It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earth bears scars of human destruction - astronaut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Earth bears scars of human destruction - astronaut

www.reuters.com

A Canadian astronaut aboard the International Space Station said on Sunday it looks like Earth's ice caps have melted a bit since he was last in orbit 12 years ago.

"It's a very thin veil of atmosphere around the Earth that keeps us alive," Thirsk said during an in-flight news conference. "Most of the time when I look out the window I'm in awe. But there are some effects of the human destruction of the Earth as well."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
It should be pointed out that the astronaut's statements are merely based on opinion and offers no scientific evidence to support his assertion.

"This is probably just a perception, but I just have the feeling that the glaciers are melting, the snow capping the mountains is less than it was 12 years ago when I saw it last time," Thrisk said. "That saddens me a little bit."
www.reuters.com...

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
There is no doubt that human impact on the planet is destroying the natural ecosystem.

Some one wrote on one of those save the planet sites that the earth was designed to handle about a billion people riding bicycles and not 6 billion people driving SUV's.

It made sense to me!

I sold my car and bought a bicycle! My legs are sore but my gasoline bill sure isn't soaring! Nor is my insurance.

One down, 5,999,999,999 to go...what's your excuse?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

That'd mean supporting the eradication of 5/6th of the world's population also, wouldn't it?

I wonder if that astronaut also believes the Earth's polar regions have been ice covered throughout Earth's history?

[edit on 7/26/09 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by MOFreemason

Silly question but the last time he was up, was it winter, or summer?

I also want to know where he calibrated his eyes. (Mine are due. . . )

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This is not news in any form. If you read the article it is just the guy's opinion based on what he thinks he saw the previous time he was at the international space station. That is about as scientific as the science behind all this Man Made Global Warming BS!

So here is what I think, it is all garbage meant to destroy America by bankrupting everyone through illegitimate taxes that supposedly reduce the so called green house gases. I wonder why India and other industrialized nations are refusing to sign on to this crap? Any ideas out there?

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

That'd mean supporting the eradication of 5/6th of the world's population also, wouldn't it?

I wonder if that astronaut also believes the Earth's polar regions have been ice covered throughout Earth's history?

[edit on 7/26/09 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

It very well could mean that friend Ferris...

I thought having the bicycle already might give me an edge in the selection process

I have to say I am happy with the decision I made, I live in South Florida and everything is flat except the bridges over the Causeway but even there effort has it's reward bicycle riders don't have to pay the tolls!

I find I go out to a lot more places where parking was at a premium to find and expensive.

I am getting more fresh air and sunshine, feel great about no longer poluting the environment and estatic no longer having to buy gasoline.

I find I can get to some places even faster than in a car since I am not always having to stop for every red light that comes along.

I will miss the other 5 Billion people Ferris!

I doubt the planet itself will.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
There is no doubt that human impact on the planet is destroying the natural ecosystem.

Is it kinder to the earth to just step it up and get ourselves extincted sooner rather than later? At least then recovery can begin.

Some one wrote on one of those save the planet sites that the earth was designed to handle about a billion people riding bicycles and not 6 billion people driving SUV's.

It made sense to me!

6 billion drive SUV's? I can say all 6 BN don't actually want SUV's, at least not for daily driving. I'm quite sure it isn't quite that fragile and can handle some modest use of machines.

I sold my car and bought a bicycle! My legs are sore but my gasoline bill sure isn't soaring! Nor is my insurance.

I know that at least one person's excuse to drive and SUV is that they need an SUV to carry effects for work and the nature of the work requires more travel and load capacity than any bicycle will ever offer.

Anyway, I thought we were at about 6.6 BN now.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Maybe this Astronaut should consult with the likes of Buzz Aldrin and Harrison Schmitt, both Apollo Mission Veterans, who are also amongst the most brilliant and elite that NASA has ever employed (During the "Great Space Race" of the 1960's and 1970's No Less). They both consider AGW to be bunk, and I do consider their words to carry an EXTREME amount of Scientific Truth and resulting Weight behind them.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I use to be in the car business and I can tell you that I have sold train loads of SUV's to people who don't really require them.

I can tell you that many of the people who bought them wish they hadn't when gas prices sky rocketed again.

You can disect the numbers and parse them to a degree for the sake of feeling good or just being statistically correct but the reality remains that people do some very destructive things to the environment without real need.

Do some ranchers, rescue personell, farmers, transport companies, schools and large families benefit from having large vehicles?

Sure, of course they do, does that mean everyone does?

In my case I looked at where I was driving to and why and at what cost and impact and frankly it didn't make sense.

We could redicule that and the intentions or we could see it for what it is, sensible.

Many people polute and consume beyond any naturual need to do so, and that's something worth considering and worth changing when ever and wherever possible.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I enjoy trail biking on the weekends, but I do it for myself. It does work the legs. That's for sure! I don't pay any attention to the Illuminati claptrap of eradicating a majority of the world's population. I do believe though the Earth's climate is changing, as it has done since it's inception, from arctic poles to tropical poles and back.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:22 PM
link   
like the economy i believe the world follows a rise and break cycle, we destroy everything to the extent of extinction, the world has millions of years to cleanse and redevelop and it all starts over again, it cannot be stopped, however of course the sun exploding would put a quick end to this place so at the end of the day, meh

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II

I enjoy trail biking on the weekends, but I do it for myself. It does work the legs. That's for sure! I don't pay any attention to the Illuminati claptrap of eradicating a majority of the world's population. I do believe though the Earth's climate is changing, as it has done since it's inception, from arctic poles to tropical poles and back.

I believe global warming his purely fictional and nonsense. I agree with you there.

What I do worry about is that water quality in our rivers and oceans is being impacted by chemical polutants.

Some species are being over fished and over hunted to extinction.

Gasoline itself is a particuarly enslaving commodity. I can honestly say I do not think the real estate market would have crashed as hard as it did has the speculation in gasoline futures last summer not led to record high prices that broke many families budgets and let to a significant rise in food costs further straining family budgets.

Forced between paying for gas to get to work and the store and groceries for on the table versus making a mortgage or car payment on time and most people will opt to buy the gas and groceries.

The cable TV too by the way.

It's not that the earth is over populated it is poorly balanced and managed.

That poor balance and mismanagement leads to a lot of life shortening and life ending hardships for a huge number of people on the planet.

The Illuminati do fight wars and introduce diseases and other hardships to try to effect a balance in over populated regions where infrastructure and commerce as it is logistically set up in those areas do not provide for the population and the cost of providing those additional resources is deemed to high for people who in fact really are classified as "Worthless Eaters" in U.S. Government Reports even like Project 2000 compiled by the Carter Administration.

Right now we are seriously out of ballance again, too few jobs in too many places, too many resources in too few hands who do mismanage them.

In large part I consider myself to be a highly adaptive person who will make changes to lessen the impact that out of ballance changes can have on me.

Society and civilization currently is in big trouble and is being horrendously managed, its why I favor people better considering how to manage themselves.

Thanks for your many good points.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Wrong.

Humans are a part of the ecosystem. The species and everything we do is perfectly natural.

We are doing exactly what we have evolved to do.

Apparently you don't like that.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1
Humans are a part of the ecosystem. The species and everything we do is perfectly natural.

I agree on that whole heartedly. Though one other capability we evolved naturally to a higher degree than any other is to be able to consider the consequences of our actions, to be thoughful. That power can be wielded in many ways for benefit or harm to the whole. The greater the power the greater the extremes. Unfortunately, overwhemingly, it is used myopically.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
The arrogance of man at it's finest.

This planet has existed for billions of years, and people think ~one-hundred-and-fifty years of human life is leading to it's destruction? That is nothing more than absolute arrogance on behalf of the human race. It's absolutely pathetic.

This planet existed before us, and it will exist long after we're gone and dead. Man-made global warming is one of the dumbest, non-logical theories I have ever heard.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Exuberant1

Wrong.

Apparently you don't like that.

You are correct I don't like it !

I am allowed to not like some things.

You forget perhaps your own words...

We are doing exactly what we are supposed to be doing...

Didn't you know so am I?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   

It made sense to me!

Lol i would love to the the source for that great statistic, 6 billion SUV's!?!? Now we know why the US car industry is in trouble, everybody on earth already has an SUV why would they need to buy any more lol.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
The man of the article is a professional, if any dufuss could be up there we'd all be in line. This guy simply made an observation and pointed out the obvious. Are we STILL debating loss of ice at the caps? really?...

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Does this astronaut believe we're responsible for the rest of the planets in our solar system warming up too?

# happens, our planet is warming. Just like it has in the past, right before (and right after) it cooled down... Over and over and over again. Guess what... It's going to get hotter. Then, it's going to get colder, again. And AGAIN!

It's almost like it's this, what's the word, oh yea... it's almost like a cycle or something.

new topics

top topics

join