It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conyers Sees No Point in Members Reading 1,000-Page Health Care Bill--Unless They Have 2 Lawyers to

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Just one thing that has not been addressed . . . if congress members has not read the bill, then who wrote it?

Primarily, lobbyists.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

Indeed, not reading bills should definitely land you in Federal prison. Because every time members of Congress creates and votes for a bill there's several checks attached, and not reading them consistently is fraud. When the public does it they go to jail, when the politicians and their fat cat friends do it, it's never even talked about.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Exactly. And I am going to add an opinion of mine to this statement. I believe, that in this world, everything is a reflection of everything else. I believe that the gang culture at the bottom is a direct reflection of the gang culture at the top, for example. Both are "playas." It is a race to see how far the envelope can be pushed in exploiting the weaknesses of the current system. But the ultimate and final weakness of the current system is that it cannot see outside of itself. Can enough of us see beyond the system? Can we see that it has become or has forever been a mechanism for selfish, mechanistic perpetuation, disregarding-the-other-in-every-aspect, including the aspect of something so foundational as perspective. It is time to introduce perspective. It is my belief that when the system thoroughly eats itself, when those within the system have hit their collective "rock bottom," when the separation has become so great, that one general perspective will rise into ascendancy, and that perspective is love, a true awareness of the interconnection of all that was, is, and will be.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

. if congress members has not read the bill, then who wrote it?

That is a set up question if I ever read one.

I would like to know when was the last time Congress actually did write their own bill?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
If I can be a little empathetic for a scond and ask
....What's the point of me performing my job duties?
...heck I've got a job for life anyway plus there are no term limits!

Tisk tisk.
Conyers, the only point I see is the one on your head.
If his next opponent doesn't milk this for all it's worth we are all doomed as a nation.

Get that bum out of there!

Makes me wonder how long this has been going on.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
How else are you supposed to hide 2 lines on page *** that call for something outrageous!

Suppose you want more gun control. You write a 1000 page Healthcare bill, that has provision XX.XXX.XXX on page XXX that quickly says something like, "Healthcare providers shall cease and desist treatment and report any suspicious clothing, weapons, or paraphenalia to local authorities." Then you go on in another 10 pages or so and state, "Improperly purchased, registered, or stored firearms will disqualify said recipient from further treatments. In addition, firearms reasonably accessible by minors (21 and under) will constitute a 'Health Emergency' and are subject to confiscation."

Then you go another 50 pages or so and write in similar one-line blurbs to provide funding for search and seizure, etc., etc.

It doesn't have to be guns, it can be 'Black Ops' projects, Pork, special consideration for your buddies, or anything else. Just make sure it is satisfactorily buried in legislation that nobody can read or decipher!!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
A class full of 1st graders could do a better job at regulating this country than 100 years worth of lobbyists or lobbyist targets. I'm gonna put this here, because I think only a few people really understand how direct and simple an idea it is:

lobbyist - noun
1. Someone who is employed to persuade legislators to vote for legislation that favors the lobbyist's employer.
(no other entries)

It's extremely simple. As long as corporations and profit mongers have the power (money), this country will always reflect nothing but profit motive regardless of the social and environmental costs.

Special Interests and Lobbyists should be stamped TREASONOUS as well as those who pass a bill without reading it.

But as I've said before (which only seems to get me ignored - so be it), the only way any of this is ever going to change is if the people TRULY get tired of it and mass in numbers that can not be denied. That is what we're supposed to do. It is the predominate responsibility that freedom requires. When the government fails (so miserably) to check and balance itself, it falls upon ALL capable U.S. citizens to take the matter into our own hands. We must DEMAND repercussion. It is our duty, and it is the only thing with the possibility of US making any difference at all. It would most certainly not be easy...but it would most certainly be worth it.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by lagnar

Special Interests and Lobbyists should be stamped TREASONOUS as well as those who pass a bill without reading it.

I agree. Furthermore, the fact that it is the lobbyists that write the bill, tells me that the House representatives are derelict in their duties. If the Founding Fathers wanted lobbyists to write the bills, they would have said that in the Constitution.

Section. 8.

Clause 18: To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

www.house.gov...

Note that clause 18 of Section 8 of the Constitution states that ALL laws shall be made by Congress. It is does say that ALL but those made by lobbyists. Therefore, Congress is in dereliction of duty.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: LiquidMirage

October 27, 2019

BREAKING NEWS

Former Michigan Congressman John Conyers passed away today at age 90. Conyers founded the "Black Congressional Caucus". His wife died earlier this year.

Story: www.foxnews.com...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join