You have every right in the world to whoop ya kid's..PLZ start I am sick of all the punk's

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28 >>

join

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by RogerT

Wrong. He doesn't need anything. However, as an obviously loving and caring parent, I feel sure that he suffers whenever he feels he must strike his daughter. My conviction is that this is unnecessary suffering for both of them. My suggestion was a recommendation, not a requirement.

At NO POINT have I said I want to or have hit my daughter, please do not misrepresent me. I have infact gone to great lengths to show that I have no feeling of that way towards my child.

I have merely suggested that if I had a child that was badly behaved if I felt nothing else was working I might decide on a smack and see what difference that makes.

If you feel the need to bend facts into lies then there's something wrong with your argument.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by Mclaneinc]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Mclaneinc

My apologies.

As an advocator of spanking, I had assumed you engaged in the action yourself.

I misread the line where you say 'I agree with the occasional smack' to mean you have done so with your daughter.

It was an inaccurate assumption, thank you for the correction

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
As someone beaten by my stepdad and older brother growing up, I am absolutely against this.

you should never hit a child (or anyone), and punishment should never be physical. there are better, more effective ways to discipline your children. hitting them just builds up resentment and fear.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by Donnie Darko]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

My apologies.

As an advocator of spanking, I had assumed you engaged in the action yourself.

I misread the line where you say 'I agree with the occasional smack' to mean you have done so with your daughter.

It was an inaccurate assumption, thank you for the correction

Just as proof, on page 18 of this thread, 3rd paragraph "We have NEVER had to hit our daughter", this is from my original post.

As I have said before, I would try every option I had with a child before trying a smack, I firmly believe I can read and then make the child understand their mistake.

But there's one thing I don't understand, everyone is jumping on any person who on a rare occasion MIGHT smack a child as being a terrible person. Personally I've seen much worse from some parents who verbally terrorise their children, people who mentally abuse that child with threats which leaves a far worse scar on the child...

Beating isn't the only form of scarring a child...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mclaneinc

But there's one thing I don't understand, everyone is jumping on any person who on a rare occasion MIGHT smack a child as being a terrible person. Personally I've seen much worse from some parents who verbally terrorise their children, people who mentally abuse that child with threats which leaves a far worse scar on the child...

What I don't understand:

a parent such as yourself who knows by their own experience that it is perfectly possible, and actually not that difficult, to deal non-violently with a child and still raise a loving, respectful human being .... why would you advocate any form of scarring a child (your words), even on a rare occasion?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

I don't agree with "whupping". I grew up with "whuppings", and the only thing it did was create fear and hate. I feared my dad, I did not respect him, I hated him for his abuses.

I do not spank my children. They are loving, respectful, compassionate and highly intelligent as I have found ways to guide them and discipline them that does not include physical violence.

IMO people who choose physical punishment for their children, are people who do not want to take the time to find other ways of working with their children. It takes someone who is intelligent and actually wants to teach their children real life values, real life ways of dealing with conflict that does not include violence, and like it or not, physical punishment is violence.

I also agree that a parent who chooses physical punishment, is a lazy parent.

Originally posted by muzzleflash
My kid loved writing on the walls, and all of your new age hippy techniques NEVER PUT AN END TO IT!

How about this... my youngest loved to draw on things as well, walls, tables, floor etc. He had to clean up his own messes, without my help, then I bought him his own drawing books (artist sketch books) and gave him. We have many of them all over the house. I then, on his wall, painted a chalk board which he was a part of creating. He as well has a marker board that wipes clean that is available to him to use in our main room. Since I did these things, not once has he drawn on anything other than what he is allowed to draw on. Instead of telling him NO NO NO and spanking him, I gave him appropriate places to draw on. DUH DUR!!

Give your children "choices". He then had the choice to draw on appropriate areas, or have the consequences of having all drawing utensils (pens, pencils, crayons, markers etc.) locked away.

Not ONCE since we implemented these new items, has he drawn on anything else that he is not allowed to draw on. This was many years ago and has worked wonderfully. And it was all done without spanking him.

Spanking children does not teach them to think for themselves, nor will you get true respect from your children, it teaches them fear and anger and hate. I want to teach my children to think for themselves, and to have true respect for me thank you very much.

Someone earlier was talking about their child reaching for the stove multiple times, I agree that the swat on the hand was a good idea in the case of the child being harmed. But here is another idea that I used with both my children. I will use my daughter as she is my oldest in this explanation. When she was about 1 she kept doing the same thing. After about her 4th try to grab the stove, I picked her up, I pointed to the stove and said HOT HOT HOT OOOWWWIIIEEE. I then took a very small piece of paper, and put it on the burner. Of course it burned. My little one just looked and looked, put her head on my shoulder and said owie. I nodded and said do not touch. She never touched the burner, I did not have to spank her, and she did not have to get burned to learn the lesson that the stove could be dangerous.

About the electrical outlet issue, how about buying those protective covers? That is what I did, never ever had one issue with either of my children trying to "electrocute" themselves. When they were old enough, I talked with them about how they could be electrocuted if they put something they were not supposed to in them. Before that, they could not access the outlets.

Kailassa, that was funny, throwing a fit right along with your grand child. What made me laugh when I read that is I did the same thing with my son. He was about 2ish? 3ish?, we were in the grocery store and he started throwing a fit, so I started throwing one with him. He stopped and looked at me as if I had gone crazy. A few weeks later we were in the store again, and he started throwing a fit again, so I as well started throwing a fit. I got down on the floor and stared banging my hands on the floor, crying and basically copying what he was doing. He stopped and just watched me. After a moment, I stopped, grinned at him and asked "now that was lovely wasn't it?" and he shook his head no and said something along the lines of "ugly". After that, he never threw another fit.

And for those who are saying children without discipline do not do well in school, I completely agree with that statement. BUT, I do not agree that discipline=physical punishment.

And, Time Outs do work, if used correctly and immediately.

irishchic, threats do not work, if you use threats, they know you do not mean it. Threats do not work, discipline, without physical punishment does work if done correctly.

Originally posted by Tayesin
... so what do you do then when they spit in your face, or tell you to F-Off, or any other worst behaviour scenario you can think of?

My youngest child, is hyperactive. I still do not use physical violence with him, nor do I use drugs with him.

I am positive that if I chose a different route with him, he would be one to "spit" in someones face. He is a strong personality, and has been since the day he was born.

Because of the way I have raised him, he would never "spit" in someones face, and I do not use physical violence with him. Start young, discipline them in a loving way, and they will not turn into "spitters".

Come on people, think, use the intelligence we have as humans.

Violence, begets violence.

Sigh.... and yes... I am "friends" with my children, but they know first and foremost.... I am their parent. Yes, they know that they can come and talk with me about anything, and that yes we will sit around and laugh and giggle at nonsense and joke around, but they know that I am their parent first and their friend second. Goodness, I am just blown away at people who do not understand that concept. I can do more than one thing at a time, it is called using my brain.

Originally posted by Sheeple
reply to post by prevenge

Children who have never been hit in their lives still have the capacity to hit others - and are often the first to do so, as they have yet to learn that how much hitting hurts, and have an overall lack of empathy about it, until the day someone DOES hit them back.

Excuse me? I don't hit my children, and they are far more compassionate and empathetic than children I know who's parent DO spank them. When my youngest was little, very little, probably around one and a half if that old, he did as little ones will sometimes do, and reached over and smacked me. Do you know what I did? I started "crying" and saying owie owie that hurt booo hoooo no hitting. Do you know what he did? HE started crying, and gave me a BIG BIG hug saying sowwy sowwy mommy. He has never hit anyone again, and stands up to bullies at school protecting himself and others. I did not have to hit him to teach him that hitting hurts, I used a moment in life that happens, to teach him. He remembered that lesson far more, than if I had hit (spanked) him, and said no hitting.

Sorry pro spanking folks, I have a teenager, and I have no problems with her, and I don't spank. She is a great person, compassionate, empathetic, highly intelligent, and I cannot come up with enough positive words to describe her. How did this happen? Not with violence that is for darn sure. My children prove to me that love, meaning what you say, discipline that does not include physical punishment, apologizing to them when you make a mistake, WORKS and works awesomely if used correctly.

It sincerely saddens me to see how many people feel that physically harming your children is the way to go.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by amazed

I'd like to give you a star for every point you made and another for every solution you offered.

Clearly, you are a parent with both compassion and imagination.

I'll bet there are still numbnuts who will post 'yeah but, that wouldn't work with my kid'.

The urge to express violence and exercise control and power over others is so compulsive, especially for those of us who've been taught to do so, that people will work very hard to justify it.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

What I don't understand:

a parent such as yourself who knows by their own experience that it is perfectly possible, and actually not that difficult, to deal non-violently with a child and still raise a loving, respectful human being .... why would you advocate any form of scarring a child (your words), even on a rare occasion?

I don't advocate it and yet again feel it's a cheap shot to warp words to suit, I merely said there IS physical scarring but I didn't advocate it.

I have said that there are man ways to abuse a child in an OTT fashion, be it verbal, mental or physical abuse. I repeat, over the top ie deliberate unneeded attacks meant to frighten and only serve to make the attacker feel good about him or herself.

What annoys is that the ultra PC people here are taking any person who said they might smack as a test of reaction or were smacked as kids be it once or twice as evil demons out to abuse the child in it's formative years. What utter tosh, yes there are BAD parents for who whom screaming, shouting, swearing, threats of hitting and slaps are an every day thing, I actually have a lady who lives in our block that you can hear daily screaming at her two sons, she swears, makes threats and tries any mental threat she can. Does it work, er NO, the eldest boy just laughs in her face.

It does anger me that someone who and I praise them for it, has never hit their kids would try and demonise my parents for 2 small smacks over my life as a child, they were from an era where you were beaten for anything yet did they turn that past on me, no, I got 2 smacks for some very bad mouthing and refusing to do my chores.

Do I think that they were warped nasty people looking to ruin my life..NO

And I think no one has the right to judge them above me!

I just think there are too many looking to judge perfectly normal people who have no hate in them that might think that if all else fails that a light smack could be tried and the effect analysed. These people are not animals to judge, they made a choice with a difficult child to check all reasonable avenues open to them, they are not child beaters looking for a bit of fun, if people can't see the difference then they should not debate this issue.

There are many people who abuse their children without ever touching them, do these people get a vote of confidence from the no smacking brigade?

I'm proof that being smacked as a child on the rare occasion does not lead to a disturbed child beater, I like many many other parents look to analyse the situation and render it solved by a non violent solution, we try and explain the problem and make the child see where they are wrong and point them to not making the same mistake in the future.

Later in life for some young adults, words may not be enough between other young adults but before that I'll give my daughter the best start from behaviour and manners POV.

All this makes me laugh at some points, to quote Al Capone in the film The Untouchables, "Sometimes you get further with a kind word and a gun than just with a kind word".

Am I the parent with the psychological gun, no...But there are many others that are be it with verbal, physical or mental shots...

[edit on 4-8-2009 by Mclaneinc]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   

It really doesn't look like we disagree on this issue too much, the difference is very subtle. I'm certainly not sitting here at the level of antagonism you seem to apply to me.

Are you sure you are not over-reacting suggesting that the anti-smacking element in the thread are labelling the pro-smacking element as demonic?

The most common label I have seen is 'lazy'. Personally, I don't think is universally accurate, and 'unaware' fits the picture far better for the most part.

If someone is aware that non-violent alternatives are available, and actually more effective, and still opts for the smack, then 'compulsive' or 'out of control' fits.
If someone is aware that non-violent alternatives are probably available, but still opts for the smack rather than seeking out a non-violent approach, then 'lazy' would seem to fit.

From the tone of most of the pro-smacking posts (yours excluded), I'd say 'unaware' fits quite well, as very few have been able to agree that non-violent alternatives exist or are even possible UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.

As I've said many times already, parents who smack are not necessarily 'bad', they just lack awareness for the most part, even if just for the duration of the violent interraction. That's just human.

[edit on 4/8/09 by RogerT]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Yeah I used to get my butt smacked, I got the belt a lot. I agree parents need to dicipline their kids. Not just with spankings, but many other things as well. That is why there are so many punks today. Think about it, people weren't this bad back in the day and that is because more parents were on top of their kids. No a days parents want to be friends and that is just not the way to go!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   

It really doesn't look like we disagree on this issue too much, the difference is very subtle. I'm certainly not sitting here at the level of antagonism you seem to apply to me.

From the tone of most of the pro-smacking posts (yours excluded), I'd say 'unaware' fits quite well, as very few have been able to agree that non-violent alternatives exist or are even possible UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES.
[edit on 4/8/09 by RogerT]

If there's antagonism it's merely down to me being declared as smacking my child by yourself and then another sets of words twisted to suit. That's hardly going to make for a totally civil chat.

I also don't like the wording of Pro-Smacking, it instantly declares being part of a group who go from being my POV to a scumbag who enjoys hitting kids, I don't share the same gene's as those scum.

Lets say I am Pro-positive parenting and open to evaluating non destructive issues with badly behaved children.

There's plenty of data that a constantly smacked / beaten child will have issues when they grow up, that's even IF they grow up and I'd be totally thick If I didn't acknowledge the the FACT in that and because of that I'd NEVER do it to a child. But is there any evidence that a child who was lightly disciplined ie a smack maybe once or twice in their childhood ever grew up with any issues, I'd doubt there is any tbh.

And as always I repeat that there are those that will say I never smack but use far worse ways to control their child, I guide my child, I don't control her. Those poor kids have no physical scars but have deep mental ones and those parents get away with it 99% of the time because of no physical evidence.

Those people need addressing too and in my book are far worse in some cases.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Going back to the OP initial point, are we feed up with badly behaved punks (some from as little as 9) who constantly disrespect, intimidate, harm and generally have no good purpose in society.

Well I'd say it's a massive YES, we are feed up with them, when a kid the same age as my daughter stands there smoking weed and threatening me with a knife and screaming foul language I'd say I'm pretty feed up with it.

Now, who do we blame for these problems, I'd choose for the largest part the parent/s with some genuine exceptions. There was a gun bust in a local borough recently, a 12yr old was known to be part of a gang and the gang had the kid store their guns at his address. So the Police break the door down and the Mother says there are no guns there, soon they are pulling guns from all over the house and it became very clear that the Mother knew of this and supported her son being part of the gang because she thought they would look after them.

Great Parenting, that kid is already a body bag that WILL happen at some point.

My experience of the parents around here is that they are mirror images of the kids, the kid screams racial abuse because mummy and daddy (if there is one at home) also scream racial abuse. I watched a neighbour feed his 6yr old a glass of beer, when asked why I got 'it won't hurt him, will put hairs on his chest'....Amazing!

So yes, in my area I quite happily blame the parents as their kids are mere clones of what they did.

Now the question is, if discipline and learning could have been introduced into those households would the kids be the same even from the same bad core parents?

Initial problem is that these sorts of parents are already belting the kids, normally after getting drunk of high or as they are on their downer so discipline already is destroyed and would be hard to reintroduce as the kid just thinks discipline means 'whooping' but it would not be impossible.

Could learning be introduced, in these area's near me it's unlikely as a HIGH level of the people are already of a seriously low level of education.

So, there you have it, we as a people have become far too soft and stupid in places, the children grow up as did their parents with a sort of family pride of continuing the tradition. Where years ago children would have been NOTHING like these kids, not because the kids were beaten daily, yes there would have been smacks I'm sure but more importantly the parents strove no matter their wealth of status to be better than they were and that meant civility, education, manners and the willing to work damn hard from an early age.

Now, we see young adults at every corner drunk or drugged during the day refusing to work or support their families or even look after themselves. Even those who stay away from drugs and drink often find themselves sitting indoors on the internet or playing console games, the drive to learn and better themselves has long gone.

In my early life there was always the running joke of never wanting to end up working for McDonalds because it was the lowest form of work to teens, you wanted work but in the best job you could get, all that's gone now, kids think about dossing around if allowed and if they work it just goes to fund their lifestyle.

I truly fear for this world, I see Escape From New York type city sized prisons as being a reality sooner rather than later, we have enough youth in many places that no longer have the drive, never had the drive and not wanting to better themselves that only leads to a mass ghetto where life for ALL deteriorates into a lawless no go area.

I truly see this happening, it's already a fact in many places, it WILL spread..

[edit on 5-8-2009 by Mclaneinc]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   

If there's antagonism it's merely down to me being declared as smacking my child by yourself and then another sets of words twisted to suit. That's hardly going to make for a totally civil chat.

Oh for goodness sake, get over yourself. I made a mistake, admitted it and apologised, what's with the grudge?

I also don't like the wording of Pro-Smacking, it instantly declares being part of a group who go from being my POV to a scumbag who enjoys hitting kids, I don't share the same gene's as those scum.

You say it's ok to smack kids, that makes you pro-smacking. Where's the confusion here?

Yes, there's a scale of violence, just as there is a scale of financial wealth, or a scale of physical fitness, but violence is still violence, just as money is money and muscle tone is muscle tone.

Lets say I am Pro-positive parenting and open to evaluating non destructive issues with badly behaved children.

Very good.

So could you finally clarify your position on disciplining children through physical violence in the form of smacking, as each time you post I get more confused about where you actually stand on the matter. If someone else is less confused, maybe they could help out here?!?!?

There's plenty of data that a constantly smacked / beaten child will have issues when they grow up, that's even IF they grow up and I'd be totally thick If I didn't acknowledge the the FACT in that and because of that I'd NEVER do it to a child. But is there any evidence that a child who was lightly disciplined ie a smack maybe once or twice in their childhood ever grew up with any issues, I'd doubt there is any tbh.

No argument from me on that but I guess if you are implying one then you still haven't understand even the basics of my position.

And as always I repeat that there are those that will say I never smack but use far worse ways to control their child, I guide my child, I don't control her. Those poor kids have no physical scars but have deep mental ones and those parents get away with it 99% of the time because of no physical evidence.

Those people need addressing too and in my book are far worse in some cases.

Totally agree. Shouting in anger is also a sign of unconsciousness, just one level before physical violence IMO

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I know many parents who wont spank their kids out of fear and believe me some of these kids need a pop on the butt. I remember in school the Principal was allowed to paddle you! Now you cant even spank your own kids. I personally believe this is one reason why so many kids now-a-days and brats and dont listen because there are no consequences to their actions. I was in a local store and this kid was being a total brat, yelling, throwing things out of the cart and the mother never raised her voice she just gave him candy! I was like wtf?! I would have got popped back at that age and you can bet I never would have said another word!! Spanking IMO is not bad and a little wont hurt anyone. Heck my mom had a wooden spoon and I knew when that came out I was in trouble. I also didnt grow up disrespecting adults like so many kids now-a-days. Seems like any kind of punishment you do today someone somewhere will turn you in for it.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Oh for goodness sake, get over yourself. I made a mistake, admitted it and apologised, what's with the grudge?

For goodness sake, you asked me why I may have seemed off, I told you why and now you throw a hissy fit over me doing what you asked.

You say it's ok to smack kids, that makes you pro-smacking. Where's the confusion here?

Yes, there's a scale of violence, just as there is a scale of financial wealth, or a scale of physical fitness, but violence is still violence, just as money is money and muscle tone is muscle tone.

Yes of course violence is violence but it HAS to be seen like with all of your examples on scales otherwise it's a total nonsense and you know that so I don't understand why you are trying to use this unless you really think I'm daft which I'm most certainly not.

So could you finally clarify your position on disciplining children through physical violence in the form of smacking, as each time you post I get more confused about where you actually stand on the matter. If someone else is less confused, maybe they could help out here?!?!?

Wow, still confused after all this time and explanation..Amazing..oh well...

As I have said many times before and for the last time because all this thread has turned into now is about your wish for to be right and all others to be below your level of expertise, intelligence and understanding.

Pretty arrogant if true..

My standing is the same as a large proportion of people of MY age or older, we bring our children up to learn, to enjoy and to have discipline and manners. We do this using education, explanation and kindness, we might try a smack if the child is very badly behaved as a simple test to see if that has a positive mini shock, as I've never had to do it I have no idea if it would work but I don't see it as a child altering thing because as I and others who were smacked lightly as kids have not turned into withdrawn people or the other extreme as a child beater that gets total pleasure from constantly hurting a child.

So yes, I'm pro smacking but as seen as it HAS to be on a long scale, I will not be lumped next to a violent child beater by a pocket shrink just because you like to say all violence is the same (shockingly daft).

What makes me laugh about the whole thread and I'not aiming this at you but there's been voices saying about how they never ever hit their children which is great but you have to wonder if there are any people in that set who use shouting instead, not a stern voice but full on shouting.

Sorry folks but if that applies to anyone of you then I'm afraid you are way past an odd smack as a kid, screaming at your kids does NOT work and is ultimately more damaging to the kid than slapping them silly.

What worries me about this ever more violent era is that far too many kids have no boundaries, no manners, no discipline and there are too many parents that just allow the kids to do as they like so they are not under their feet or giving them hell. That's incredibly lazy parenting and it's making sure there's a steady stream of trouble makers waiting to happen.

The times around here I've heard mostly mothers talking about their kids as 'a bit of tear away but a great kid'.......I'm sorry madam, your child is a druggy, into violent robbery, in a gang doing all those..

Just pick which applies but your child is everyone else's problem bar you and it's us others that get to meet him when he or she isn't being soo 'great and lovely'.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Just thought I would add the following so all the PC do-gooders can have a little read:

Physically punishing a child with a smack (or a kick) is NOT against the law, says senior woman judge

Parents can slap and even kick their children when chastising them, a senior judge said yesterday

'Slaps and even kicks vary enormously in their seriousness. A kick sounds particularly unpleasant, yet many a parent may have nudged their child's nappied bottom with their foot in gentle play, without committing an assault.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[edit on 7/8/09 by Death_Kron]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by amazed

i live with my girlfriend who had 3 daughters for 4 years her second olddest daughter wich by the age of 3 loved to draw and color she started drawing and coloring on the wall and herself and anything she could draw and color on. well i bought her a drawing board and coloring books even a little desk to put her books and papers on to color on. well she still found it fun every once in a while to draw on herself and the walls so i would take away her materials for a while and she would cry. well when ever i felt i should give them back for being good or whatever i made sure to tell her to remember not to draw on the walls or herself or anything other than the things shes supposted to draw on. well again every once in a while she found it fun to draw on the walls and on herself. and after a while taking away her things wasnt working it would just repeat the whole processe well i resorted to spanking and after the first time she never did it again. Thank you. Spanking is not violence. I can be inviolent while spanking. going into a rage and beating your kid that is violent.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Also i would like to Add that I was spanked for things i did wrong growing up. Im a pretty intelligent person, I'm not violent, I'm not in jail never have been, I dont use drugs, I graduated high school, and im actually probably one of the most laid back ppl you can meet. I have a brain i was taught to use it. i was actually spanked if i didnt use my brain. So what have we learned here? I dont think i need to answer that because people with half a brain can answer that question intelligently.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAmused

When you dont teach your kids respect they multiply into thug gangsters who think its cool to shoot up streets. Then you get up set when your kids get whacked by the government.

posted on Jul, 18 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
See, you want corpreal punishment for all children because of a few punks you ran into. what you forget is that your not running into the kids who are not punks, because they are home studying, or in school, or playing soccer.
So your advocating corpreal punishment for all children based on the few bad apples you run into.

Now remember that the next time you wonder what is wrong with the world.

new topics

<< 24  25  26    28 >>

join