It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have you ever been Homeless?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I have never been homeless but I have worked with the homeless (Soup Kitchen).

Maybe I fear being homeless so much because I was orphaned at the age of 10.

Went to live with my sister & her husband (she was a half sister and 13 years older than me).

Three days after my mother was buried, he (brother in law) sat me down and said, "Listen cookie, nobody gets a free ride in this world. You will do exactly what we tell you to do or find yourself in a orphanage. You will do the housework, take care of the babies and help with the running of the farm..............."

At 10 I found out, nobody gets a "free ride". I have worked hard ever since in order to have a roof over my head and a bed to sleep in.

Most people have no idea that all of us live on the edge. but for a simple act of "fate" any of us could be homeless.

Most people think, "If I work hard I will keep my job and my home, it's only "the lazy ones that are homeless".

This is a false sense of confidence. I know better. Many of our homeless are good people who have had bad things happen to them and many of the arrogant jerks who say "it's their own fault" have no comprehension that if fate had dealt them the same hand as many of the "homeless" they too would be in the same boat.

Any of us (except the ruling elite class) could find ourselves all of a sudden, out of work, foreclosed, and out on the street.

Most people like to think that if they plan their life, obey the rules and are good little workers they will survive.

This is bs.

One divorce, one big medical bill, one happenstance and it could happen to any of us.

Most people think anyone that has a drinking or drug "problem" is of low charactor. No, they are a sensitive and hurting individual that needs help and understanding. Drinking or doing drugs is a sign of "self-medication", trying to numb the hurt.

The human animal is not as empathetic as he/she would like to believe they are.

There is enough of everything to go around but we choose to condon some of us having most of it, most of us working till we drop for a tiny piece of it and many now being screwed out of getting any of it (It being a piece of the pie).

I fear being homeless.

I fear it so much that I withstood 15 years of being physiologically and verbally abused for 8-10 hours every day by a tyrant of a boss with a sociopath personality.

I fear being homeless so much that I worked at a mind numbing job crunching numbers for large corporations, obeyed all the rules, walked a line so straight the highway department would be envious and now find after 15 years of service, my company the largest multi-line property/casualty third-party administrator (TPA), is methodically and quietly outsourcing it's jobs to "Team India".

Yes folks, it could and may happen to many of us.

Our society teaches us from a young age to "consume", "obey", "money is your god", "sleep" (sound familiar). We're hooked into the system by our desire of "things".

Everyone thinks "this won't / can't happen to me" and quietly goes along and keeps either overlooking the screwing done to others or is the actual person screwing over everyone else unaware that eventually someone or some organization that has no compunctions to screw over someone/anyone will eventually screw over you if the opportunity arises.

No, I'm not homeless yet. As I tell my dog, everyone deserves a hook to hang their hat on.

Nobody should be homeless and yes my fellow ATSers, we are all our brothers keepers.

Most people have no idea but for a "change of luck" they too could be out on the street.

To the original poster - I am sending good thoughts your way and wish you prosperity, good luck and peace.

My heart goes out to you because you have had a hard time and most people don't realize how close to the "edge" we are all hanging.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I have been homeless for five years.

When I was 39,I had a stroke that nearly killed me,it took me about 3 months to recover enough to go back to work.

At about 2 months after I had the stroke,my wife told me she wanted a divorce,because of the financial problems my being off of work caused,and slipped in something in about credit card bills that I missed because I still couldn't think straight.

It turned out there was about 30,000 bucks in credit card debt which needed to be paid off before she would let the marriage end with civility,so I refinanced the house,got a crappy refi,because of the time I was off work,and the credit rating with the credit card problem.

I managed to get an extra $4000 to pay the property taxes for the next year,I couldn't get it escrowed and still pay the mortgage.She insisted that I surrender it to her before the divorce would be finalised,so I did.

And then like an idiot,I passed up maintenance from her,she has a really good job.....?.......Duh

I paid off her debt...etc...,and she left me with a house,my beater car,a motorcycle,an old rug she didn't want,my tools,and 3 dogs in crates in the living room.....But I still had a job.

1 1/2 years pass...........

I was having problems getting by,so I tried to refi,but could not get a better rate,over and over and over I tried.....finally a finance guy told me that there were some delinquent credit cards on my credit report,I found out they were the same ones my ex-wife was ordered to destroy and cancel...apparently she didn't.

They told me to file contempt with the court,like it wasn't already too late.

I got layed off 4 days later.

The ship sank 3 years later.

I sold everything I had,and went on a scary adventure....

I drove as far away as I could.

Now I am homeless in florida,I found a job for 4 years,but got layed off again recently...but I work for a guy who owns some rental properties here too,and have access to them when they are not occupied,all I have to do is some maintenance,and keep the locals from stealing stuff,I very seldom don't have a place to stay.Very nice places right on the waterway,a mile from the ocean

Now I met a guy who is trying to start a business.He ran a successful one in the past,but I am working for nothing just to help,I have everything I need,never hungry,never completely broke,seldom cold....

My only real problem is the cops,they ask questions about rumors they hear about me and my brother who came with me being homeless,and other meaningless drivel.
Last I knew,they needed more than a rumour to harass you?.
Last time I checked,it wasn't illegal to be homeless.
They always say that if you need a place to stay the night,they can help.
They mean jail.

Florida is one of the filthiest places I have ever lived,in nearly all respects.

But I'm happy.

I hold out very little hope for this country,if someone doesn't have a fake smile on their face,or a silly romantic story about life and god and flowers and babies and puppies and bla bla bla,they think you have a problem...

Ya know?,life is not bad,but this country is messed up!.

My next step is to buy a big sail-boat and leave this place,and I have almost enough money saved up,of course it is a fixer-upper,my being poor and all........

You can have this place,I'm gone.

Sorry for not writing a nicey-nice story about how good I feel about the crap I've been through,but ya know what?,reality bites,especially when someone else determines your reality for their gain.

And that is what is happening in the U.S..

It is really nice in Panama,I think I'll go back there without having to kill anybody like last time.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by chiponbothshoulders]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I was homeless for about 5 months when I was a teenager.

I slept in my car that I parked adjacent a large lake.

It was summer and very hot during the day, so when I got to overheated I would just jump in the lake.

I got my drinking water from the lake and simply boiled it over a small fire down in a cove.

I took my baths in the lake as well.

I had a little money saved up. I only ate once per day. I would wait until I was really hungry and then go to a fast food place that had some kind of special. Obviously my eating plan was not a good one, but I was 16 and didn't know better.

The boredom really, really sucked!

Eventually someone caught me and the local government got involved.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I have been homeless ten or twelve times. It was easy and fun (of course I am charming, able, and good-looking). Once I learned that I can just take my last paycheck, put my stuff into storage paid up for a year, assemble a small bag to carry on my back, and start walking... and everything will be cool, in this rich country...dude, it was one of my best life discoveries.
While homeless I have eaten beaucoup tasty garbage from dumpsters and never gotten sick, read hundreds of books in public and university libraries, fished change out of fountains to buy day-old do-nut holes to share with pigeons on the park bench all day. I've gotten jobs as a telemarketer while being made to sit away from others cause I smelled ("just give me an hour, boss, you'll see I CAN SELL!"). I've worked as a cook while sleeping by a river, getting cleaned up every day before work in the restroom of a Chevron. I avoid shelters because I get into fights there.
If you just hitch-hike long enough, someone will offer you a job.
And if you find a place you like, you can find a way to get money and stay there. There is nothing like the feeling you get for a city, like for example Las Vegas, where I arrived with a bag on my back and left with a car and six thousand dollars, when you get over starting with nothing you really feel like you know the place...
But like I say I am charming...if people tend always not to like you, being homeless would be more difficult...but then most things would be worse if nobody can stand you, I reckon...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85

Originally posted by whaaa
What prompted this question is this article I recently read.

www.reuters.com...

Technically, I have never actually been homeless. However in my 30's, after a painful and financially devastating divorce, left with only my clothes, a dog and a Ford pickup I lived on the road as a gypsy, traveling the American southwest, working at any job I could find and living in my camper. In retrospect it was a very maturing experience but I was so devastated by my divorce that all I could do was whine and feel sorry for myself. And drink.

I would like to hear of others experiences, living on the road, jobless, at wit end, and how did you deal with your situation, emotionally, physically, spiritually.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by whaaa]

I'm more interested in how you got out of that bad situation...Maybe explaining might give others who could be in a similar situation some hope..

OK, what happened to me was that one of my jobs was with a man that had a property management business. We often talked about my gypsy life style and the freedom it afforded. He wanted freedom so he gave me his business, tools, accounts, work truck etc. He left his wife and family and I never saw him again. I eventually gave his wife and 2 daughters money for his generosity. I went from living in my truck to grossing 250K a year. In two years thru drinking and drugging I managed to trash the business and almost wound up living in my truck again. But as luck would have it; I found a very wealthy girl friend, sobered up, cleaned up and now live in Paradise with a beautiful loving woman. And I only work on projects that interest me. Some are philanthropic but most are self serving.

Yes,I know, I am very LUCKY!! If it had not have been for my higher power, I was destined to have been one of lifes casualties.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Mods pls remove

[edit on 27-7-2009 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
My whole entire life has been like if you combined 'The X Files' with 'The Outer Limits', but put homeless in there too.
Just to ---extremely briefly--- touch upon a matter that I have not Fully Disclosed on the net, (yet, or not) I was in the USAF during the Reagan administration, and part of my time in there was highly unusual, involving high clearances and UFOs. I befell a traumatic ordeal. Became increasingly depressed, after it, and also, following a strange hospitalization which I cannot fully account for in my memory, nearly 3 decades later. (I have a story about my medical records from my enlistment, to that point, vanishing).
After my second enlistment, I opted to de-enlist. Went back 'home'. For 10 years, I constantly apartment hopped, job hopped, relationship (--attempts!--) hopped. I was hyper sensory-sensitive and increasingly did not tolerate other humans. All I wanted really, was to stay in a quiet dark safe room, have a routine, and not try and survive and be autonimous any more. At the same time, I REFUSED to accept that there was any thing wrong with me.
One late night in 1998, I walked away and went to another city. My family never knew for 9 years, where I was or if I was dead or alive, and put me listed as missing, with law enforcement. I was homeless for 5 of those years, but I had a little used car and lived 'in' it. During that time I KEPT TRYING TO HOLD ON TO A JOB AND --NEVER-- WAS IN TROUBLE, I HAD NEVER TOUCHED DRUGS, AND WAS NEVER AN ALCOHOLIC. Hell, I never even got a TRAFFIC citation. My head felt like a radar dish, and I somehow KNEW if a speed trap and patrolman were up ahead, or I could FEEL people's intentions around me, including bad ones, or if someone could not stop and might hit me. So I therefore never got into any kind of horrible problems the whole time I was homeless.
But eventually I was forced to concede that I needed help, so I went to a VA hospital. I'm skipping over a lot of details here, because I'd have to write a fat book to tell it all, right. Long story short, after 2007, I got back with my next-of-kin, and I am doing very much okay.
I do ---not--- have delusional schizophrenia, and I ---have--- documentation proof for everything to which I attest.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by simonecharisse]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I used to live in China. I had random jobs around Guangzhou including construction, factory, and picking up trash. I had no where to live. I had no "friends" other than my "colleagues" at those trash jobs. For almost half a year, everyday that I got out of work I was beyond fatigue. And during the warm days I would just collapse on some grass along a road and just sleep. I didn't care about the ants or anything, I actually enjoyed their company from time to time (sad, I know). For food I remember only having grains, which was actually better than the diet during the Great Proletarian Revolution. Dog food in America is better than the crap I've during that time.

Now I'm in America, sitting in front of my 24" LCD screen and eating an apple... But I cannot forget those days.

[edit on 7/27/2009 by die_another_day]

[edit on 7/27/2009 by die_another_day]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Unfortunately,it is assumed that the homeless are powerless.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

In the past,everyone was homeless,in the sense that there was no accounting for them by the "authorities".

I see from some of the posts here,that many of you think it is the fault of the homeless.

The fault lies in how you,who are not homeless,and the system you feed with your consumerism and helplessness,unbalances everything.

It lies in a faulty monetary system,corporate power,outsourcing of our industry here at home,unfair labor practices,corruption and greed,viciousness....that "you and yours "... mentality,me,mine,ours....to hell with everyone else.

The more you take from a man,the freer he becomes,so they give you bread and circuses to keep you distracted from the destruction you wreak on the world with your wasteful neediness.

They keep you distracted from the fact that you are a slave.

You fear that scary free guy sitting at the park...you should go talk to him,he may enlighten you.

Don't ask me anything though,I have little to say in person.

Knowledge is sought,not taught,go get some.

This reality you live in is false,it is manufactured for you.

And it is about to fall apart.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by simonecharisse

I am an empath also,there is an awful lot of negativity out there.

Many people are scared ####less everywhere.

That is why I am going to float away and see if god can find the time to talk to me personally,and not through someone else who came into being many years ago when most people couldn't read the scriptures themselves.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Yes, I was homeless, unless you consider a Ford Mustang a home. I was 6 months out of the military (the first 4 years) and working at Evil-Mart. I was looking for a roommate, big mistake. I moved in with a 19 year old girl that I worked with. We had a mutual agreement that we were not interested in each other. That was never an issue. The issue was her ex-boyfriend. He had tried to slit his wrists infront of her and almost stabbed her. Freaking stupid me, I always did trust too much. That has changed.

1 month later, she split. Left me with a 2br apartment and 800 bucks a month that I could never afford working for "the wall-mart." I didn't want to turn to my parents, who would have helped. I wanted to handle it on my own. I worked and lived out of my car. The apartment community agreed to end my lease but I forefitted my deposit and would owe half the 11 months rent left. She was gone and they could care less. I paid it off BTW 6 months ago, got almost 6000 bucks + interest cut to 800 bucks thanks to a desperate collection company. About 2 weeks later I lost my job at wall-mart. I could not get to work one day, had a no call no show and they fired me on the spot. Claimed "right to work state".

I spent the next month in my car, trying to find more work. Turns out job hunting is tough when you don't have a home phone or cellphone. I didn't have money to buy food. I used it all on gas, trying to get a job. I used the soup kitchens and then later resorted to "questionable acts" to get food. That was extremely difficult for me but I did it pretty well. At the time I didn't want to reenlist. Then one day, I was sleeping in my car, as it turns out on private property. They let my old man pick up my car and threw me in the county jail. Try looking your father in the eyes when you are sitting in a squad car handcuffed. The property owner had called the cops and was pressing charges for trespassing on private property. I went to court the next morning. The judge dismissed the charges. In his words, I needed to clean my act the hell up and get the hell out of his courtroom.

My parents invited me into their home. I spent 1 month there before I felt a serious urge to reenlist. My old Navy job had a 6 month wait list so I reenlisted in to the Army as an Attack Helecopter Tech. That was that. A few months later, 9/11, then my life went another path completely. Now I have my dream job doing IT work and have graduated college. I have a wife whom I love and a home that is paid for.

GUYS REMEMBER, OBAMA WILL MAKE IT ALL BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by chiponbothshoulders

It's really weird. I was 'normal' enough to get myself into the service, and sensitive situations, but I was then not 'normal' anymore for a very long time, to survive. One of 2 things was going on. After I got traumatized, it surfaced more previously subdued 'maladys' or----was some kind of MK Ultra type of thing done to me?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Whenever I see or hear of homeless people, an old saying comes to mind. It's something like, there, but for the grace of God, go I. I have not been homeless in the common sense of the word But I have chosen to go out for adventure twice, both times with my wife. Working at whatever we could find to do for a day or two, living in a tent, fishing, swimming, eventually moving on down the road of adventure. It used to be easier. There used to be free campgrounds, particularly, in Oklahoma and Arkansas. I don't know if they are free anymore, since this was in the way back time of the 1970's. lol. We armed ourselves, though, which we most assuredly would do today if ever we found ourselves homeless. Interesting people to meet when traveling like this. But for a young couple, I learned early to always be aware of those around me. It seems like from time to time there was always one or two people who thought they would like to attempt to find a way to separate me from my wife and have their way with her. It never happened to her, but some people surely tried. They saw a kid with a cute young wife and thought, hey, he looks naive. Heh Heh. Looking at the business end of a .38 changed their minds really fast.
We might have looked like young, dumb hippies, but we weren't dumb and we weren't of the hippie mindset.

And a note here: I seriously doubt all those many families who suffered through the great depression of the 30's in the U.S. were just lazy or had alienated themselves from family and friends and deserved what they had to endure.

There's some real heartbreaking stories in this thread and I wish you all the best and hope you that are enduring your troubles will finally receive a just end to your sufferings.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by kyred]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
My father literaly sold the house when I was at school and told me since I was 18 years old I wasn't his problem anymore. I was working at burger king and had a crappy car so I loaded what I needed into it and hit the road. I soon realised that I needed an adress to be "leagal" so I used my mothers. I got a membership to the YMCA and eventualy a crappy van, a job learning a trade and a marijuana addiction and I wouldnt trade the next ten years for anything.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

This is meant only in good humor.

"Give me your tears gypsie"

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by president

I look back at the journey to here, and I wouldn't trade a single moment. I wish the same for you, President. You rock. Keep shinin' and thank you from my heart to yours for sharing a segment of your story.

Survivors always win.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Ragnarok691

That "Obama will make it all better" ,was sarcasm,right?.....

I hope so!.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I have lurked on the site for years. I post occasionally but rarely. Sometimes, just sometimes ATS is capable of meaningful discussion and insight. These stories of homelessness have touched me. I never did get a chance to talk to my brother before he died about living on the streets all those years. Your stories help me understand what he experience and I am not proud of my self for not trying harder to help him. I miss you Randy

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by chiponbothshoulders

Are you kidding me. LOL. Obama will make things better for everyone other than working people. WAYYYY off topic though. Just wanted to answer his question.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ragnarok691
reply to post by nine-eyed-eel

This is meant only in good humor.

"Give me your tears gypsie"

I don't know the reference, help me out.
Which gypsy are we talking about?
(And also, cheers to the OP, this is a good thread. I feel like I like more of the posters on this thread than I usually feel like here on ATS).

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join