It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seceret Space Shuttles Revieled

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Hang on a minute....

According to most accounts, STS-51C’s payload was ORION, an eavesdropping satellite for signals intelligence. Parked in geosynchronous orbit, it unfurled a dish almost as wide as a football field is long
(emp mine)

I thought a geosynchronous orbit was far beyond what the shuttle could achieve

I thought the maximum altitude was less than 400 miles and geo sync orbits begin a lot higher

The Shuttle Is limited to what is essentially, Low Earth Orbit (LEO).

You missed the part in the article where it states that the Inertial Upper Stage (IUS) was used to put the payload into a Geosynchronous orit.

The IUS is a booster motor mounted to the payload, before the Shuttle launches, and is used to lift the payload from LEO to its ultimate orbit at GEO (Geosynchronous Earth Orbit) once released from the Shuttle's payload bay..

There was some very heated debate in the development of the IUS: It was argued that it was too dangerous to have a fully fueled booster rocket housed in the Shuttle's payload bay with a manned crew aboard.

I guess necessity breeds concession.

And the dish used by the satellite is folded up, kind of like an umbrella, while it's stowed in the payload bay. It doesn't unfold to its operational size until it's parked in its final orbit.

jra

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

It is, but the Shuttle can still deploy satellites into Geosync orbit without going to that orbit itself, just like it can send the Galileo probe to Jupiter while remaining in low Earth orbit.

They use what's called the Inertial upper stage to place satellites in orbits the shuttle can't get to.

EDIT: Looks like Bhadhidar beat me to it.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by jra]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bhadhidar
And the dish used by the satellite is folded up, kind of like an umbrella, while it's stowed in the payload bay. It doesn't unfold to its operational size until it's parked in its final orbit.

Well I figured that bit!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Kevin_X2

Autowrench:
Well, by using the word "classified," they are saying "secret from we the people." I would say spy satellites, for one thing, are being deployed, and as I have said before, I think the Space Station, if there is just one, is a lot more than we have been led to believe. I think they are building a computer operated, space based weapons system in orbit above us, and we don't really know which way the weapons, rumored to be Beam type and other exotic weaponry. I cannot prove this, and I have no supporting links or hard evidence. This is just a theory based on researched material and talks with several individuals that I will not name.

My feeling is this is a weapons system to fight the Annunnaki, or perhaps the Reptilians, both of whom have been said to be returning. It is also widely believed that the being known as Jesus the Christ will appear, and a war on Earth and in Heaven will occur. Perhaps they have aimed those weapons at us, the people of Earth. We just cannot yet see what NASA and the Air Force is really up to out there. Thanks for listening.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
After the public was treated to the highly publicized, televised early space shuttle launches, we began to hear about other launches either right before or right after or maybe never made the news. We heard it said that those launches were for the military.

There was anticipation about Vandenberg AFB launches, but that was never to be.

I enjoyed reading this article. Here is another article, from 1990.
creeped me out a little

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Hahaha...

I cannot believe some of you people did not know about this stuff.

You do not create 18,000 pieces of space junk by going on simple NASA missions.

F. Y. I. - When my father had to work on base, I used to accompany him during his night shifts. I practically grew up in a naval hanger. If I knew I wouldn't get into trouble, I would show everyone some cool @ss photos. When a certain call went out, the hanger became off limits from all civilians. Even though I did not see anything directly, I knew what they were doing.

What I am getting at - You don't hang out in a military hanger without learning the responsibility for secrecy. NASA is doing an awesome job on keeping the most sensitive of missions out of the public's sight. If the military leaks some mission details out, I think it would be a morale booster for the public.

Now you know why I don't buy into "Its a UFO!" I have seen man made stuff that will make your head spin.

[edit on 28-7-2009 by Pathos]

[edit on 28-7-2009 by Pathos]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

That's why the article mentions the fact that they used an Inertial Upper Stage after deployment. The IUS is what put the satellite into its final geosynchronous orbit. The shuttle also launched Galileo, but obviously it can't go to Jupiter itself; it just served as the inital platform for the probe to get into orbit.

*sorry JRA, missed your post, beat me to it.

[edit on 28-7-2009 by ngchunter]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
The ISS, even in its infancy, was easily visible with a good pair of binoculars.

To those of you claim that there are secret space stations, where's the evidence? Why haven't you gone and collected it first-hand?

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
I think the Space Station, if there is just one, is a lot more than we have been led to believe. I think they are building a computer operated, space based weapons system in orbit above us... This is just a theory based on researched material and talks with several individuals that I will not name...

I have been an ISS mission controller since June, 1999. The ISS is exactly as advertised, and has no weapon capability whatsoever. Of course I don't think this will sway you in any way. I've long stopped trying to rationalize people out of irrational beliefs.

Originally posted by autowrench
My feeling is this is a weapons system to fight the Annunnaki, or perhaps the Reptilians, both of whom have been said to be returning. It is also widely believed that the being known as Jesus the Christ will appear, and a war on Earth and in Heaven will occur. Perhaps they have aimed those weapons at us, the people of Earth. We just cannot yet see what NASA and the Air Force is really up to out there. Thanks for listening.

This is HILARIOUS. I'm going to share it with some NASA friends who are gonna get a kick out of this!

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
What they are not telling you is what they really did with Enterprise. The military would never ever let that bird go to waste. I heard long ago that she flies secret all military flights. The question is where does she take off from, where there are no prying eyes?

A base in the way out in ocean is my guess, Maybe on some remote island?

Enterprise was and always has been incapable of spaceflight. It was an in-atmosphere demonstrator only. It's currently located in Chantilly, Virginia where you can go see it for yourself.

Even if a secret shuttle were launched from a remote island it would still be visible for thousands of miles around.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Credulity Kills

The ISS is exactly as advertised, and has no weapon capability whatsoever.

Well, with the ONE toilet failing, and the CO2 scrubbers tripping the C/Bs, maybe autowrench has a point??

Joke.

Really, a 'high-tech weapons platform' should come with at LEAST two toilets, dontcha think???

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Why is it everyone is just ignoring the fact that Michael Cassutt, the one who wrote this report, is a novelist and television writer?

Is it more fun to speculate and dream of things hidden, instead of focusing on what lays before you?

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Really, a 'high-tech weapons platform' should come with at LEAST two toilets, dontcha think???

Actually, it does have two, one American, one Russian. They've both flaked out on occasion. Fortunately they're back up and running just fine.

The alternative to a working toilet is very unpleasant.

jra

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Credulity Kills
Even if a secret shuttle were launched from a remote island it would still be visible for thousands of miles around.

Plus the amount of infrastructure needed on the "remote island" to maintain and launch the shuttle would make it difficult to go unnoticed. You'd probably need something like the vehicle assembly building, a crawler to bring it to the launch pad, a decent sized runway for it to land. Not to mention the amount of personnel needed to run the place.

And just to go slightly off topic for a moment. You're an ISS mission controller? I had no idea, that's awesome.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Credulity Kills
To those of you claim that there are secret space stations, where's the evidence?

John Lenard Walson

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by yeebsy

You mean Virgin Galactic ??

Interestingly enough they made the news 2 days ago...

PARIS — An Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates, investment company has agreed to invest $280 million in Virgin Group's Virgin Galactic commercial space plane venture. The company, Aabar Investments PJSC, will take a 32 percent ownership share of Virgin Galactic and wants to develop the venture's satellite-launch potential in addition to its better-known suborbital space-tourism business, Virgin and Aabar announced July 28.

not that it is related but i thought i'd share......

Peace

top topics

<< 1   >>

join