It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police can use force to compel hurricane evacuation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Police can use force to compel hurricane evacuation

www.caller.com

A new state law will allow police to arrest people who don’t leave town under mandatory evacuation orders.

As it stands, officials cannot compel people to evacuate, only warn that those who stay behind won’t have any emergency services at their disposal. The new law gives county judges and mayors the power to authorize use of “reasonable force” to remove people from the area.

The law, passed this year, takes effect Sept. 1, in the heart of hurricane season in Texas. It also applies to other disasters, such as fires or floods.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Fortunately, I have never experienecd a natural disaster of such intensity that local/state/federal emergency officials have needed to evacuate my family from our home. I have always wondered "could they....would they?"

Last summer, the Mississippi River region near Iowa and Illinois experienecd devastating floods. The areas are still recovering to this day.

I was disheartened to see "mandatory evacuations" set and then local police, sherrifs and national guard entering the homes of evacuated citizens, EVEN THOUGH THEY TOLD THE RESIDENTS NOBODY WOULD ENTER THE HOME.

I also saw YouTube videos of Iowa residents evacuating the region by boat, only to have their firearms confiscated by emergency officials.

www.caller.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Well, it is understandable they would do it as so many people think nothing will happen to them, then they are stuck or injured and it is costly to have to go in and rescue them. On the other hand, it depends on what kind of force they use. I say ok, if you don't go when it is mandatory and you stay then you have to be rescued or taken food or medically treated, then yes, you pay for it and pay a fine as well, otherwise, it ought to be a case of you stayed, deal with it. But then again, you have the idiots that think because they were stupid people should come running. I dunno, there's a fine line in this one.

[edit on 7/27/09 by opal13]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by opal13
Well, it is understandable they would do it as so many people think nothing will happen to them, then they are stuck or injured and it is costly to have to go in and rescue them. On the other hand, it depends on what kind of force they use. I say ok, if you don't go when it is mandatory and someone then you have to be rescued or taken food or medically treated, then yes, you pay for it and pay a fine as well, otherwise, it ought to be a case of you stayed, deal with it. But then again, you have the idiots that think because they were stupid people should come running. I dunno, there's a fine line in this one.

I would have to agree with you, on the merits of public saftey.

Beyond that, the article makes the "use of force" sound innocent and harmless. I do it remains just that and does not become excessive.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
It is indeed a razor thin line on this one. I was glad to see the term "reasonable force." That means if I flat refuse, they won't shoot me to save my life!!

The problem is even after people are warned, and they choose to stay behind, they still expect emergency workers to come save them!! It is unreasonable to expect people to risk their lives to save you after you refused the original order.

It also seems unreasonable to be "forced" to evacuate.

I think you should be able to refuse, but they should not waste any manpower in coming back for you later. You are on your own!!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:55 AM
link   
What is the point of having firearms if you do not use them when the fascists try to confiscate them?

This is something I never understood.

Just a question, Im not advocating anything, just wondering why?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I remember some vidoes on youtube
I think it was maybe dateline, not sure though

this old woman didn't want to leave her home, maybe during katrina not sure.

police came in, but looked like private contractors, and beat the woman up.

excessive force was definately used and she was an old woman.
Very sad.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
I remember some vidoes on youtube
I think it was maybe dateline, not sure though

this old woman didn't want to leave her home, maybe during katrina not sure.

police came in, but looked like private contractors, and beat the woman up.

excessive force was definately used and she was an old woman.
Very sad.

There is a pretty big difference regarding post disaster evacuations like in flooded areas of New Orleans after the hurricane and pre-disaster evacuations.

If your home is no longer structuarly safe or environmentally safe to the point that it would be condemned during a non-disaster there are plenty of laws on the book to compell abandoning the home.

Breathing toxic mold in a flooded out house is just not a good idea, some forms of mold can grow right through your lungs and brain.

Many ATS Members question the holes in some of my theories and well there were no holes in my theories before toxic mold put holes in my brain!

Just kidding.

If you aren't liscened to carry a firearm in your state they sure are going to take your guns away when they do even if it's a liscened firearm.

If you are being evacuated to someplace where you can't be reasonably expected to keep your firearm secure say like an evacuation shelter.

As far as entering homes post disaster looking for victims or structural damage to deem if the home is safe to return too that makes sense too.

Some homes after Katrina weren't entered or were entered and just hastily inspected and in a few cases corpses rotted for months and months inside without anyone having any idea.

If you really don't want to evacuate hide in a closet or attic or floorboards they won't spend much time searching you out.

If you really want to keep your firearms don't evacuate with the herd to where the herd is going.

If you don't really want your home entered then booby trap it and put up a sign that says it's been booby trapped.

I live in a mandatory evacuation zone for even a category 1 hurricane no one has ever knocked on the door and insisted I evacuate. I doubt anyone will, too many people to little time, to few responders.

I assume all risks though and provision myself well for just about any contingency (I even have malaria pills in my emergency kit the Jones family is still trying to figure out how I managed that!).

Poor people, the indigent, large families, especially those with small children, the elderly and the infirm really should get out of potential harms way though and if they lack the resources or where with all to do it on their own...well in theory that is what we keep a corrupt, lying, stealing, cheating, murdering, self serving, no good, two timing, double faced, hypocritical government around for isn't it?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Yes, but what if they force you to go to a more dangerous place.

When Rita came to Texas, I remembered them pushing most of Houston toward East Texas. The storm was predicted to hit Houston. It took a cousin of mine 17 hours to make a two hour trip.

Wouldn't you know the storm shifted at the last moment and headed toward East Texas. All these people followed orders to escape the Hurricane only to run into it at the last moment.

I say if you are crazy enough to ignore the warnings, then stay. Just don't be calling for help once your boat starts to sink.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Don't force people to leave their homes, if they choose not to leave when the evacuation is ordered (suggested?), leave them on their own.
WHEN they decide during the emergency that they need to leave, don't help them. It will only take one big disaster before people are more willing to take their evacuation into their own hands.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Yes, but what if they force you to go to a more dangerous place.

When Rita came to Texas, I remembered them pushing most of Houston toward East Texas. The storm was predicted to hit Houston. It took a cousin of mine 17 hours to make a two hour trip.

Wouldn't you know the storm shifted at the last moment and headed toward East Texas. All these people followed orders to escape the Hurricane only to run into it at the last moment.

I say if you are crazy enough to ignore the warnings, then stay. Just don't be calling for help once your boat starts to sink.

If you plan to evacuate do it early and have a plan for doing it early.

Try to avoid the herd by being out in front of it, to the side or well behind it.

Hurricanes can and do turn and a slight shift in track when it's hundreds of miles away can make the difference between a wide miss or a bullseye.

I favor hunkering down in anything under a category 4. A category 4 hurricane is deadly and a category 5 hurricane is downright lethal.

If you suspect a category 4 or 5 storm is going to hit you, you really do need to get out of dodge Hurricane Andrew actually destroyed the National Hurricane Center's headquarters in Miami when it hit it at a category 5.

Most hurricanes are a retailer's dream as people stock up on food, lumber, medicine and other essential items. The media does drive the hype because it pays to drive the hype.

Know your own buildings limitations, and know flood histories in your area.

I know my windows will hold from winds up to 140 miles an hour.

I know it will take a 30 foot tidal surge to flood my property.

If 24 hours out I think a hurricane could hit with sustained winds above 140 or provide a tidal surge of 30 feet or more I am seriously going to think about evacuating.

To some place where I can catch the 140 mile an hour plus winds and a thirty foot wave in all their glory!

Party on dude!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
In my experience, and I have vast hurricane experience, you will -always- have those few people that will refuse to leave a mandatory evacuation zone.

I live in South Florida. I lived through hurricane Andrew, and countless hurricanes afterward. The last major hurricane to pound us was Wilma, which knocked out power to most of southern Florida for close to three weeks.

South Florida has always had mandatory evacuation areas on the coast, bay areas, and low lying areas. They are called mandatory, but the police will and do leave residents there if they wish to stay. The residents are told on many fronts, TV, Radio, over police loudspeakers, that there will be absolutely no emergency services dispatched during the storm to those areas. They are on their own, and they know it.

It is however a bit different for us in south Florida. We have had to deal with hurricanes for centuries, and we are pretty good at it by now. Our building codes have been constantly improved with strong hurricanes in mind, and our buildings can handle them for the most part. Every hurricane season there is a local media blitz on how to prepare for hurricanes. Most Floridians know the drill, and it is mostly for the newcomers to the area that have no experience with them.

After hurricanes, and during the time of "rebuilding" much of the time there is no looting or rioting. It almost feels like a camping trip, and you end up meeting neighbors you may have never met otherwise. It really brings about a feeling of community.

I highly doubt that forced mandatory evacuations will be used anytime soon down here. We have a pretty good system of dealing with hurricanes in place, and there really is no need to change it.

[edit on 27-7-2009 by xmaddness]

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
So in order to save someones life from a hurricane the police are going to shoot them? That makes perfect sense.

As the MagPul website states.

"We prepare, so we don't end up at the superdome" -MagPul

www.magpul.com...

new topics

top topics

join