It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever been Homeless?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech

Originally posted by greenfruit
Have to ask doesn't America have a welfare system. If so how does it work. Federal, State, Local levels.

This is gonna sound racist as hell, and first realize I am a card carrying
Native American and served along side ppl of all colors in the military.

The Welfare offices in most cities are now mostly black ppl running them.

It would appear the blacker you are, the easier it is to get help.

The whiter you are the less likely you are to get help UNLESS you are
a white girl with a black guy and have a kid.

I have not applied, but I know a few ppl that have, and have had
hateful things said to them while at the Welfare office.

My brother and his wife took YEARS to get on it and only after
a pastor at a church intervened.

I have never even applied for food stamps, came close a cpl of times,
but I always found work or get help from friends or relatives.

The projects are so bad thou, you really would not want to live there.

If I was given the choice of camping in the wilderness or living in
the projects I would not need a millisecond to decide.

If the black ppl have no problem shooting each other, you can damn
well bet they will think even less of others.

Respect to those who don't hate, but we are damn few these days.

Good Luck to you all !

Edit; with the following post I'm not attacking you or calling you racist or anything, I just want to point out my experience with this and show what you said isnt exactly true in my experience.

I don't know how it works where you live but here in CA as a black guy (I'm half black, but I'm still black regardless) myself this isnt exactly true. I was a homeless teenager with a pregnant girlfriend and was refused EVERYTHING. Even Medical or whatever. I was basically forced to join the marines to make money and get help, tbh. Literally, I could not find any work at all and the gov wouldn't help me.

I however knew pretty much equal amounts of white people and black people...etc who get government aide. And they didn't have HALF the problems I had like leaving home at a young age because of abusive parents...etc (really abusive parents, I've had guns stuck n my mouth, I've been pistol whipped..etc. I'd be dead if I didn't leave home). Most of them had apartments and where just LAZY! I was NOT lazy, I would have LOVED to work if I could have found a job. Also I hate to say it and I don't want to sound racist either but to be completely honest I mainly see mexican immigrants on gov aide, atleast here.

My girlfriend also had abusive parents so she left home when I did, and theres no way in hell either of our parents would have helped. They were drug addict, drunk scumbags. Its strange that abused people gravitate towards eachother and tend to take care of eachother (and a lot of times that not a good thing but in our situation it was, we NEEDED eachother). I was literally with my girlfriend and cared for her since we were little children.

If you appear to be someone who isnt disabled at all just by looking at you they turn you down, atleast in my experience. And I'm not disabled but I was a teen with no work experience and was homeless with a baby on the way and they STILL turned me down. I was over 18 and met like all the qualifications, I left home at 15 but when I applied and when my GF got pregnant I was 18. As far as I know you can't get help until you are 18 and I didn't want to get sent away somewhere or anything. I was turned down MULTIPLE times! While meanwhile these fat lazy people just waltz right in there and got whatever they want just because they are "disabled" because they are fat, or some crap. (and thats not a insult to overweight people, just ones that think everything should be handed to them) It was BS!

I also am not and have NEVER been a druggie, so thats not why I got turned down either. Which is rediculous anyways because atleast here I bet like a good portion of people on it are crack and meth addicts...etc.

And like I said I'm not some person who relies on gov aide I have self taught myself computers and work in IT now but when I was a teen I didn't have these skills. I could have REALLY used that help. I needed help more than most people who are on it and they turned me down! Its BS! I'm still angry because myself and my pregnant girlfriend were forced to sleep outside many nights because of it! Luckily I had money and stuff figured out a little better when we had the baby and although I was in training and not around when the baby was born she was still born with a apartment to come home to and my then girlfriend, now wife had a roof over her head too (and I hardly say this, but it was all thanks to the military and some loans I managed to get!). But let me you tell you before the baby it was HELL!

And theres no way we would of got an abortion, despite being homeless we werent homeless when the baby was born and I love my daughter more than anything. We are GREAT parents. I wouldn't changed having her for the world! She is the greatest gift I have ever received.

I'm still pissed they turned me down MULTIPLE times!

That whole system is freaking screwed up and ass backwards. Trust me it doesn't just effect white people that need help. They don't help the people who REALLY need it. It boils my f'ing blood!

I still to this day don't quite know why I was turned down! I never really got a reason!

end rant.

Peace

[edit on 28-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You should count yourself as one of the truely lucky people in this world to have such a good support group. Not everyone is so lucky and it's even harder to get peole to take you in when you have children.

If you find yourself homeless it means you have alienated all the people in your life that could have helped you! It means you have not made good connections, or treated people well. It means you have made poor economical and social decisions.

I'm sorry but that just is not true, some people just are not blessed with loving family and friends that will take them in during hard times. And not everybody that is homeless is in that situation due to poor economical and social decisions.

Twentysix years ago when my sons were 2&4 i woke up to find our house on fire (we were renting) I was lucky to get out of that house with my sons alive with nothing but the clothes on our backs. That fire left me and my sons homeless and not because of poor economic choices on my part.

We stayed at a friends house for a couple of days (i constantly felt like we were a burden, it was her husband that made me feel this way, not her) this friend then told me that she knew where my son's father was living (turns out that he had been living with her brother-in-law for months) and that i should go ask him for help, his answer was i don't have anything to give you.

After a few days being there my cousin who owned her own house finally offered us a place to stay (for a couple of days) mind you not until we could find a place, just for a couple of days. It was very hard to find someone that was willing to rent to a single mother back in 83'.

My mother lived in a very small studio apartment at the time (kitchenette, bathroom, and frontroom with one of those beds that pulls out from the wall) we stayed there for the last two weeks, sleeping on the floor. We had to sneak in and out and couldn't make any noise so the landlord wouldn't find out and say she broke her lease.

I finally found an apartment through a friend. That had to be one of the worst times in my life. It is much harder to be homeless when you have small children, it also makes it harder to find people willing to take you in.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
What prompted this question is this article I recently read.

www.reuters.com...

Technically, I have never actually been homeless. However in my 30's, after a painful and financially devastating divorce, left with only my clothes, a dog and a Ford pickup I lived on the road as a gypsy, traveling the American southwest, working at any job I could find and living in my camper. In retrospect it was a very matureing experience but I was so devistated by my divorce that all I could do was whine and feel sorry for myself. And drink.

I would like to hear of others experiences, living on the road, jobless, at wit end, and how did you deal with your situation, emotionally, physically, spiritually.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by whaaa]

thats what john wayne gacy wants to know

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I have never found myself homeless, aside from leaving my mothers home as a young man, fortunately. At present though I have been unemployed for over 11 months now due to this financial bubble that was always coming and I have a mortgage that is in serious arrears. Do I worry? Not one bit anymore.

I am refusing to claim any benefits in my country as I personally think its just another way of being taxed more on contributions you have already made which might be stubborn but I dont see why I should contribute to something that has destroyed my country.
I am about an inch of losing my home however. This might sound a bit strange but I have come to find a lot of comfort in the saying "whats for you, wont go by you". Strange things happen if you go out your way to move around in life when it comes to speaking to others, helping others and just taking time to be welcoming to people if that makes sense.

Just last week for example I found myself completely broke and nowhere to turn. Previously I had left my mothers home because of her boozing etc, at the age of 16, many years ago and at the same time as I have been struggling around, my mother had found out my address to drop off all my old things from her home.
Found my old fishing rod on my doorstep when I arrived home after praying for a way to find food for the weekend.

Cutting a story short here but I nipped down the next morning (before the fishing marshalls where on the scene
) and caught a mixed bag of fish that will keep me going for the next week.
The look on someones face when you turn up in a crisis with answers is something that definately keeps me going ie my partner

I have always had food and water regardless of the situations and I am very grateful for that.

Just pointing out that if you hang on and remember that the sun rises just after the darkest point, You will make it no matter how dark it seems. If I am made homeless then I will just have to get on with it in my eyes because its what was on the cards for me and the sooner I accept it the better chance I will have of getting out of the situation.

Some very inspirational stories here and I wish you all the best.

[edit on 28-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Yes and No.

I spent a decent portion of my earlier years living on the streets.

I still had a home to return to if I so chose, however don't want to get into specifics but the reality of that home environment was that it would have done more damage to me to return to it than to remain on the streets.

Choices can be a crappy thing sometimes...in reality sometimes *choice* doesn't really exist - only survival does.

Yeah people can say things like "It made you who you are today. You learnt and grew through it. It blessed you with an ability to empathise and connect with those less fortunate. It spurs and motivates you to help others now...blah blah blah".

Real easy to say when that supposed and oft' romanticised 'learning and growth' came through doing crap you never would have imagined you'd do in order to simply eat.

Peace.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Im 21 now

Previous times i was homeless where because i lost the 2nd lawsuit over a building we legally squatted in the netherlands. After being homeless for some time i went to live in an antiquat monastary at a befriended couple they threw a birthday party after a month and some of the girls collegues from a coffeeshop wrecked the monastary with fire extuingshers so we where kicked out and then a saga of homelessness began. I lived on the streets allot and at the worst days I had to shoplift everyday for food. City survival is hard

After that I got a job at dutch IRS while I was homeless in secret. I couldnt touch my money because my bank account got disabled due to debts I got because of the squatting lawsuit. After 3 weeks I got another job and a room and was paying my debts. But then I got an accident and got fired had surgery twice and been homeless since. Im living at a good friend now but he's going on vacation for a week and he will get into trouble with renting if im there. So im gonna be living at a different friend each day or 2days this week. Im getting welfare in 2 months. So I can get a room and work or school.

Greetings Neoblade

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
So long as you have some kind of cover, you are never homeless.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Ok let me put you straight....For very many years i have worked with and been around the homeless and homeless issues, your assertion that by leading a good life you will never be homeless is complete bunkum.
It is the sort of facile idiotic statement i would expect to hear from those who have solid home lives stable jobs an education and an in-ability to see the world as it really is.
70% of homeless people have some sort of mental illness some drug related or as a result of physical and/or mental abuse or their genetic make up means that they are pre disposed to develop schizophrenia or bi-polar disorder.
We have also noticed that a very small percentage 2% or less have IQ's of over 125 in one instance an IQ of 148 was discovered in a homeless person it seems these people have slipped through the educational net and normally leave school with little or no qualifications.
It seems these people have very little social skills and cannot hold down a job or form lasting meaning relationships, they are not stupid though, i think these people born into impoverished families utilised their intelligence in making the authority figures in schools they came across believe that they were ordinary difficult children, when in fact they could be suffering from some sort of mild autism or as yet some undiagnosed dysfunction which has yet to reach the books of mainstream psychology.
The likelyhood of a correct diagnosis in persons who left school more than 15years ago is poor as autism was not so readily identified as it is to-day.
A lot of homeless people self medicate with drugs and alcohol to help keep there symptoms under control.
I have a saying after coming across so many different people each with a different story as to how or why their life fell apart and that saying is this.

You are only as strong as the event in your life that breaks you.

Wether its the loss of a partner or children to a Drunk Driver or the passing of a wife or husband through illness finding out your partner is cheating on you and a divorce is the event that makes you spiral it was the last one for me and i spent from 2000 til mid 2007 homeless in the uk.
I also would like to say this if my being homeless means you never have to go through it im happy with that, i mean it.
I pray it never happens to you, because the reason for you becoming homeless will no doubt be a tragedy you cannot deal with.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by The X

It is the sort of facile idiotic statement i would expect to hear from those who have solid home lives stable jobs an education and an in-ability to see the world as it really is.
70% of homeless people have some sort of mental illness

Before you call my statements idiotic, please verify your own facts. According to the sources that I provided. 22% have mental disorders. That is a far cry different than your 70% fabrication.

I stated on many of my replies that there are, of course, exceptions. But, I have also worked around many homeless people. I used to try my best to remedy their situation by providing work and housing. I found out that in most cases they do not want help, or they are violent and volatile.

In my experience, I never met any of the type of people who are sharing their stories here! I wish I had met them, or I wish they had met someone like me, but alas, they are the exceptions, not the norms.

If you kindly read through all the replies, you will see that I had one success story out of maybe 2 dozen tries. I also had a couple of people I was trying to help either attack me or steal from me. They were both arrested. In most cases, they just wander off in the middle of their first work day!

[edit on 28-7-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZenOnKwalsky
Very good thread!!! For sure more important and interesting that all that alleged stories of star trek style "federations of light" coming to save us )

All the best to all the Posters!!!

You are absolutely correct, this is a good thread and an interesting one!

I commend everyone for sharing their stories as well. I am sorry that I have to be one of the few with a differing opinion, but I appreciate all the debate!

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by ZenOnKwalsky
Very good thread!!! For sure more important and interesting that all that alleged stories of star trek style "federations of light" coming to save us )

All the best to all the Posters!!!

You are absolutely correct, this is a good thread and an interesting one!

I commend everyone for sharing their stories as well. I am sorry that I have to be one of the few with a differing opinion, but I appreciate all the debate!

I appreciate your point of view. I don't agree with it for obvious reasons. But you have made some points worthy of consideration. There is immense value in cherishing the relationships that we have. I'm so very glad that you have that kind of support network. It allows you to see things in a way that some of us don't. Your positive experience is a blessing. But our negative one seems to be too. So, its all good. Besides, if we were all to think the same way, we'd be bored to death.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

in anchorage alaska a good percentageof the homeless are native alaskans. they come from the many rural villages where susistance and public assistance are the norm...also prohibition! if they are not siring or baring children, they are pretty much out of the loop! they get to anchorage and are discriminated against because of their lack of education + job skills;run out of $ and become standed & homeless! this summer there have been 6 or 8 male/native/homeless found dead...some or all of these cases are being investigated as potential homicides, but i've got to wonder how much effort is actually being expended on their cases because i've seen no follow-up coverage in the alaska daily news which has printed the original stories. the hidden moral to this story is perhaps not to let your guard down if you become homeless...take all precautions if you want to avoid a "mercy killing"...i knew who one of these men was, SPECIAL ED...he was chronically alcholic and homeless, but he knew how to survive on the streets; this is why in at least one case i personally suspect foul play...i myself have been homeless before and know that i could be again...be as careful out there as if your life depended on it because it just might!!!

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by canadianmouse

kinda liked the earned income credit, not available unless you earn under a certain amount,,,norewards for doing better than the benchmark than suddenly needing assistance!wtf?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Monteriano

not giving up is the key 4 many, but some who are homeless just dont posses the innate skills to survive in the traditional sense of the word in todays americanculture/economy...like a natural selection thing...consider yourself fortunate...respectfully, michael

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkStar86

i've stayed at the bro. francis shelter in anch. before in between seasonal fish processing jobs...many church groups'd come on occassion to serve and it was a relief to the homeless there that had signed up to do this; they could do laundry or read the paper instead....but there was this one guy who came in at the end of the month i think to offer the unused minutes on his cell phone plan...i thuoght that was the most cheritable of the two offerings. p.s., Brother Francis is the paitron saint of ANIMALS...does this seem like an oversite on the part of the Catholic social services who founded the shelter...not nice otherwise!

[edit on 28-7-2009 by plainmike]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I didn't you had it so bad, now for the question in the OP, I never been homeless in my life, I actually have been shelter, pamper and taken care off.

So yes I am spoiled, but hey things are very shaky now a days so I will be ready and prepare if I happen to find myself out of luck and in the streets.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by werk71

the cardboard recycing dumpsters are an excellent place to sleep at night if you can be certain that they are not due to be emptied anytime soon.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by plainmike

Yes that tip can and is sometimes a dangerous one
There was a bloke the other week in the UK I think somewhere up north... He was out drink heavily with his mates and he wondered off as he usually did - any way the next morning he was crushed to death by a rubbish compacting truck.

The verdict was that he found a comfortable and dry place to fall asleep for a while and sober up (he was caught on CCTV getting in?).

He must of been a heavy sleeper!

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I have always been somewhat of a maverick in comparison to my pears, family, and friends...perhaps this is why I often contemplate giving up the 40 hour work week for the great outdoors after my 15 year old son is of age...I'm a single father 4 now and it is paramount that he learns all that he can from me before I go off to anywhere...I will give him til he's 18 if not longer to ready himself 4 the world. The point is that even though I earn about 40k+ each year, I still don't have a lot saved or any tangible holdings of any great value. I eat what I crave, party on occassion, can be somewhat cheritable to those I consider worth the cost, have a relatively safe place to work out of 4 the moment, and am content except 4 the fact that I'm only living paycheck to paycheck. I've been the respondant in 2 divorces and I often reflect that maybe the lifestyle that I can afford is not worth the effort expended to achieve it. I suppose there are in fact folks that've made a conscientious choice to be homeless. Ithink that the bonds I've made while not living whithin the fringe community are no less fragile and subject to conditions than the one's nurtured there. For various reasons, I suppose there'll always be those who can manage to stay connected with a support group, but there'll always be those for whom that is in some cases rather superficial when it really comes down to the line and they just elect to forgo conventionality altogether. If I somehow managed to achieve, or came upon financial wealth, I would feign homelessness to see who would help me before revealing my true networth...those that did would most likely be the more compassionate and sincerest allies that one could be blessed with.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Facile and idiotic i TRULY think you are i hope your not offended.
mental illness is made up of those people, (but not limited too) who are addicted to drugs or are alcoholics.
in the uk they are mental health problems and 70% of homeless suffer from some sort of mental illness.

What do you know anyway other than a statistic you found somewhere on the internet.
Outside in the real world where many people who have experienced (through no fault of their own in a lot of cases and certainly not because they lead immoral lives) extreme poverty in many ways have to deal with the daily reality that would crush emotionally and mentally the strongest of people.

Go on walk out of your life just for a year get off your ass and leave your comfort zone with nothing....i dare you.

The deficits these people experience are very difficult to overcome and im sure people like yourself that hold the view that homelessness is your fault because you dont live a good honest life, are deficit yourself in the area of grey matter between your ears.

I very much take exception to your viewpoint and am incredibly offended by your banal assertions.
Sweeping generalisations such as "if your going to be homeless treat your family better and your friends better" shows me just how unthinking your statement really is.

Tell that to the youngster who after suffering years of abuse decides the best thing they can do is to leave home, more often than not with nothing and with nowhere to go ending up on the street doing whatever they can to sustain themselves.
This sometimes means compounding problems by doing things no person should have to in a "Decent" society sometimes this means prostituting themselves just to survive.
Tell me how someone who is innocent and has had everything in their lives except a good loving home with good decent parents who is now homeless is responsible for their own condition?.

I hope you can see just how stupid, ridiculous, conceited you actually sound to someone who knows what the truth of such a reality is.

(My 17yr old daughter saw your post shes really annoyed by it she said
what patronising ass* said that).

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join