It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Will Violate UN Space Law Which The U.S. Ratified.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Commentary: The planned October 9, 2009 bombing of the moon by a NASA orbiter that will bomb the moon with a 2-ton kinetic weapon to create a 5 mile wide deep crater as an alleged water-seeking and lunar colonization experiment, is contrary to space law prohibiting environmental modification of celestial bodies. The NASA moon bombing, a component of the LCROSS mission, may also trigger conflict with known extraterrestrial civilizations on the moon as reported on the moon in witnessed statements by U.S. astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong, and in witnessed statements to NSA (National Security Agency) photos and documents regarding an extraterrestrial base on the dark side of the moon.

If the true intent of the LCROSS mission moon bombing is a hostile act by NASA against known extraterrestrial civilizations and settlements on the moon, then NASA and by extension the U.S. government are guilty of aggressive war which is the most serious of war crimes under the U.N. Charter and the Geneva Conventions, to which the U.S. is subject. The U.N. Outer Space Treaty, which the U.S. has ratified, requires that “ The moon and other celestial bodies shall be used by all States Parties to the Treaty exclusively for peaceful purposes. The establishment of military bases, installations and fortifications, the testing of any type of weapons and the conduct of military manoeuvres on celestial bodies shall be forbidden.” 98 nations have ratified and 125 nations have signed the U.N. Outer Space Treaty.

www.examiner.com... trial-civilizations

I decided to post this since it mentions the UN Space Law, which the U.S. ratified, and in which several nations agreed not to militarize space, or test any weapons for anything in space.

Apart from that I think it is a really bad idea to bomb the Moon and cause a 5 mile crater, which will be deep, to form.

All of the debris will not stay on the Moon, since the Moon has very weak gravity, and no atmosphere to speak of, so all that debris might end up coming towards Earth.

Imagine if only one large piece of rock form the Moon is attracted by Earth, and crashes anywhere on Earth. There could be casualties on Earth due to this, or who knows what sort of microbes, and bacteria might be living on the Moon that might find it's way to Earth in the debris.

I really think this is a bad idea, any way you look at it.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
very interesting indeed, I will be keeping an eye on developments in regards to this.

So the they rekon the only way they can test for water is by dropping a mass bomb on the moon

Whats wrong with sending a long manned space mission there and digging for water like they do on Earth ??? This all sounds very fishy to me, if anything it sounds like an excuse to get rid of a large area without any putting any human life in danger.

Me thinks were not bieng told the whole story about the moon and the possibilty of there bieng other life forms up there....

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
actually nasa will be violating 2 space laws when they do this. 1. they will be altering the surface of another planet, and 2. using weapons in space. (I thought that was illegal?) oh and god help us... 3. instigate war with E.T. on the far side if the moon.

nobody wants another war.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

It's not a weapon per se, but a piece of a spacecraft that will impact the crater. Furthermore, there have been many other previous intentional spacecraft impacts (plus some unintentional) on the moon done by other countries, including previous impacts done by the U.S.

So if the U.S. is in violation of that treaty then so is Russia, India, China, and Japan.

[edit on 7/27/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

I hate to take wind out of any sails, but the notion of an intentional act against a supposed "alien base" (or any other installation that one would care to imagine) is simply not plausible.

If you have "Google Moon" handy, you can look at the South Pole, and see the site where the Indian probe was crashed intentionally, back last November. It was also hoping to kick up a big enough cloud to look for signs of water ice, but at only 35 kg, it may not have been large enough.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
what's the punishment for violating a space law anyway? 3 months community service?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This is ridiculous. ElectricUniverse, Chovy, Disclosure Agent...have any of you bothered to do any due diligence before you took this article at face value?

It is clear none of you have actually read the Outer Space Treaty of 1967. There is nothing in the treaty that forbids alerting another world's surface. It is ludicrous to think that it would as any and all human activity would alter a world's surface.

Nor does it forbid this particular method of exploration as the LCROSS is not a weapon. What will be impacting the surface is the 2300 lb upper-stage, and very spent, portion of the rocket that carried LCROSS to the moon. This will eject 350 tons of material from the lunar surface. 350 tons is no where near the 5 mile crater ElectricUniverse is claiming it will make. And the plume will only be 6 miles high, a negligible fraction of the distance from the Moon to the Earth, so there is no danger from this material.

By far the most ridiculous argument against this mission is that it may cause a war with an alien race on the moon. This could not be more absurd. Do you really think if there was an alien race on the moon, an advanced intelligence capable of crossing the stars and shielding themselves from the constant bombardment of meteors and radiation the moon suffers, that they would be at all bothered by this mission or that it would be capable of doing them the slightest harm?

The opposition of the believers to this mission borders on outright stupidity.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
my days, well, that sounds like a great reason for russia to get pissed off and send over some of that nuke luv!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

so what's your opinion smart guy? are you okay with nasa launching a nuke at the moon? does that sound ethical to you?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

There is no nuke being sent to the moon.

There was a plan to do it in the 50's but it never happened.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

When did it morph from an empty, used rocket stage to a "nuke"???

You DO know that we've dropped quite a lot of other big, heavy things on the Moon already, right????

Look up the Apollo missions, for instance.

Or, embrace ignorance.

You have that choice.

[edit on 27 July 2009 by weedwhacker]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chovy
so what's your opinion smart guy? are you okay with nasa launching a nuke at the moon? does that sound ethical to you?

I think I made my opinion pretty clear in my post.

And NASA is not launching a nuke in to the moon.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Wow, the moon gets hit by meteorites all the time...

What a joke this article is. He's worried about supposed alien bases on the dark side of the moon? Riiiight. What do the aliens do when big space debris hits the moon?

This story is completely implausible.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DoomsdayRex

Wow, nice... I guess you didn't check the facts yourself did you?....

NASA's mission to bomb the Moon
NASA will tomorrow launch a spectacular mission to bomb the Moon. Their LCROSS mission will blast off from Cape Canaveral, Florida, carrying a missile that will blast a hole in the lunar surface at twice the speed of a bullet[size]. The missile, a Centaur rocket, will be steered by a shepherding spacecraft that will guide it towards its target - a crater close to the Moon's south pole. Scientists expect the blast to be so powerful that a huge plume of debris will be ejected.
The spacecraft will not head straight for the Moon. First it will orbit the Earth a number of times while its precise target is identified. Finally, it will send the missile into the Moon at twice the speed of a bullet on October 8.

www.scientificamerican.com...

The article i posted stated it is "a 2-ton kinetic weapon"... I didn't say anything about a nuclear weapon. This thing will be hurled at twice the speed of a bullet. Are you claiming a gun is not a weapon either?...

Next time you want to point at anyone's stupidity, make sure you are not the one looking stupid.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Oh, and BTW, about the size of the crater created by the Centaur rocket...

To Anthony Colaprete, a planetary physicist and chief scientist for the LCROSS mission, the brilliant burst of matter his crashing Centaur will eject is the ultimate goal of the current mission.

"In only a few seconds, we'll see the brilliant flash from the crash," he said Wednesday from Cape Canaveral. "The ejecta should show first as a single bright, shimmering star; we're calling it sunrise. Seconds later, even modest telescopes on Earth should see two blurry stars as the ejecta spreads wider and higher."

Those blurry lights would show as stars of the fourth or fifth magnitude, Colaprete said - possibly as bright as the Andromeda nebula. That spectacle may last only 60 seconds or so, Colaprete said, but it will signal that the Centaur's crash has created a fresh crater up to 5 miles wide at a carefully selected spot inside the larger target crater.

Within 10 minutes, dense material ejected from that crater should rise some 6 miles high, with the water ice - perhaps billions of years old, if it exists at all - turning instantly to vapor. And within an hour, detectable hydrogen and oxygen should rise as high as 60 miles, according to calculations by Colaprete's team at Ames.

After the Centaur rocket crash, LCROSS, its fuel spent, will slam into the lunar surface as well, its job done.

www.sfgate.com

You can take both your feet off your mouth now...thank you...

[edit on 27-7-2009 by ElectricUniverse]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

Bonehead reporter.
5 mile wide crater? Hardly. I wonder where he pulled that out of. (studiously avoiding a San Francisco joke).

Here's what Colaprete really says:

The neat thing about LCROSS is we know exactly when and where this impact is going to occur. The impact crater that LCROSS is going to make is about 20 to 30 meters. It's about the size of the East Crater. This is the Apollo 11 landing site. Here's the landing module here. This is East Crater. They flew right over this on their way to here. This is about a 10 meter or so crater.

www.nasa.gov...

Podcast

The impactor will strike with much less velocity than a "natural" collision and will add one very small, very shallow crater to the moon. The Solar System has done far more damage. It would take something considerably more massive than the Centaur to create a 5 mile crater.

[edit on 7/28/2009 by Phage]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
The article i posted stated it is "a 2-ton kinetic weapon"...

The article you posted was full of loaded language, intended to manipulate the audience.

You might want to look up the definition of a "weapon."

any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.

That doesn't quite fit the description of LCROSS, does it?

I didn't say anything about a nuclear weapon.

I didn't say you did. Chovy did.

This thing will be hurled at twice the speed of a bullet. Are you claiming a gun is not a weapon either?...

A complete non-sequitur.

...Colaprete said, but it will signal that the Centaur's crash has created a fresh crater up to 5 miles wide at a carefully selected spot inside the larger target crater.

First off, common sense should tell you a 2300 lb object traveling at twice the speed of "a bullet" will not make a crater 5 miles wide.

Second, notice that is not a direct quote from Dr. Colaprete. The 5 mile crater is just bad reporting. Direct from Dr. Colaprete:

As I mentioned, the LCROSS crater is only going to be about 20 or 30 meters across.

Like I said...due diligence.

[edit on 28-7-2009 by DoomsdayRex]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I'm just tryin to warn everyone. don't come crying to me when the aliens get pissed off after nasa bombs their bases.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chovy
I'm just tryin to warn everyone. don't come crying to me when the aliens get pissed off after nasa bombs their bases.

First off, why in the hell do you think NASA is going to bomb an alien base? That is nothing but idiotic speculation. Those doing this idiotic speculation have provided zero evidence that this is NASA's intention.

Second, the moon suffers an impact of this size at least twice a month. Do you really think an alien species capable of traveling to here from wherever, capable of protecting themselves from dozens of impacts a year plus solar radiation would be the slightest bit bothered by this?

This is bordering on stupidity.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Any ETs on the Moon reading this...

NASA don't speak for me or anyone else that CONDEMNS this primitive act - and we are sorry for their BS (as I'm sure you are).

We don't know how to stop them bombing the Moon - as this corporation just does its own thing without ANY permission of the people of this planet it says it represents.

NASA by now as you should know - represents deception. We oppose deception!

Actually - if you want, you guys can take out that missile whenever you want (as we know you can) - and we will accept this as an achievement in peace, and a step forward into our evolution, and help to lift the quarantine our planet is currently under, and has been since we were genetically engineered by other ETs..

Thanks for listening!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join