is in some essence like a living being; open for growth, and change.

reply to post by Kaifan

It was a study somewhere; as long as all the correct letters are present, no extras, the first, and last in their correct spots, the mind will process the correct word.

reply to post by Remixtup

Hey, no that's some good advice/opinion. I agree. However, it was more than one person's spelling error.

Anything that the state deals with has lots of people paid to watch.... Meaning other people watched the stupid sign go up......

reply to post by Solomons

Ha ha ha, the grammer nazi...

reply to post by Amagnon

Yes, my new phrase....... I'll bet the Colbert Report would love to have your phrase....'Pyramid Of Incompetence'

reply to post by Snisha

I'd wonder what Mark Twain would have said, had he lived today, and seen that sign? Now that'd be funny!!!

reply to post by seagull

Short order? ha ha ha, I can only imagine the long term effects. I remember the movie with chevy chase........maybe Lampoon's Family European Vacation?.... That was back in the 80's, and American's were already a joke. Now, it's even worse. We're considered the 'mentally' challenged war monger's. ha ha ha

reply to post by JBA2848

I don't know what you posted... Is that the same company in the article? No doubt the company in the article made a boo boo, but so did many State of Wisconsin workers who didn't bother to notice.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amagnon
Ah - all the result of just one guy you think? So was it the person who wrote it out, or copied it - or the supervisor, or the guys who installed it??

Sounds like a pyramid of incompetence to me.

Exactly. The sign was looked at by a large number of people. Even if the company didn't notice the mistakes, there had to have been a supervisor who looked over the sign when it came in and several more who had to install the sign. No one said, "Hey Earl, we can't put up this sign because it's all spelled wrong."

Spelling and grammar mistakes on the internet are way too common and must reflect on the state of our education. This site is as bad or worse than many others. I blame it in part on a lack of reading in this country. If you read regularly, you see how words are spelled and how sentences are properly constructedr. Typos are forgiveable, we all do it, but to constantly mispell words is just plain sad.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by bagari

Are "state of affairs" is right where the PTB want us. Stupid! They want a society which will blindly follow orders, and go into any war without question.

I'd only wonder how well we'll do in 'any' war with mindless drones.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Perhaps the company that made the sign was working from a work order from the state. Perhaps the state misspelled the words on the work order, and the company followed their order to the tee.

Too much missing info to indict the company, imo. But I agree, the state of US public education is deplorable, thanks in large part to the NEA.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones
reply to post by bagari

Are "state of affairs" is right where the PTB want us. Stupid! They want a society which will blindly follow orders, and go into any war without question.

I really don't understand this type of thinking. So, 'the PTB' determine how literate you will be so that you will accept and fight in their wars?

Who designs these mindless works of technology that are drones, if everyone is illiterate?

Ever hear of self-education? Private schools? Home schooling?

Don't use the 'PTB' cop-out as an excuse. Your life is in your own hands.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegreatobserver
Yeah, that's funny!
But besides that, the situation is rather sad. I'm glad that I have been raised with a different educational system outside of this country. So, I have the comparison between different educational systems and I have to admit the public school system in the US is a little bit more than a joke.

Here people decide to go to college to party.....not to get an education!

In my social psychology class, everyone was asked to anonymously turn in a note card responding to why they were at college. I was the only one to say "to learn."

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Really? Do you, and others, not have a brain to think with? Uneducated doesn't, in anyway, neccessarily equate to stupid. Never has, and never will. People are well able to decide for themselves without having the ability to read word one.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Absolutely agree.

I can imagine telling my father that I could not perform X because of 'TPTB'.

I wouldn't be able to sit for a week.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones
reply to post by bagari

I really don't understand this type of thinking. So, 'the PTB' determine how literate you will be so that you will accept and fight in their wars?

Who designs these mindless works of technology that are drones, if everyone is illiterate?

Ever hear of self-education? Private schools? Home schooling?

Don't use the 'PTB' cop-out as an excuse. Your life is in your own hands.

It seems many people, even here on ATS have the state of mind that reminds me of this...

Person 1 taps Person 2 on the shoulder.
Person 2: "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - DONT KILL ME YOU POWER HUNGRY SOB".
Person 1: "Can I have a dollar?"
Person 2:"YES, TAKE ALL MY MONEY!"

You see, the problem with person 2 is that he has no self control. It is someone else's fault for robbing them...that big bully number one!

I do not attend a "public" school, but like most things, if a parent wants their kids to be successful, they would encourage them to do so.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Something I dont think was mentioned about America's so called falling behind the rest of the world in the intelligence of their youth. The biggest reason there is a disparity in numbers is that the US includes mostly all of its children in the numbers, in other countries, all people are not given education and only the best and brightest are included in the standardized testing.....look beyond the numbers.....love the twain quotes though.... John Dewey is another good one

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
I find it ironic that this thread, which comes out blasting with both barrels at our educational system, contains so many grammatical and punctuation errors that I stopped counting at 15. Truly proof that the inmates have taken over the asylum.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join