It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seceret Space Shuttles Revieled

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Seceret Space Shuttles Revieled

www.airspacemag.com

During the flight, the Air Force lifted the veil of secrecy only to admit that the payload was successfully deployed, and that an Inertial Upper Stage was used.
According to most accounts, STS-51C’s payload was ORION, an eavesdropping satellite for signals intelligence. Parked in geosynchronous orbit, it unfurled a dish almost as wide as a football field is long (hence the need for the shuttle’s large payload bay) to listen in on ground communications and telemetry. No one involved with the mis
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.democraticunderground.com

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
This is a great piece. Really long, 6 pages, with tons of information on other secret missions. Its interesting that they can release this information to the public without anyone becoming outraged, but i guess that's the decentralized mess that is reliable public information.

I didn't read the whole thing, but i picked out some actual projects that were worked on in secrecy. Many to do with public surveillance.

On the other hand, the STS-4 payload, identified only as “P82-1,” didn’t impress Mattingly. “It was a rinky-dink collection of minor stuff they wanted to fly,” he recalls. P82-1 turned out to be the Cryonic InfraRed Radiance Instrumentation for Shuttle (CIRRIS) and the Ultraviolet Horizon Scanner (UHS), two sensors designed to test missile detection from space. A cover failed to open, so neither worked

Between 1982 and 1992, NASA launched 11 shuttle flights with classified payloads, honoring a deal that dated to 1969, when the National Reconnaissance Office—an organization so secret its name could not be published at the time—requested certain changes to the design of NASA’s new space transportation system. The NRO built and operated large, expensive reconnaissance satellites, and it wanted a bigger shuttle cargo bay than NASA had planned. The spysat agency also wanted the option to fly “once around” polar missions, which demanded more flexibility to maneuver for a landing that could be on either side of the vehicle’s ground track.

www.airspacemag.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Nice find.

I heard on a History Channel program that the Navy/Air Force has launches more than twice as much as NASA.

We don't get to know what is on those either.

Wouldn't it be great if they went up in a space shuttle for all of us to see, then parked it and got out in a UFO!
lol

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I have heard a rumor several years ago, that we actually have a private company sending payloads for the military into orbit. The private company operates out of Mojave, Ca and is called scaled composites.

Is there any data that would support this rumor.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Scaled composites is a company founded by a guy called Burt Rutan (the company was called the Rutan Aircraft Factory.

Richard Branson also has something to do with it.

www.scaled.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Hang on a minute....

According to most accounts, STS-51C’s payload was ORION, an eavesdropping satellite for signals intelligence. Parked in geosynchronous orbit, it unfurled a dish almost as wide as a football field is long
(emp mine)

I thought a geosynchronous orbit was far beyond what the shuttle could achieve

I thought the maximum altitude was less than 400 miles and geo sync orbits begin a lot higher

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by yeebsy

I believe i read about this when it first happened, but then immediately forgot. the only recent info i can find is this:

Based on current claims, it looks as though Branson's Virgin Galactic will be the first of these so-called 'new space' companies to take paying customers into space. While it has not set a date for first flights, the company is already taking bookings for $200,000 flights aboard its six-passenger spacecraft SpaceshipTwo and is expected to unveil the vehicle for the first time later this year. This is all the more remarkable considering that three engineers working on the project were killed during an explosion in 2007. Based on the design of Burt Rutan's X-prize-winning SpaceshipOne, the vehicle will be launched from a mothership — WhiteKnightTwo — which is currently undergoing rigorous, high-altitude test flights. Both have been constructed in the Mojave desert in New Mexico by The Spaceship Company (TSC), a manufacturing enterprise established by Virgin and Burt Rutan's Scaled Composites.

the engineer

really exciting things going on in "the private sector" and this article provides some detail. maybe we'll get to take those trips into space after all. One adventure is listed at $200,000 which is at the moment above my budget but not all that much money really.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by earlywatcher

That's old, public news. The stuff I'm interested in is the classified shuttles and rockets being sent into space with classified payloads. Commercial Spaceflight is a sham that will never get off the ground at the rate its going.

But, to think that the government could establish its own, more sophisticated Space station without the public ever knowing is pretty cool.

If they can put a satellite in Geosynch that's wider then a football field in the 80s, where do the possibilities end?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
ok I just read the whole thing and thought it was a great article.

But, I am wondering one thing. Have, or can any of these claims be backed up from other sources?

I find the thread title a bit deceiving since the source of this article is Michael Cassutt is a novelist and television writer in Studio City, California.

heres his IMDB page www.imdb.com...

Unless I'm missing something, how is this guy a credible source?
I do have to admit it got my imagination running lol

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

I think anyone can go, last I heard the cost was 30,000. It may have been a different flight capsule?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kevin_X2
If they can put a satellite in Geosynch that's wider then a football field in the 80s, where do the possibilities end?

I'm still fairly certain that a shuttle (as we know them of course) cannot place an object that far out... Well I guess they could get up into a high orbit for the shuttle, set it up and then send it on it's way with other boosters.

And if you think a dish the size of a mere football field is cool then look how big they want to make solar sails! -The real ones will be 100''s of times that big... Maybe they are planning a smaller test of one some time.

But what I'm really saying is there is no current way to have a manned mission to that sort of geo sync altitude known to the public - that far out is unmanned rockets and payloads - much cheeper and safer, better all round. Edit: NASA wet their pants going out to the Hubble the last time and that's in a low earth orbit.

[edit on 27/7/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Kevin_X2

oh absolutely! they are miles ahead of anything that leaks to us, but sadly i was unaware even of the old public news

it would be very interesting to know what's really going on. i read years ago Tom Bearden who says that undoubtedly earth based ships are sipping around the solar system using very cheap energy that they won't reveal to the rest of us because it would be the end of the stranglehold they have everyone who needs to buy power. he believes that's the real reason for nondisclosure. just like the problem tesla had.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Interesting that this Orion satellite is roughly the same size as the ISS.

It should be fairly clear in the sky like the ISS is.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashodi

I agree with you entirely! Even by looking at his list of credits, we have Farscape, Andromeda, Odyssey 5, and Stargate... all space related themes; as technical as those shows are, it would stand to reason that the guy would have done some research.

Then we have episodes of the Twilight Zone, Outer Limits, Eerie Indiana, Misfits of Science, Max Headroom, and Seaquest; again, sci-fi related material.

Methinks people should look at the source of this information before accepting it as gospel.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

One is 36000 km above the equator, the other less than 360 km above ground.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nablator

I missed the 36000 km bit, my bad

That would explain why it wouldn't be easily spotted then.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Interesting that this Orion satellite is roughly the same size as the ISS.

It should be fairly clear in the sky like the ISS is.

The ISS is close, it literally skips the outer reaches of the atmosphere - they have to compensate with boosts to raise it up slightly.

This thing (not saying it's there or not) is like 10 times further away from the surface of the Earth if not more in order to be in a geostatonary orbit (I would need to reasearch to give a closer figure)

Also I think what gives the ISS it's brightness has a lot to do with the solar panels - if all you need is a dish (and you have another poser scource on board) you could easily make the dish non reflective to light waves, your only after the radio waves.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeebsy
Scaled composites is a company founded by a guy called Burt Rutan (the company was called the Rutan Aircraft Factory.

Richard Branson also has something to do with it.

www.scaled.com...

Your avy looks like Richard Branson without hair ! lol

Wasn't sure if that is intentional or not.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
What they are not telling you is what they really did with Enterprise. The military would never ever let that bird go to waste. I heard long ago that she flies secret all military flights. The question is where does she take off from, where there are no prying eyes?

A base in the way out in ocean is my guess, Maybe on some remote island?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

I heard long ago that she flies secret all military flights.

Well, that'd be awfully difficult, considering it's on display at the Steven Udvar-Hazy Center annex of the National Air and Space Museum, just outside Dulles Airport, in Chantilly, Virginia:

Space Shuttle Enterprise

On January 31, 1977, it was taken by road to Dryden Flight Research Center at Edwards Air Force Base, to begin operational testing.

While at NASA Dryden, Enterprise was used by NASA for a variety of ground and flight tests intended to validate aspects of the shuttle program. The initial nine-month testing period was referred to by the acronym ALT, for "Approach and Landing Test". These tests included a maiden "flight" on February 18, 1977 atop a Boeing 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft (SCA) to measure structural loads and ground handling and braking characteristics of the mated system. Ground tests of all orbiter subsystems were carried out to verify functionality prior to atmospheric flight.

The mated Enterprise/SCA combination was then subjected to five test flights with Enterprise unmanned and unactivated. The purpose of these test flights was to measure the flight characteristics of the mated combination. These tests were followed with three test flights with Enterprise manned to test the shuttle flight control systems.

Finally, Enterprise underwent five free flights where the craft separated from the SCA and was landed under astronaut control. These tests verified the flight characteristics of the orbiter design and were carried out under several aerodynamic and weight configurations.

Flight Test, 13 Sept. 1977

Note the rear fairing. That is in place because there are no ENGINES!!! It is to compensate and simulate the airflow on a space-worthy vehicle.

---------

Retirement

With the completion of critical testing, Enterprise was partially disassembled to allow certain components to be reused in other shuttles, then underwent an international tour visiting France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom, Canada, and the U.S. states of California, Alabama, and Louisiana (during the 1984 Louisiana World Exposition). It was also used to fit-check the never-used shuttle launch pad, SLC-6 at Vandenberg AFB, California. Finally, on November 18, 1985, Enterprise was ferried to Washington, D.C., where it became property of the Smithsonian Institution.

Source

[edit on 27 July 2009 by weedwhacker]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join