It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever been Homeless?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by chiponbothshoulders

I'm curious, do you find that your empathic ability, as mine does, ---automatically--- highten when you are in stress and survival mode?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dometheus

Get going on that book, it sounds like a very interesting life and I would like to hear more.

I'm glad things worked out for you.

You had it rough and survived.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I used to meet a lot of homeless people on state street in madison wisconsin when I was 16 yo ,to about 21.

Some of the greatest people I ever met were among them,and some of the wierdest too,interesting conversation,either way.....

The homeless people here in florida are mostly OK,most of them panhandle at stores and bus stops to get beer,a lot run scams,or attempt to.Some try to steal things when you turn your back on them.

People are generally messed up in florida,about 80% of them are either scared out of their wits,or don't have enough sense to be scared of anything.

It seems to be a southern thing,I saw it when I went into the military 24 years ago.

...Somethin ain't right down hereabouts ya see?.

Or is it just that I'm a Dang Yankee?.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by simonecharisse

Very Very Very much,I have a knack for knowing what to do and can't remember when it happens,somebody usually tells me about it afterwards.
It is very strange.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   

The thing I didn't like about being homeless in Florida was mosquitos, they were extra, and above average. (Some say marijuana smoke as you lay down to sleep helps keep them off your face). Then if I was sleeping out near water I worried about alligators. I never seen one, and I would wake up if even a skunk walked by, but still...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   

----Interesting---- you were in the military also, and ALSO when I was.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by greenfruit

Canada has a welfare system and they provide for the exact same things as your country does. I could have went on assistance but I was too proud to ask for help. My mother was an alcoholic on the system and I felt like if I accepted welfare I was just like her. (I know it isn't that way but when you are 16 and mortified on how you are being raised anything that reminds you about home is something that you don't want to do.)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

I see alligators all the time right here in town...,I saw one get hit by a train yesterday,now I have an alligator claw necklace.
A seven footer he was,now he's smaller.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Very good thread!!! For sure more important and interesting that all that alleged stories of star trek style "federations of light" coming to save us )

All the best to all the Posters!!!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
When I was twelve I had gone through a lot of abuse and ended up pregnant, my mom when she found out kicked out both me and my older sister (who was actually an adult) out onto the streets. We lived under a bridge and tried to get work, and got as much money as we could to feed ourselves and get to school. After I had my son and put him up for adoption my mother let us back into the house.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I hope this doesn't offend any of our ATS members that have been unfortunate, but I truly believe that if you live a good, honest life, it is impossible to become homeless!!!!

I have gone through the typical scenario, divorce, left with dog and truck and country song..........but I literally had friends arguing over where I would stay!!

I have had a house foreclosed on, but I had family members arguing over where I would stay!

I had a great-aunt and great-uncle that could not have kids of their own. They outlived all of their brother's and sister's and in their nineties, they had no direct family left. My mother and father built them a "mother-in-law's" suite, and they stayed there for a few years!!

If you find yourself homeless it means you have alienated all the people in your life that could have helped you! It means you have not made good connections, or treated people well. It means you have made poor economical and social decisions.

I know that it happens. And it is very unfortunate, but I cannot possibly see anybody that I personally know, ever becoming homeless! In jail maybe, but not homeless! My network of friends and family would never let that happen to any of their own!

If you are worried about this happening to you, begin to treat your friends and family better! Reach out and help those around you, because you may need help someday!!

Some people are on the street because no one cares about them; and sometimes that is no fault of their own either.

Many people who are on the street are mentally ill with no friends, or family (and if they have family its most likely that they don't care for them because the mentally ill can be a burden).

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I remember some really sweet people putting stuff out by the dumpster at the grocery store and the chicken shack at night.
Usually, I was there in the evening to say Hi and pick it up ( I shared ) - but, I was there one morning and I looked up from behind the dumpster and there was a woman with a small poodle dog and a plastic face driving by in a big car. She grimmaced and clutched the dog as if to save it from me, and drove off.
At first I was a bit embarrassed and sad, but then I laughed and laughed. Hell, I'm still laughing.
I've had a good run in the ten years since with money, and I have a great place now ( my stepson's )- but, I'm really not needed by anyone right now ( and I generally don't NEED in the normal sense )... and- I'm about to voluntarily be homeless again. I can't wait.
I'm a bit older now and I guess I should worry about toothaches and such, but- I really can't wait.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I can't say I was destitute. But I seen enough. Listen you guys. How do like
eating rotten food from a dumpster. A lot of people are just doing that today.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I don't really know why I'm posting this but here goes,
True story with some bits left out for security reasons

I lived on the streets for about a year and a half when I was younger.

I had an ex whos father used to beat her. One night she called crying
that he had just pulled her hair and slapped her a bunch of times. I went over and needless to say he never touched her again. The next morning my father was in the kitchen and asked me where I had been so I told him and he seemed really upset but didn't say anything more of it. The next morning he woke me up, told me to pack a duffel bag with whatever I could carry and dropped me off at a homeless shelter on the other side of town. He said sorry son but due to my job we can't have that kind of thing in this household.

That was the last time I saw him for about a year and a half.

Needless to say that year and half, was packed with insanity.
I met all kinds of seedy, needy, whacked out, dangerous and just plain crazy people. Dealers, thieves, killers, hackers, carders, gang bangers, fences, mobsters and corrupt officials amongst others.

Could make a movie of it all.

At the end of that time a family member passed and my father got in touch through the grapevine and wanted to mend bridges.

That ended another chapter in my life. I am glad I got out when I did because I would have probably gone to jail or died pretty soon. Living on the streets was an invaluable experience though. I know what it's like to be in many seemingly insane situations. I've got the tattoos, the scars and the memories as a daily reminder.

On the flip side, I eventually graduated from a university in Europe, lived in several countries including the UK, Greece and Belgium. Learned half a dozen languages and have dined with European and Middle Eastern royalty, heads of state, politicians, leaders of business, generals, ambassadors, dignitaries, members of the PLO and the IRA, various intel agencies as well as movie and rock stars.

Due to contact with some of the aforementioned, I've had the pleasure of being tailed, phones taped and put under surveillance by various parties more than once, thank goodness for crypto. My life can be such a circus sometimes but it keeps things fun.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Technically you were homeless.

I have been homeless a few times on technicality.

I have slept on the floor of an apartment of a friend for a few
weeks til I found a job after getting out of the military,
wasn't broke, but I did not have a lot of money.

After my girlfriend of many years broke up, I lost my job,
and badly injured myself cutting firewood for extra money,
and ended up with double pneumonia as well.

By all reason I should have died, but I got better.

My uncle and aunt was kind enough to let me sleep on
the couch at what was my grand parents old place.

My aunt was almost homeless at the point as well,
and she moved in with her brother, and then I moved in.

I was homeless after the DOT COM bust and slept in the cellar
of a friends house after me and 8,500 other got canned at
Cisco Systems, most of my co-workers lost their jobs as well
including my Supervisor, and the Director.

By choice I was homeless after returning from working as a
IT contractor in GTMO Cuba after 911.

I had enough money saved up to buy a really crappy house
in very bad shape, and that is what I did at a sheriff auction.

I have lived here for 5 years.

I have had two roommates but the poor conditions made both
of them move to better places.

I have fixed it up a fair bit, but no where near as much as it
needs to be, as I decided to build up my savings again.

I do not like being trapped in an abusive job, and most have
become that way for me because I do not have a degree.

So if and when most of the co-workers are pissed and angry
at their fate and several are seeking better jobs, I usually
send out an email outlining what the company needs to do
differently and why and detailing examples and quit.

I don't cuss, and I try not to blast just one person, but the
process instead, but some ppl just begged for the spotlight.

The funny thing is some of those businesses went with my
recommendations, but usually only after others quit citing
parts of my email.

It has been my personal way to take one step closer to being
a free human being that does not have to be a debt slave.

Just my opinion.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by president

You say that shower is a problem ?

Sometimes, this time of year, there are community swimming pools open. Sometimes in big cities/ all year. Have a swim and a shower if you can!
Anyway, usually only cost a buck

[edit on 27-7-2009 by Skelkie3]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by stevenshawnbetrue
I can't say I was destitute. But I seen enough. Listen you guys. How do like
eating rotten food from a dumpster. A lot of people are just doing that today.

The food ain't rotten if you pay attention, in my experience. Like if a fast-food place serves breakfast, the garbage bag with McMuffins etc. is going to be in the dumpster by 11:30 or noon...uneaten, fresh, still in wrapper, everything on hand that was unsold by the time they switched to the lunch menu...and after the place closes at the end of the day, you will find uneaten-on wrapped food at night...you can get stuff from many businesses in the dumpster if you think and use your powers of observation (like wholesale florists throw out all kinds of fresh enough flowers Friday afternoons, you can take several bunches of roses to a bar and sell a dozen for 3,4,5 bucks each to men drinking after work to give to their wives when they get home late, this works surprisingly well...etc. etc. etc.)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by president

I have always had insecurities and social anxieties so I have a hard time finding friends and not counting work.
I sleep in a 10-10 storage locker illegally

You got to read the book Snow Crash.

2nd line.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenfruit
Have to ask doesn't America have a welfare system. If so how does it work. Federal, State, Local levels.

This is gonna sound racist as hell, and first realize I am a card carrying
Native American and served along side ppl of all colors in the military.

The Welfare offices in most cities are now mostly black ppl running them.

It would appear the blacker you are, the easier it is to get help.

The whiter you are the less likely you are to get help UNLESS you are
a white girl with a black guy and have a kid.

I have not applied, but I know a few ppl that have, and have had
hateful things said to them while at the Welfare office.

My brother and his wife took YEARS to get on it and only after
a pastor at a church intervened.

I have never even applied for food stamps, came close a cpl of times,
but I always found work or get help from friends or relatives.

The projects are so bad thou, you really would not want to live there.

If I was given the choice of camping in the wilderness or living in
the projects I would not need a millisecond to decide.

If the black ppl have no problem shooting each other, you can damn
well bet they will think even less of others.

Respect to those who don't hate, but we are damn few these days.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
ive been homless, lived in abandon buildings, ate from pizza shops and bagel shops dumpsters,

family helped me to change
went to college, graduated

economy crashed, now im about to be homless again, cant find a job, just defaulted on my student loan.

atleast you have a vehicle to live in and a friend..

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join