It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mama don't take my kodachrome away

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Kodachrome has been produced for almost 75 years, providing several generations of high-quality analogue photography. Kodachrome offers a number of benefits: It barely fades for over a century, for example, and it retains a sharpness and precision that is hard to match.

Kodak announced recently it would stop making Kodachrome film. Apparently it accounts for far less than 1% of their revenue now that everything has gone digital.

Below, Fortune mag has put together a tribute galary to Kodachrome photography, starting with some stunning images from the '30s and '40s.

money.cnn.com...

Interestingly enough, I have heard that Kodachrome enthusiasts have "stockpiled" 50,000 rolls of the fim. However, after the doors at Kodak swing shut, there will be only one lab in the world with the ability to process new Kodachrome photos...located in Kansas, it, too, will stop processing next year.

Goodby, my old friend Kodachrome.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Digital is nice but I think everything should still be backed up on film and paper photos. They are not fire proof but still, hard drives fail, cds fail, digital files become corrupted and the photos are gone forever. I guess digital isn't completely fireproof either though. You take a picture three hundred years old for instance, chances are it wouldn't be here today if it had been a digital photo. I love digital but it has its drawbacks.

join