It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien-Wasp Swarms Devouring Birds, Bugs in Hawaii

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Alien-Wasp Swarms Devouring Birds, Bugs in Hawaii

news.nationalgeographic.com

Attacking from nests as big as pickup-truck beds, invasive western yellowjacket wasps in Hawaii are munching their way through an "astonishing diversity" of creatures, from caterpillars to pheasants, a new study says.

Adult yellowjackets consume only nectar. But they kill or scavenge prey to deliver needed protein to their growing broods.

"They basically just carry it in their mandibles—you see them flying with their balls of meat," said lead study author Erin Wilson, who just finished her Ph.D. at the University of California, San Diego.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:03 AM
link   
So wasps are eating meat now?

I remember hearing how Africanized bees are becoming a major problem across America. Now it seems these guys could pose some problems too!

How rare is it that these occurrences happen?
I know that some monkeys (i think its monkeys) get a blood lust and can kill and eat there own kind. Is that for the same reason (protein intake) or is that a social/dominance aspect?

Its very interesting nonetheless.

news.nationalgeographic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
What is the 'alien' part ?

Illigal Alien ???

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
A fascinating read but I thought it was common knowledge that wasps scavenge meat. When I was a youth, I used to lay out bits of steak, pork, sausage, and just about anything meaty and watch with my friends, as wasps would come in and scavenge.

I love wasps, they are an incredible species that gets much bad press but then I have a thing for insects

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

I think its because they are not native to Hawaii.

In their native habitat in the western U.S., the wasps die off in winter. But in Hawaii the wasps survive the winter, possibly due to mild year-round temperatures or subtle genetic changes.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiveForever8

In their native habitat in the western U.S., the wasps die off in winter. But in Hawaii the wasps survive the winter, possibly due to mild year-round temperatures or subtle genetic changes.

Sounds like a plan too me !

Think one day, you have 100 of these chewing your arm off .

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Two words... Liquid Nitrogen. Any questions?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather

Originally posted by LiveForever8

Sounds like a plan too me !

Think one day, you have 100 of these chewing your arm off .

Nah they are common here in the states. More pests than anything really even though they do they honey bee thing (as far as pollination) so we let em live. Usually they go through this "flesh feeding frenzy" from the inside of trashcans picking up bits of leftovers here and there. I'm still wondering who the *&^*# dumb (*& was that (*&$#%( brought a (%*&(%#*& queen to Hawaii.. They deserve to be (%*$#&% shot!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
At least these aren't those deadly ones from Japan. That would be really scary. Yeah, no doubt there's some remedy for control, but they've done that before in Hawaii and have changed the ecosystem? and killed species off. As long as people come and go there with trade etc. this will continue to change.

I can see the US and other countries still having plagues like these for awhile.

top topics

join